Why

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Why

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:37 pm

Why is it always a favorite pipe?

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Re: Why

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:48 pm

Welcome to the ministry of pipe breaking, of which I used to be minister. I'm not sure where my current moniker came from, I've never broke a shotgun in my life.
Anyway, to your question, I don't know. But it always is.
"If you don't love Jesus you can go to Hell". Billy Joe Shaver

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:09 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:37 pm
Why is it always a favorite pipe?

Because.

Cleon
Walmart Cargo Short Model
Walmart Cargo Short Model

Post by Cleon » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:45 pm

Look at the bright side - you can put a nice band on it. I like banded pipes.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:38 pm

Cleon wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:45 pm
It's a slight oval shape. Not sure where to get a band that would fit it but I'll see what I can do. It's an unfinished Savinelli second. They darken up into to a nice warm satinny brown the more you smoke them. I'll try to save it but there is also a split on the other side of the shank. It's in my top five favorite pipes and it's a great smoker.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:18 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:38 pm
Cleon wrote:
It's a slight oval shape. Not sure where to get a band that would fit it but I'll see what I can do. It's an unfinished Savinelli second. They darken up into to a nice warm satinny brown the more you smoke them. I'll try to save it but there is also a split on the other side of the shank. It's in my top five favorite pipes and it's a great smoker.
I smoked a pipe like that for a couple years actually, with a thin copper wire wrapped around the crack, with the twist not too tight, until the broken chip finally just broke off completely.
Edit to say more:. I'm serious. It became my garage pipe and pretty much stayed in the garage, and when not being smoked it sat on top of a lazy Susan nuts and bolts tray, usually half stoked with remnants. I was able to pass a cleaner through it, and it smoked great, but just wasn't a show piece. Visitors to the garage gave it some odd glances though, with the wire on it like that.
Thanks for the memory, I'd almost forgot about that old pipe.

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:27 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:18 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Cleon wrote:
I smoked a pipe like that for a couple years actually, with a thin copper wire wrapped around the crack, with the twist not too tight, until the broken chip finally just broke off completely.
Edit to say more:. I'm serious. It became my garage pipe and pretty much stayed in the garage, and when not being smoked it sat on top of a lazy Susan nuts and bolts tray, usually half stoked with remnants. I was able to pass a cleaner through it, and it smoked great, but just wasn't a show piece. Visitors to the garage gave it some odd glances though, with the wire on it like that.
I have an Upshall Dubladian with a similar crack and banding it would have interfered with the nomenclature. Dr. Dave (I miss him) suggested simply gluing it closed with epoxy and it worked pretty well. There is a risk of breaking the piece off completely, though, when you clamp it. The crack remains visible and the epoxy buffs out glossy, but the pipe is functional and it’s only noticeable if you look for it.

Not a good pic, but you can see the repair if you look close.

"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:37 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:27 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:18 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Cleon wrote:
I have an Upshall Dubladian with a similar crack and banding it would have interfered with the nomenclature. Dr. Dave (I miss him) suggested simply gluing it closed with epoxy and it worked pretty well. There is a risk of breaking the piece off completely, though, when you clamp it. The crack remains visible and the epoxy buffs out glossy, but the pipe is functional and it’s only noticeable if you look for it.

Not a good pic, but you can see the repair if you look close.

That looks good, Jim.

hugodrax
McMuffins & 'Murica!
McMuffins & 'Murica!

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:12 pm

Norwood Pipe Repair.

I poo thee not. Band that, man. Band it quick.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:01 pm

:(
"Did I go wrong by buying a High Output Cummins 6.7L diesel Ram Laramie?" - Goose

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:07 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:48 pm
Welcome to the ministry of pipe breaking, of which I used to be minister. I'm not sure where my current moniker came from, I've never broke a shotgun in my life.
On behalf of the admins and moderators, I apologize.

I don't know where your current moniker came from either, but I will endeavor to rectify this unacceptable situation.

Does anyone have any moniker suggestions for our friend S&S? Feel free to PM me if you don't want your good name associated with your suggestion.
"Did I go wrong by buying a High Output Cummins 6.7L diesel Ram Laramie?" - Goose

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:07 pm

coco wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:07 pm
sweetandsour wrote:

I don't know where your current moniker came from either, but I will endeavor to rectify this unacceptable situation.

Does anyone have any suggestions for our friend S&S? Feel free to PM me if you don't want your good name associated with your suggestion.
It's surprising that he's never owned, fired or handled a double gun or a single barrel. Weird.

hugodrax
McMuffins & 'Murica!
McMuffins & 'Murica!

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:33 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:07 pm
coco wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions for our friend S&S? Feel free to PM me if you don't want your good name associated with your suggestion.
It's surprising that he's never owned, fired or handled a double gun or a single barrel. Weird.
Yeah, he's broken more shotguns than most people.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:01 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:33 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:07 pm
coco wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:

Yeah, he's broken more shotguns than most people.
Different kind of "breaking".

Unfortunately I earned the previous pipe breaking reputation during a pretty rough period.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:02 pm

coco wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:

Does anyone have any moniker suggestions for our friend S&S? Feel free to PM me if you don't want your good name associated with your suggestion.
Bump

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:27 pm

coco wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:02 pm
coco wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:

Bump
LoL, if my vote counts just leave it where it is. It makes perfect sense.

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:00 pm

Why is a small Arizona town just south of here.....

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis