Value Search

Even cigar smokers are welcome here
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Value Search

Post by Bloodhound » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:09 pm

I have been buying pipe tobacco lately, and can't overlook the value of a tin over the cigars I have been smoking. On average I spend $7 on a cigar...I get a nice 2 oz tin of what ever for an average of $11...so 2 cigars is more than one tin...and I average 16 bowls from a 2 oz tin...So I have been trying lower cost cigars.

The Quarum line is OK for tast and flavor, but is shredded leaf, so they get a little sloppy if cut and towards the last 1/3 of the smoke.

I have had Garcia Vegas and some Dutch Masters...not bad, but the search continues.

Yesterday I was in one of the local shops and found some "Blue Mountain" Maduro Torpedos. $2.80 a stick...Tried one last night...nice full leaf cigar, nice taste strong and a good even smoke.

Its a step below the Rocky Patel Edge, but a short step...and $3 cheaper....so maybe I have found a regular...

Cigars are a treat for me, because of the cost and the after smell (wife doesn't like any smoke, but hates cigars) so its a once in a while indulgance, at the house(outside) about once a month in a cigar lounge(indoor smoking).

I had never heard of Blue Mountain Cigars...I'll have to do some research
Last edited by Bloodhound on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Rusty
In Memoriam

Re: Value Search

Post by Rusty » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:32 pm

Bloodhound wrote:I average 6 bowls from a 2 oz tin...
Whoa! Either your math is in error or your pipes have the largest bowls in history.
Most of us get 7-8 bowls per oz (28.35g) in moderately large bowls. That's roughly 3.5-4g per bowl. Smaller bowls will yield 9-10 bowls per oz or roughly 2.8 to 3.2g per bowl. If you're smoking all the tobacco (57g) in six bowls then your pipes have a monstrous 9.5g per bowl capacity ie they have in excess of a 1" bore and are 3-4" deep. True?

A 2 oz tin yields 15-18 bowls, maybe as many as 20 bowls if they're small. Which means a small tin of pipe tobacco is slightly smaller than a box of cigars.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Bloodhound wrote:Yesterday I was in one of the local shops and found some "Blue Mountain" Maduro Torpedos. $2.80 a stick...Tried one last night...nice full leaf cigar, nice taste strong and a good even smoke.
Your equivalent in pipe tobacco is $45 per 2 oz tin. In the US market you have to buy well aged collectible tins to get to that price. It's also the price of pipe tobacco in the most heavily taxed jurisdictions on the planet. It's par for the course in Australia, New Zealand and in many places in Canada. In Alberta they're cruising very close to a $1 per gram.

Pipe tobacco is a fantastic bargain.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:24 pm

Casa de Garcia! $1.75 a stick is a terrific deal on a handrolled cigar that tastes good. The biggest drawback is that the burn can get sloppy.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:45 pm

I've bought bundles from JR's with good results.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:27 pm

You can get bundles of Consuegra #9's for around 35 bucks.

Comes out to under 2 bucks a stick after shipping.

Honduran cigar. 4 1/2 x 50. Bundles of 25.

Theses are the bundled segundos and production overruns made at the Villazon factory in Honduras - the makers of Punch, Hoyo de Monterrey, Excalibur, El Rey del Mundo.

Sancho Panza are also fairly inexpensive and one of my favorites.

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:43 pm

Rusty wrote:Your equivalent in pipe tobacco is $45 per 2 oz tin. In the US market you have to buy well aged collectible tins to get to that price....
Or some 150 year old Civil War tobacco
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:29 am

Black Jacks are purty fine ceegars! :D
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:11 pm

Ryland mentioned JR Cigars, you might want to look at their "JR Alternative" cigars. I have not tried these but have heard that some of them are quite good. The pricing is certainly favorable.

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:56 pm

If you can find them Los Blancos makes a wondeful bundle cigar called "Primos"

My local B&M carries them and they can barely keep them on the shelves.
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

wallbright15
Elder
Elder

Post by wallbright15 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:42 pm

I buy all of my cigars from Cigar Bid, http://cigarbid.com. I have been averaging $1.70-$1.80 ea for La Auroras, Nubs, Cain Nubs, Gispert, 5 Vegas A series, Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Natural and Maduro, and many other nice cigars. Just make sure you compare the prices before you place a bid on the lot. Sometimes people get over anxious and bid higher than they could have gotten the box at a different retailer but I have saved about $320+ so far.
"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" -Albert Einstein

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:24 pm

joegoat wrote:Casa de Garcia! $1.75 a stick is a terrific deal on a handrolled cigar that tastes good. The biggest drawback is that the burn can get sloppy.
+1 not a bad stick at all for the money
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:55 pm

Quorums are good for the money too.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

N8
Has Really "Nice Rings"
Has Really "Nice Rings"

Post by N8 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:58 pm

Rusty wrote:<Snip> Whoa! Either your math is in error or your pipes have the largest bowls in history.
Are you PipeFriendCHS on youtube? :D

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re:

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:09 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:24 pm
joegoat wrote:Casa de Garcia! $1.75 a stick is a terrific deal on a handrolled cigar that tastes good. The biggest drawback is that the burn can get sloppy.
+1 not a bad stick at all for the money
Still a good buy, and still a good cigar. I smoked one last week on the golf course. For 12 holes no re-lights. Great flavor.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)