Space Aged

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Space Aged

Post by tuttle » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:35 am

Wine cellar in space: 12 bottles arrive for year of aging

A dozen bottles of fine French wine arrived at the space station Monday, not for the astronauts, but for science.

The red Bordeaux wine will age for a year up there before returning to Earth. Researchers will study how weightlessness and space radiation affect the aging process. The goal is to develop new flavors and properties for the food industry.
Other items like barley seeds and scotch are being experimented on as well.

I'd drink it.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Re: Space Aged

Post by Del » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:37 pm

tuttle wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:35 am

A dozen bottles of fine French wine arrived at the space station Monday, not for the astronauts, but for science.

The red Bordeaux wine will age for a year up there before returning to Earth. Researchers will study how weightlessness and space radiation affect the aging process. The goal is to develop new flavors and properties for the food industry.

I'd drink it.
Criminy.

We age beer and wine in dark bottles and dark cellars because we already know that normal radiation (sunlight) is harmful to the delicious flavors.

Weightlessness just means that the dregs won't settle. In beer, we use the settled mass of dead yeast to remove the coagulated proteins and other "trub."

Thousands of years of selectively choosing those yeasts that settle well, wasted by space-age novelty.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:02 pm

Del wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:37 pm
tuttle wrote:

I'd drink it.
Criminy.

We age beer and wine in dark bottles and dark cellars because we already know that normal radiation (sunlight) is harmful to the delicious flavors.

Weightlessness just means that the dregs won't settle. In beer, we use the settled mass of dead yeast to remove the coagulated proteins and other "trub."

Thousands of years of selectively choosing those yeasts that settle well, wasted by space-age novelty.
But would you drink it?

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:53 pm

Good grief Del. I understand you're a Christian Pipe smoker so, by definition, you appreciate the old days, but dang man, not every new thing is bad and not every old thing is better.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:00 pm

The moon should become our wine cellar.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

"We are in a battle, therefore, between a world made out of social constructs and the world made out of created essences." -Doug Wilson

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:17 pm

This got me investigating.

I found a few years back an Oregon brewery produced a Stout Fermented with Space-Traveled Yeast

No idea if it's still being brewed but looks to be available basically in the west (and Colorado...hook me up FredS!)

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:26 pm

tuttle wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:17 pm
This got me investigating.

I found a few years back an Oregon brewery produced a Stout Fermented with Space-Traveled Yeast

No idea if it's still being brewed but looks to be available basically in the west (and Colorado...hook me up FredS!)
We could steal the yeast from the bottom of the bottle.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

"We are in a battle, therefore, between a world made out of social constructs and the world made out of created essences." -Doug Wilson

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:48 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:53 pm
Good grief Del. I understand you're a Christian Pipe smoker so, by definition, you appreciate the old days, but dang man, not every new thing is bad and not every old thing is better.
I'm also an old chemist, an old home brewer, and an old aircraft pilot.

I have old relationships with fermentation and with gravity. Zero-g offers novel opportunities.... wasting a year of aging wine in space won't tell us much.

I suppose it might get Europeans interested in helping us plan a manned mission to Mars, or something. Russians already take vodka to the space station.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate

Post by rgcurrey » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:54 pm

This is just stupid. I would like to think some private company is paying a butt load of money for this "experiment," but, we all know it is probably government funded.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

arank87
Elder
Elder

Post by arank87 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:05 pm

Del wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:37 pm
tuttle wrote:

I'd drink it.
Criminy.

This
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

arank87
Elder
Elder

Post by arank87 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:05 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:54 pm
This is just stupid. I would like to think some private company is paying a butt load of money for this "experiment," but, we all know it is probably government funded.
And this
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:29 am

arank87 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:05 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
And this
But would you drink it?

arank87
Elder
Elder

Post by arank87 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:51 pm

tuttle wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:29 am
arank87 wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:
And this
But would you drink it?
Not if I had to pay for it.

Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:20 am

tuttle wrote:
arank87 wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:
And this
But would you drink it?
I'd drink it if I was stuck on a space station for a year.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:38 am

What if all those bottles come back empty? :yes:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:39 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:20 am
tuttle wrote:
arank87 wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:
And this
But would you drink it?
I'd drink it if I was stuck on a space station for a year.
^^^this^^^
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."