Kaywoodies

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Chip
Usher
Usher

Post by Chip » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:35 am

oh sure... I've had a couple pipes w/ those... I'm afraid to say I've actually pulled a couple out of the stem!... not knowing it was sought after feature!
Chip Richter ~ www.chiprichter.com

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:16 am

Chip, I think it only matters to serious collectors who want to preserve the complete integrity of the pipe or for further sale or trade. Some say the pipes actually smoke better without the stinger as the airway is more open. I've got some both ways, can't really tell any difference. I wouldn't refuse to buy one without a stinger, especially the higher end models, as my interest is more in smoking value than collection value. And some of those boys really do smoke well.

Steve

Chip
Usher
Usher

Post by Chip » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:31 am

Well that's relief... hate to think I would have devalued a collectible pipe...
I like having the airway unobstructed too... to me the pipe smokes better and I like having the option to be able to run a pipe cleaner through while smoking if I need to.
Thanks for the info. Steve... interesting.
Chip Richter ~ www.chiprichter.com

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Re: Kaywoodies

Post by Jocose » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:44 pm

I found an unsmoked rusticated Billiard Kaywoodie Signet for sale.

$65 seemed way too steep so I left it in the case.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:20 pm

I was smoking one of my early basket pipes last night...really enjoying it...and I thought I should get a Kaywoody or a Medico or a Dr Graybo...just solid pipes!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

AnungUnRama
Usher
Usher

Post by AnungUnRama » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:08 pm

I one had a 4 hole billiard I got for $10. Cleaned it up and sold to a friend for $20. Saw one later on smoking pipes for $200!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

driftedshank
Congregation
Congregation

Post by driftedshank » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:41 pm

Boys, there are some great older Kaywoodies out there for sure. 4 hole stinger models are ones to look out for. However, you might want to consider passing on those older pipes and see if you can get today's Kaywoodie handmade pipes. Bill Feuerbach makes some beautiful handmades in shapes that while traditional, are interesting variations on those shapes. He uses very old Italian and Greek plateaux for these pieces and his prices are great.

I have several and they are superb smokers. You don't see them promoted much and Bill produces them when he has time and feels like it. If you want one I suggest emailing him or calling him to see what's available. Search for SM Frank, Inc., I'm sure his contact info is there.

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:24 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:44 pm

It's been a while but I thought I'd comment on your post. You made the right call, that pipe shouldn't go for more than $25 - $35, unless it was unsmoked and in pristine condition. There is one caveat - it would be somewhat of a collector's item since it was rustic. Kaywoodie made two lines that were very similar - the Signet and the Silhouette. The Signet was a smooth pipe and the Silhouette was rustic. Both had the aluminum spacer (or "band" if you prefer). It is very unusual to find a rustic Signet. I have two of them, I think. I mentioned this to Bill F3 one time and he was surprised. Had to send him a picture. So if you're a Signet collector as I was, that might have been worth a little more to you. I still wouldn't pay that for it though.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:49 pm

Steverino wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:24 pm
Jocose wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:44 pm

It's been a while but I thought I'd comment on your post. You made the right call, that pipe shouldn't go for more than $25 - $35, unless it was unsmoked and in pristine condition. There is one caveat - it would be somewhat of a collector's item since it was rustic. Kaywoodie made two lines that were very similar - the Signet and the Silhouette. The Signet was a smooth pipe and the Silhouette was rustic. Both had the aluminum spacer (or "band" if you prefer). It is very unusual to find a rustic Signet. I have two of them, I think. I mentioned this to Bill F3 one time and he was surprised. Had to send him a picture. So if you're a Signet collector as I was, that might have been worth a little more to you. I still wouldn't pay that for it though.

Thanks for the info on the pipe, Steve. I figured $65 was too much. Last I looked in the case someone had bought it.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55