Straight Razor Honing

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
dasmokeryaget
Guitar Hero
Guitar Hero

Straight Razor Honing

Post by dasmokeryaget » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:36 pm

I've started shaving with a straight razor.

I have several now. I have a strop and a stone or two but they aren't sufficient for any more than maintaining and edge.

I've watched a gaggle of You Tube videos on honing but there's a million different methods that seem way over complicated.

Anyone here know of a simple method utilizing simple and minimal equipment?

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Re: Straight Razor Honing

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:54 pm

What? Where? Yer half a flippin ape. You ain't shavin' nufink.
DL Jake

how is your scrotum? - Roadmaster

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:12 pm

I have a two sided Norton wet stone. If I remember right it’s 4000/8000. I touch up the edge of my straight razor on it about once a year. I maintain the edge with diamond paste on a paddle strop followed by a plain leather paddle strop. Ten passes on the diamond paste and 100 passes on the plain strop before each shave keeps honing to a bare minimum.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Winton
Minister of Dad Jokes
Minister of Dad Jokes

Post by Winton » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:14 am

I tried a straight razor a couple times. The last time, my wife saw how much blood was shed.

YOU REALLY NEED TO STOP DOING THAT!!!!!

I am back to a safety razor!

Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:57 am

I never tried a straight razor. I am a Beardy McBeardface now so it doesn't matter.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:24 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:57 am
I never tried a straight razor. I am a Beardy McBeardface now so it doesn't matter.
I leave the straight razor for the barber as he trims the edges of my Beardy McBeardface. I'm no into self inflicted wounds.

dasmokeryaget
Guitar Hero
Guitar Hero

Post by dasmokeryaget » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:25 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:12 pm
I have a two sided Norton wet stone. If I remember right it’s 4000/8000. I touch up the edge of my straight razor on it about once a year. I maintain the edge with diamond paste on a paddle strop followed by a plain leather paddle strop. Ten passes on the diamond paste and 100 passes on the plain strop before each shave keeps honing to a bare minimum.

Thanks. Apparently such devices have to be ordered over the internet. Walmart didn't carry them.

AnungUnRama
Usher
Usher

Post by AnungUnRama » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:48 pm

dasmokeryaget wrote:
SlowToke wrote:

Thanks. Apparently such devices have to be ordered over the internet. Walmart didn't carry them.
Walmart doesnt carry much, but they sure do have a ton of the crap they do carry. They do have safety razor blades but that's about as traditional as it gets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dasmokeryaget
Guitar Hero
Guitar Hero

Post by dasmokeryaget » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:49 pm

AnungUnRama wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:48 pm
dasmokeryaget wrote:
SlowToke wrote:

Walmart doesnt carry much, but they sure do have a ton of the crap they do carry. They do have safety razor blades but that's about as traditional as it gets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I was being sarcastic and you are right.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:35 pm

Been using a safety razor for almost a year now. If I could only do my head with getting cut up. Paging JimVH.
I only fart around people I like. Loved ones are warned.

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:15 pm

Fainn wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:35 pm
Been using a safety razor for almost a year now. If I could only do my head with getting cut up. Paging JimVH.
I’m too chicken for a straight razor and old school safety razors didn’t do a good job for my head. I’ve tried a bunch of stuff, but always come back to the double edge disposable razor heads. I use Dollar Shave Clubs cheapest blades. One pack every other month gives me close, comfortable shaves on my scalp.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

dasmokeryaget
Guitar Hero
Guitar Hero

Post by dasmokeryaget » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:30 pm

SlowToke wrote:
I haven't been able to find the Norton but I just happen to have a barber stone. I got a real good edge with just that and a leather strop. I even managed to get a decent shave with it but still not quite there. What grade of paste?

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:51 pm

This is free. Just pay $6.95 for shipping.

https://shop.manlygroomer.com/order-323 ... SX0gg1RReE

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:56 am

Fainn wrote:
Kojak used an electric razor. I've got an old friend that uses cheap electric clippers bare bladed. It leaves a little stubble but it looks fine, kind of like USMC boot camp length. Capt. Jean Luc Picard pulled off that look. I don't see why you couldn't. Seems to me that a session with a Norelco while you're sitting on the toilet, reading the paper and smoking your pipe in the morning would be killing four birds with one stone.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:04 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:56 am
Fainn wrote:
Kojak used an electric razor. I've got an old friend that uses cheap electric clippers bare bladed. It leaves a little stubble but it looks fine, kind of like USMC boot camp length. Capt. Jean Luc Picard pulled off that look. I don't see why you couldn't. Seems to me that a session with a Norelco while you're sitting on the toilet, reading the paper and smoking your pipe in the morning would be killing four birds with one stone.
Been using Wahl's with no clippers, but you can tell after a few days where my bald spot is.

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:14 pm

dasmokeryaget wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:30 pm
SlowToke wrote:
I haven't been able to find the Norton but I just happen to have a barber stone. I got a real good edge with just that and a leather strop. I even managed to get a decent shave with it but still not quite there. What grade of paste?
Check out shavemyface.com or badgerandblade.com . Haven't been there in a while, but TONS of info and helpful folks.
Gossett closed his bag of Cheezits and silently prayed

dasmokeryaget
Guitar Hero
Guitar Hero

Post by dasmokeryaget » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:18 pm

sysiphus wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:14 pm
dasmokeryaget wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
Check out shavemyface.com or badgerandblade.com . Haven't been there in a while, but TONS of info and helpful folks.

Thanks

dasmokeryaget
Guitar Hero
Guitar Hero

Post by dasmokeryaget » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:21 pm

Fainn wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:51 pm
This is free. Just pay $6.95 for shipping.

https://shop.manlygroomer.com/order-323 ... SX0gg1RReE
Thanks. I've got a butt load of straight razors.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:37 pm

dasmokeryaget wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
I use a four sided strop. I use three sides. One with #1/2 grade diamond paste (I rarely use this side.) One side with #1/4 grade diamond paste. I strop it ten times on this side before every shave followed by 100 times on the straight leather side. I hone about once per year.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne