Questions on health

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
Draig
Congregation
Congregation

Questions on health

Post by Draig » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:20 am

Dear all
Thank you for all the advice I've received so far. Should I ever start pipe smoking I will follow the advice I've been given of buy a cob and try anything I fancy, don't think about it too much.

It has been noticed that I'm reluctant to take up the hobby as I'm not fully convinced on the health side of things. Plus I would have family opposition but I'll save that for another post.

As a person on the fence so to speak, I've struggled to find a balanced argument on the health side of pipe smoking.
Anti smoking people will say its really bad for you, causes various cancers yellow teeth etc, etc.
Pipe smokers will say, the risk is negligable if you don't inhale and smoke in moderation. They will always refer to what (I may be wrong here) seems to be a one off report from the surgeon general decades ago which says that pipe smokers live longer than non smokers.
What I'm looking for is a fairly realistic list of pros and cons of pipe smoking in moderation.
Also, has anyone here had health issues as a direct result of pipe smoking?
thanks in advance, I'm sure some good advice will be posted here.

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:29 am

You can look and study all you want but it all ends up with whether or not you want to smoke a pipe. Red meat can be bad for you but does that stop people from eating burgers or steak? Soda is bad for you but people still drink them like water. Most of our activities CAN harm us to some extent.

If you want to smoke a pipe, "Smoke an every loving pipe and stop being such a Nancy about it!" - A. Morley

:D
Last edited by Kerdy on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:44 am

Smoking is good in moderation. If it's relaxing and enjoyable there should be no problems.

-Excess sugar is bad for a person. I still enjoy desserts in moderation.

-Excess alcohol is bad for a person. I still enjoy beer and whisky(ey) in moderation.

-Excess fat is bad for a person. I still enjoy a good steak or cheeseburger in moderation.

-Excess tobacco is bad for a person. I still enjoy a pipe in moderation.

You'll have to figure out what moderation is to you. But, in all seriousness, if the idea of smoking bothers your conscience - don't do it.
Romans 14:22b-23 wrote:Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he approves. 23But whoever has doubts is condemned if he eats, because the eating is not from faith. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

adauria
Don't Need No Fancy Title
Don't Need No Fancy Title

Post by adauria » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:53 am

You're looking for personal experience?

I've been smoking very moderately (perhaps 3-5 bowls a week in the summer and less in the winter) for about 9 years. I have had no ill effects whatsoever (that I am aware of). The upside is that smoking a pipe helps me relax - something I consider a major health benefit, given the major threats to our well being these days is stress.

-Andrew

OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by OldWorldSwine » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:17 am

You seem kind of ambivalent on pipe smoking, and lacking a strong desire to give it a go, I doubt you'll find any kind of evidence that would indicate "Yeah, you should smoke!".

For myself, I just wanted to smoke a pipe, and went looking for any really convincing evidence that I shouldn't. Could not find any. I'd rather take a few reasonable risks (I'm also a sometime motorcycle rider) and enjoy life than wring my hands over things. I haven't found any evidence that riding motorcycles is healthy for you, at all, but... meh.
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

ChildOfGod
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by ChildOfGod » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:57 am

Those are good questions Draig - I myself have wanted to speak to anyone who suffered as a direct result of pipe smoking but haven't been able to - mostly because there are so few pipe smokers.

So... not to nix your questions, but I heard a statistic the other night on "Nature", an episode about the Himalayas.....

10% of all climbers die attempting to climb the Himalayas

This really struck me. Its a very high statistic. If we all "had to" climb the Himalayas I would imagine it would be the world's #1 killer.

What does a health nazi say about such a statistic?

Mountains are more than fun to climb - while undergoing challenges to the extreme the self knows that it is truly alive - I wouldn't want to stop a single soul from trying to climb a mountain. The idea of "conquering mountains" is quite akin to the entrepreneurial spirit of our (sometimes) free market economy; and I doubt very much that health nazi's will attack things entrepreneurial, even if they are shown to be risk factors for heart disease inducing levels of stress. I was curious what these statistic toting health nazi's would say about such a high death rate of something so... sacrosanct.

Draig... perhaps... if you think those who attempt climbing the Himalayas are "crazy" people, then don't smoke. It all comes down to how you feel about the risks/rewards. Pipe smoking isn't risk free, and you can't know ahead of time, what the particular risks are for you, as an individual, statistically speaking.
In Christ by Apostolic and Reformed Faith

Kodiak
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Kodiak » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:05 am

ShellBriar wrote:Those are good questions Draig - I myself have wanted to speak to anyone who suffered as a direct result of pipe smoking but haven't been able to - mostly because there are so few pipe smokers.

So... not to nix your questions, but I heard a statistic the other night on "Nature", an episode about the Himalayas.....

This really struck me. Its a very high statistic. If we all "had to" climb the Himalayas I would imagine it would be the world's #1 killer.

Mountains are more than fun to climb - while undergoing challenges to the extreme the self knows that it is truly alive - I wouldn't want to stop a single soul from trying to climb a mountain. The idea of "conquering mountains" is quite akin to the entrepreneurial spirit of our (sometimes) free market economy; and I doubt very much that health nazi's will attack things entrepreneurial, even if they are shown to be risk factors for heart disease inducing levels of stress. I was curious what these statistic toting health nazi's would say about such a high death rate of something so... sacrosanct.

Draig... perhaps... if you think those who attempt climbing the Himalayas are "crazy" people, then don't smoke. It all comes down to how you feel about the risks/rewards. Pipe smoking isn't risk free, and you can't know ahead of time, what the particular risks are for you, as an individual, statistically speaking.
I use to read alot of alpinist journals, most of them French, and alot of mountain climbers smoke alot! Cigs! I would thing you would want all the fresh air you can get. I then studied this and tried to find an answer. I found out that nicotine help combat alttitude sickness quite a bit.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean. John Muir

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:14 am

It's all hard to tell, really. Both genetics and environmental factors increase or decrease your risk of getting cancer. If you have several relatives who have died from cancer, then you would be justified in being wary over the risks associated with pipe smoking. With that said, if you don't inhale the pipe smoke, you run less of a chance of being inflicted with lung cancer, but your risk of oral cancer increases. We are told that this risk can be mitigated by rinsing one's mouth after smoking, not smoking while drinking alcohol, and not smoking when you have an ulcer or an oral injury. Similarly, cancer risks appears to increase among those who smoke in poorly-ventilated rooms, have unhealthy diets, and don't get enough exercise. There are, however, many men who have smoked several pipes per day for eighty years and died because they sustained an injury related to some other geriatric illness.

When it comes down to it, I treat the issue as Cleon suggested. I take care not to smoke all day long, I don't overindulge in other bad habits, and I try to enjoy myself. The passage from Romans 14 is particularly appropriate in this discussion. If you're having to convince yourself and others that pipe smoking is alright, and you're facing condemnation for it, then either refrain from smoking or tell your loved ones to back off.

We hope that you stay around regardless!

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:32 am

Did you know that Heart disease kills over 500,000 Americans annually?

Here's a few questions you might ask yourself concerning your health.

What are the risks of heart disease? Do you have healthy eating habits? Do you excercise regularly? Are you overweight, or obese? Do you know how to avoid "the silent killer"?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

ChildOfGod

Post by ChildOfGod » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Jocose wrote:Do you know how to avoid "the silent killer"?
Answer: Avert your vision when Jocose's posts appear on screen. :wink:

jolly
Usher
Usher

Post by jolly » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:37 pm

Kodiak wrote:
ShellBriar wrote:Those are good questions Draig - I myself have wanted to speak to anyone who suffered as a direct result of pipe smoking but haven't been able to - mostly because there are so few pipe smokers.

I use to read alot of alpinist journals, most of them French, and alot of mountain climbers smoke alot! Cigs! I would thing you would want all the fresh air you can get. I then studied this and tried to find an answer. I found out that nicotine help combat alttitude sickness quite a bit.
So there ya go, the mountain climbers deaths are all really tobacco related.

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:05 pm

Draig, you should definitely do what you feel is right for you but I wonder if it wouldn't help you the most to go ahead and give it a try. You may find that you don't even like it. If you don't, you won't have to waste any more brain power thinking about it. If you find that you do, then you can put the pipe down and think about it some more if you need to.

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:06 pm

jolly wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

So there ya go, the mountain climbers deaths are all really tobacco related.
And would be counted as such in the statistics.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:04 pm

Jocose wrote:Did you know that Heart disease kills over 500,000 Americans annually?

Here's a few questions you might ask yourself concerning your health.

What are the risks of heart disease? Do you have healthy eating habits? Do you excercise regularly? Are you overweight, or obese? Do you know how to avoid "the silent killer"?
Jo's comments are important. The extra 20 pounds I carry around, or the 8 cups of coffee I drink every day are more dangerous than my pipe smoking. So is my speeding (when the weather is nice I take my hot rod out and do a 130 mph run down the highway every few weeks).

Draig - Life is not about eliminating risks in pursuit of old age.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:14 pm

x
Last edited by MrPiper on Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Draig
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Draig » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:25 am

Thanks for the advice

I've considered all of the above and I've read Romans 14.

I think that I'm not quite ready. I'm fascinated by the subject but it feels wrong somehow for me to give it a try. I'm not at all saying that smoking a pipe is wrong, I just feel that for me its not the right time. Maybe in the future things will be different.

Romans 14 verse 23 is the one I think applies to me.
"But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin."

Maybe some of you will be disappointed in my decision but I think that if I took up pipe smoking now I won't be glorifying God.

Please don't think that I'm saying pipe smoking is wrong. Smoking is not a sin to you and it doesn't violate your conscience. You carry on smoking to the glory of God.

Hope you don't mind, but I may stick around this site a bit longer. You are nice people.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:02 am

Yes, please stick around. It's always nice to have more people on board.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:49 am

Yup... hang out with us, please!

We don't care if you smoke a pipe or not. It is a hobby; there is no reason for doing it except to enjoy it.

When you are ready to give it a try, we'll be glad to help you get the best enjoyment out of it!

Meanwhile.... hanging out at CPS is a whole 'nother hobby, and you are welcome to join us! Our little community is what the whole internets should be like.

- If you are concerned about health and pipe smoking.... remember that the original Surgeon General Report (the one that warned about the dangers of cigarettes) also found that pipe smokers live as long or longer than the general population.

Apparently, the cancer risk is small (we don't inhale pipe smoke), and the benefits of relaxation are greater than the risks.
Last edited by Del on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

ChildOfGod

Post by ChildOfGod » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:50 am

Draig wrote:Romans 14 verse 23 is the one I think applies to me.
"But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin."

Maybe some of you will be disappointed in my decision but I think that if I took up pipe smoking now I won't be glorifying God.
Quite the contrary! I'm always proud to see a Christian make up his own mind on something based on God's word, esp. when he clearly sees room for others to make up their minds differently - that doesn't happen all that often in our circles.

Do stick around - there's room for you here.

Jocose

Re: Questions on health

Post by Jocose » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:20 am

First Draig wrote:Pipe smokers will say, the risk is negligable if you don't inhale and smoke in moderation.
Then Del wrote: Apparently, the cancer risk is small (we don't inhale pipe smoke), and the benefits of relaxation are greater than the risks.

Draig also wrote:They [pipe smokers] will always refer to what (I may be wrong here) seems to be a one off report from the surgeon general decades ago which says that pipe smokers live longer than non smokers.
Then Del wrote:- If you are concerned about health and pipe smoking.... remember that the original Surgeon General Report (the one that warned about the dangers of cigarettes) also found that pipe smokers live as long or longer than the general population.
Draig wrote:What I'm looking for is a fairly realistic list of pros and cons of pipe smoking in moderation.
Can't say you didn't try!
Draig wrote:Also, has anyone here had health issues as a direct result of pipe smoking?
I know of a member here who has, but he will have to say something about that if he wants to.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS