Boot Advice?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Boot Advice?

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:55 pm

I need a new pair of boots for the winter, hiking/walking boots not western boots and it rarely snows here or gets too cold so I don't need insulated boots.. The problem is that as I have gotten older my feet have widened out. Even a 4X wide shoe is too narrow in some brands (when I can find them). Last time I bought some walking shoes, I had to buy size 13 instead of 12 just to get them wide enough. Does anybody know of a quality boot that is truly WIDE, like 5X at least? I'm having trouble finding any online. I might just go with High Tech or Danner police boots but I'd rather get boots that I can road walk this winter and do some day hiking in the woods with, that don't weigh too much. I am borderline diabetic and have to be careful with my feet. Any input will be appreciated.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Re: Boot Advice?

Post by Steverino » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:01 pm

Danner is my favorite. Expensive but worth it. I wear a 13 4E. I've never looked to see if Danner goes any wider.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:11 pm

Steverino wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:01 pm
Danner is my favorite. Expensive but worth it. I wear a 13 4E. I've never looked to see if Danner goes any wider.
That would probably work for me. Thanks.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:15 am

Red Wings, the model made in the USA, I've found to be extraordinarily comfortable, and can be factory rebuilt so they'll last darned near forever (I've got nearly 30 year worth of mileage on mine and are finally ready to visit the mother-ship)
Alico makes a great boot, but I don't know if you can get them that wide. They sure are comfortable though!
I still have my pair of Danner combat boots from when I was in the army but I never could warm up to them, however if they work for you you'll find them very well made.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:25 am

Hovannes wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:15 am
Red Wings, the model made in the USA, I've found to be extraordinarily comfortable, and can be factory rebuilt so they'll last darned near forever (I've got nearly 30 year worth of mileage on mine and are finally ready to visit the mother-ship)
Alico makes a great boot, but I don't know if you can get them that wide. They sure are comfortable though!
I still have my pair of Danner combat boots from when I was in the army but I never could warm up to them, however if they work for you you'll find them very well made.
Thanks, I'll check out the Red Wings too. I had a pair of Danners not long before I retired that fell apart in six months. The sole came unglued. Before that I had a pair of Hi-Teks that lasted me for ten years before I finally wore a hole in the sole. The Danners might have just been a lemon though. I've heard they are good boots but they are expensive.

Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator

Post by Roadmaster » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 am

I would also suggest Red Wings. Back when I worked on a freight dock they were the only boots that would last.
My work here is so secret even I don't know what I'm doing

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:46 am

This article reviews several brands 2E - 6E in width.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:36 pm

Pretty sure we need an update here.
DL Jake

how is your scrotum? - Roadmaster

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:59 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:36 pm
Ok. Port Neches-Groves 27 - Nederland 21.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:38 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:59 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Ok. Port Neches-Groves 27 - Nederland 21.
You did ask.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

Jocosoe
A sock puppet that can't relate
A sock puppet that can't relate

Post by Jocosoe » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:50 am

I can't relate™.
..prepare to be ostracized-TNLP

"I say, Wos: are ypou available for cabaret or kids' parties?" - huddsbaggie

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:33 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Nothing to update yet. I've been checking out the different brands suggested by y'all and the advice is appreciated. I'm a little concerned about buying boots online because I can't try them on. Even though I can send them back if they don't fit, it's a pain to do that. Currently the plan is take all the suggestions and go to massive shoe outlet that's about 50 miles away and see if they have any of the suggested brands in the 5E or higher width.

The reason I want the boots is for my road/prayer/fitness walks this winter and it rarely gets frigid cold here so I don't need insulated boots. My biggest concern is a proper fit that is comfortable and easy to break in to prevent blisters. I'm walking five miles at a stretch now on most days and although that's not really too much mileage I want to prevent any blisters or other foot injuries. A few months ago I bought some 12 4E trail runner shoes. They are lightweight and comfortable but after walking 5 miles for a couple of days in them two of my toenails turned black and I could tell they were too narrow anyway. Different manufacturers have different ideas of what size a 12 4E shoe is I guess and that's why I want to try them on before buying. Running shoes are bad enough if they don't fit but boots can be a nightmare.

Also, I'm going to start weight load walking with a pack soon. I'll start with with a very lightweight pack but as I increase the weight, the stress on my feet will increase so the footwear will be even more important.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm trying to get into good backpacking condition for the pre-apocalypse times of troubles/birthing pains that are fast approaching.

gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Post by gaining_age » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:36 am

Jocosoe wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:50 am
I can't relate™™.
Our IT enforces a reboot once a week.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:29 pm

https://www.hokaoneone.com/men-hiking/
I am interesred in these. I wear Hoka running shoes for road running regularly. Hoka is known for max cushion, comfort, and light weight. My older legs appreciate them. The boots are supposedly known to have ample width availability too.

I get my shoes online too. Most reputable places will have an extremely generous return policy on shoes if you don't like them.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH