Whiskey

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Re: Whiskey

Post by gaining_age » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:43 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:51 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:44 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:31 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:12 pm
Question--

A family member just uncovered a century anniversary Jim Beam whiskey bottle. Does whiskey age well?

This is 100 year anniversary-- from 1872-1972 (Colorado Springs centennial)-- is this worthy to open and drink from?

Looks like this (image from internet):

Dude. That bottle is a bourbon hunters dream. Beam used good juice back then. It doesnt age, so much as it was friggin' high quality to begin with. Enjoy in good health and moderation!
That's helpful. By the way, that bottle is slightly older than my trophy wife ;)
What the hell do I care? Love you, bro, but major fox pass.
She laughed when I made the comment to her-- I figured it carried further humor than local. c'est la vie.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

hugodrax
Doctor of Falconology
Doctor of Falconology

Post by hugodrax » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:55 am

gaining_age wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:43 am
hugodrax wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Question--

A family member just uncovered a century anniversary Jim Beam whiskey bottle. Does whiskey age well?

This is 100 year anniversary-- from 1872-1972 (Colorado Springs centennial)-- is this worthy to open and drink from?

Dude. That bottle is a bourbon hunters dream. Beam used good juice back then. It doesnt age, so much as it was friggin' high quality to begin with. Enjoy in good health and moderation!
That's helpful. By the way, that bottle is slightly older than my trophy wife ;)
She laughed when I made the comment to her-- I figured it carried further humor than local. c'est la vie.
Joking, man. You should drink it with her.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:38 am

gaining_age wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Question--

For several years I was in with a group of guys that made an annual spring fishing trip, and one of the guys would always gleefully repeat the phrase, "we're going after trophy trout and trophy women". "You're on your own with the women, this trip", the rest of us would reply.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:10 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:30 pm
My name is Jo and I am an alcoholic.

I must confess that I miss Whisky. Not just the physiological effects such as the high that comes with the drink but I also miss the flavor profiles of the different whiskys.

Scotch Whisky to be exact.

The smoky and peaty Scotch such as Ardbeg and Laphroaig were my favorite. I absolutely loved them.

I also liked to guzzle beer and wine and then fight you. I'm thankful for my sobriety today and for a loving God that helped me get to where I am at today despite of my past failures.

I envy all who can drink like a normal person.
My respect and admiration level for you just went up like 1000%.
Meh. I'm just a dry drunk now.

:lol:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:44 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:38 am
gaining_age wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Question--

For several years I was in with a group of guys that made an annual spring fishing trip, and one of the guys would always gleefully repeat the phrase, "we're going after trophy trout and trophy women". "You're on your own with the women, this trip", the rest of us would reply.
My wife and I married after emerging from the on-line (mid-life-ish) dating scene. We're a great match and the relationship is going well. She is intelligent, well educated (graduate degreed) and attractive. We sometimes call up the image of "trophy wife" as a jest and joke-- she's the real deal of a great woman and really great for me in many ways. I sloshed some of that jesting here but there's no context so it probably fell flat as a beer left open for 10 days.

She doesn't yet like whiskey-- that may be partly my fault because I'm entering into the trials with low end (bottom shelf) supermarket versions. I liked this "Four Freedoms" brand of blended Canadian whiskey which mixes well -- sours, etc. And I picked up a Piperdean blended scotch whiskey which seems to go well with 1 part of amaretto (to 3 parts whiskey) and ice and a dash of water.

Maybe I need to look through this thread further to gleam better choices (on whiskey).
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:50 pm

Tried this over the weekend. Not too shabby. Fairly smooth @ 100 proof.
DL Jake

We can do it right now if you want. - hugodrax

hugodrax
Doctor of Falconology
Doctor of Falconology

Post by hugodrax » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:09 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:44 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Question--

My wife and I married after emerging from the on-line (mid-life-ish) dating scene. We're a great match and the relationship is going well. She is intelligent, well educated (graduate degreed) and attractive. We sometimes call up the image of "trophy wife" as a jest and joke-- she's the real deal of a great woman and really great for me in many ways. I sloshed some of that jesting here but there's no context so it probably fell flat as a beer left open for 10 days.

She doesn't yet like whiskey-- that may be partly my fault because I'm entering into the trials with low end (bottom shelf) supermarket versions. I liked this "Four Freedoms" brand of blended Canadian whiskey which mixes well -- sours, etc. And I picked up a Piperdean blended scotch whiskey which seems to go well with 1 part of amaretto (to 3 parts whiskey) and ice and a dash of water.

Maybe I need to look through this thread further to gleam better choices (on whiskey).
Sincerely, I was joking. My point was wives are sacred, but you knew that and I'm sorry. I honor her simply because she is your wife.

A double woodford reserve. When we meet, you will try it.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:49 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:09 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:44 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Question--

Sincerely, I was joking. My point was wives are sacred, but you knew that and I'm sorry. I honor her simply because she is your wife.

A double woodford reserve. When we meet, you will try it.
You're fine-- and above. No worries, mate.

You've a good point-- and I appreciate the honor-age.

I hope you and yours are having good and better days.
G.
The 6s of 1st John:

mont974x4
Wild Thing
Wild Thing

Post by mont974x4 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:35 am

Tullamore Dew after working a 10 hour night shift.

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:41 am

7formy1911 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:34 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:29 pm
I bought a bottle of Bulliet Rye this afternoon, for Manhattans and Old Fashioneds, specifically.
It’s quite good neat as well.
Indeed.

CodeMonkey
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud

Post by CodeMonkey » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:00 pm

“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:18 am

Bought a bottle of Evan Williams regular Black label yesterday for use in fruit cakes mainly. It was the best I think that the poor little drive through store had. I asked the young lady what their best selling bourbon was and she quickly replied "Crown". I recovered my composure quickly enough to ask for the EW.

mont974x4
Wild Thing
Wild Thing

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:25 am

Lately it’s been Breckinridge spiced whiskey.

Hello FredS

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:22 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:32 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:28 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:25 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:05 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:39 pm
<y local shop has a Rye that is labeled "Rod & Rifle", so I had to buy some....it kicked my butt. I had 2 small glasses a few nights ago and woke with a headache. Tried it again last night with the same result. I am thinking I won't buy it again.
I'm thinking you should give it to someone you don't really like.
I am thinking of pouring it down the drain...it was not expensive
I've dumped two bottles of whisky down the drain. Monkey Shoulder was one, and I don't remember the other, it may have been Old Crow.
Hard to believe Old Crow was once the benchmark of quality, even to the point of counterfeiting.

Me, I only really buy Woodford anymore. It's my favorite and since I dont really drink, seems silly to compromise.
A guy on another forum recently listed Old Crow as his current sipping whisky. Reminded me of your post.
I'm a little lost tonight. I'd drink Old Crow if I had some, and smoke a Sam Houston cigar to go along with it.
What I do have are some dregs of Knob Creek rye, and it'll have to do. You ever been there?

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:02 pm

Evan Williams White Label just said "hello" :wavey:
"Praise be to Mary, her child and all those with them in Paradise."---Paulus Kal

mont974x4
Wild Thing
Wild Thing

Post by mont974x4 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:59 am

On Sunday I had Jameson Distillers Safe. I recommend it.

Hello FredS

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:23 am

Been sipping Old Grand Dad bottled in bond a lot lately. Last week I bought some OGD 114. Really good stuff. Next bottle will probably be some four roses or Woodford. As for Scotch, it’s been JW Red Label. It’s a good value and it tastes good. So does Chivas and Dewar’s. I’m talking their bottom shelf expressions. I’ve no idea what JW Blue Label tastes like. The lower priced “premium” blended Scotches are tasty and the price is right and at this time of year when I have to smoke in a cold garage, I’m not having the most thoughtful smoke/dram sessions. Too bloody cold. It’s -9 right now. I just need whiskey at that temp. Any whiskey!
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:16 am

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:02 pm
Evan Williams White Label just said "hello" :wavey:
Best sleeper BiB on the shelf right now, says I.
DL Jake

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:19 am

Had a guy tell me he tried Ambros Banana Whiskey. (a premium brand of high quality whiskey infused with only 100% REAL hand-peeled fresh bananas.)

I had to de-friend him and looking into what it takes for a TRO if needed.
DL Jake

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:37 am

I'm looking to expand and try something "popular" and not just cheap. Recommendations of favorites?
The 6s of 1st John: