An electric drill conundrum, or one drill to bore them all

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Re: An electric drill conundrum, or one drill to bore them all

Post by coco » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:05 pm

AnungUnRama wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:16 am
coco wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:02 am
Thunktank wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:17 pm
And yes, most power tools are made in China, but not all those tools are created equal....

For example, Techtronics' best tools are called "Milwaukee," their middle line is "Ryobi," and their budget line is "Rigid." The three lines are in no way identical, though there are times in which parts from one may fit into another.

I needed a few parts for a Ryobi blower which were unavailable. I got some Homelite parts (another Techtronics brand) that were the exact same parts. This makes sense, mind you. It is often more cost efficient to use the same parts across your different labels if you can.
Really? I would have thought that Ryobi would have been bottom barrel. They are certainly a heck of a lot cheaper than Rigid, that's for dang sure.

Once upon a time I used a Rigid switch to replace the switch on a Chicago Electric compound mitre saw. As far as I know, it would still work but the blade guard quit functioning on that saw and it just didn't have the grunt I needed so I got a new, more powerful one.
That's what I've heard, though my source may have been incorrect. Of course, I'm talking about orange Rigid which is not to be confused with red Rigid (Owned by Emerson).

Edit: Just checked the Home Derp-o website. They have Rigid and Ryobi drills, both for $80, but the Ryobi has a smaller battery, making you think that more money might have gone into the drill itself. FWW.

I'm sure that either would be okayish.
"Did I go wrong by buying a High Output Cummins 6.7L diesel Ram Laramie?" - Goose

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:31 pm

coco wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:05 pm
. . . I'm sure that either would be okayish.
And that's the whole point of this exercise. Of course we don't want a tool that will fall apart the first time we use it, but we don't need a drill that's going to put food on our table for the next 30 years either. Okayish is about as much as a casual user can expect these days.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm

This thread inspired me to pull out the old Makita to drill a few holes in a stump I'm trying to make rot.

It's over thirty years old and has enough power for most anything.
"Did I go wrong by buying a High Output Cummins 6.7L diesel Ram Laramie?" - Goose

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:33 pm

The impact drivers with new lithium batteries do impressive work.
However, I've gotten a lot of hard work done with this combo:
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:28 pm

I just bought a DeWalt drill, not a hammer drill, but the first DeWalt product I have ever owned...I love its power, but the keyless chuck takes some getting used to...if not done right it releases upon startup and I dented two projects when it came loose
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:47 pm

I hit the local ACE and Lowe's. So far, no joy :(
DEUS VULT!

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:50 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:31 pm
coco wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:05 pm
. . . I'm sure that either would be okayish.
And that's the whole point of this exercise....
No, no, no. The whole point of this exercise is to whine about how "They don't make 'em like they used to."

I've been doing my part.

:chili:

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:54 pm

coco wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm
This thread inspired me to pull out the old Makita to drill a few holes in a stump I'm trying to make rot.

Off Topic
Have you ever tried sprinkling fertilizer down in the holes? I’ve read that helps accelerate the rot.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:27 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:54 pm
coco wrote:

Off Topic
Have you ever tried sprinkling fertilizer down in the holes? I’ve read that helps accelerate the rot.
O have a bottle of stuff I got from either Home Derp-o or Blowe's that claims to accelerate rot. We will see.

hugodrax
McMuffins & 'Murica!
McMuffins & 'Murica!

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:33 pm

coco wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:27 pm
JimVH wrote:
coco wrote:

Off Topic
O have a bottle of stuff from Home Derp-o that claims to accelerate rot. We will see.
The stump could always opt-in.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:38 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:33 pm
coco wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:27 pm
JimVH wrote:
coco wrote:

Off Topic
O have a bottle of stuff from Home Derp-o that claims to accelerate rot. We will see.
The stump could always opt-in.
:lol: