THE CHRISTIAN THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:45 pm

jo533281 wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Augustus M. Toplady, 1740-1778 wrote:Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee;
let the water and the blood,
from thy wounded side which flowed,
be of sin the double cure;
save from wrath and make me pure.
If you get to talk about God's wrath in relation to the cross, does that mean I can post prayers to the Theotokos? :lol: Serious question though.
Rejoice, be Christian! Thread is open for encouragement-- scripture, solid words by individual, songs, etc. We can take variations to alternate threads if desired for explanations.

G.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:17 am

John Newton(1725-1807) wrote:Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

ChildOfGod
The Artist Formerly Known as ShellBriar

Post by ChildOfGod » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:17 am

jo533281 wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
If you get to talk about God's wrath in relation to the cross, does that mean I can post prayers to the Theotokos? :lol: Serious question though.
As the threads creator, I'd recommend as the only hard and fast rule, that all content be entirely agreeable with all distinctives; that no content be disagreeable to anyone from a particular distinctive. There are other threads for other distinctives where theologically exclusive posts belong.

There's an entire forum of many threads for discussing differences.

This is one thread for unifying similarities.

Your posting here would be awesome but a prayer to the Theotokos in this particular thread wouldn't be appropriate.
"What's wrong with you people? " - R.C. Sproul

ChildOfGod

Post by ChildOfGod » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:26 am

The writer of Job, wrote:Then Job answered the Lord and said: "I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted." (Job 42:2)
The Apostle Paul, wrote:I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:13)

tobacco_tenderfoot
Minister of Forward-slashing
Minister of Forward-slashing

Post by tobacco_tenderfoot » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:40 am

ChildOfGod wrote:
jo533281 wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
As the threads creator, I'd recommend as the only hard and fast rule, that all content be entirely agreeable with all distinctives; that no content be disagreeable to anyone from a particular distinctive. There are other threads for other distinctives where theologically exclusive posts belong.

Your posting here would be awesome but a prayer to the Theotokos in this particular thread wouldn't be appropriate.
So you are welcome here, as long as you agree with CoG....got it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"One who has hope, lives differently" - Pope Benedict XVI

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:44 am

1 John 2

28 And now, dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming.
29 If you know that he is righteous, you know that everyone who does what is right has been born of him.
The 6s of 1st John:

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:52 am

tobacco_tenderfoot wrote:
ChildOfGod wrote:
jo533281 wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

So you are welcome here, as long as you agree with CoG....got it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Well... it only took two pages... :wink:

In fairness to CoG, I don't think that's what he's trying to say, nor has he posted anything unique to him or his church. Posting from the Scriptures without interpretation or editorial comments should be acceptable to all our traditions, yes? We may bicker and argue (a lot) about how they're interpreted, by whom, and how much weight to give them, but we all accept the words themselves as from God, eh? Eric get's himself in trouble plenty, but I don't think this is one of those times.

:pipe2:
Sola Deo Gloria

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:09 am

Gabriel wrote:
tobacco_tenderfoot wrote:
ChildOfGod wrote:
jo533281 wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

Well... it only took two pages... :wink:

In fairness to CoG, I don't think that's what he's trying to say, nor has he posted anything unique to him or his church. Posting from the Scriptures without interpretation or editorial comments should be acceptable to all our traditions, yes? We may bicker and argue (a lot) about how they're interpreted, by whom, and how much weight to give them, but we all accept the words themselves as from God, eh? Eric get's himself in trouble plenty, but I don't think this is one of those times.

:pipe2:
What Jo is saying in a round about way is the concept of God's wrath and Christ's sacrifice as an appeasement, is not a universal Christian concept. So will people start posting tradition unique material. Thats all.

Though from a statistical viewpoint I wonder what percent here believe in this understanding of God's wrath vs. use a prayer to the Theotokos
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:12 am

God's wrath.... upon sinners vs. healing and salvation?

The verse isn't necessarily about propitiation-- which is an Orthodox, Catholic, and Protestant shared viewpoint (with subtle and different emphasis-- see Ransom).

Peace upon my brothers and sisters in Christ.
The 6s of 1st John:

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:18 am

Oh Happy Day!

Ladysmith Black Mambazo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcKrZzM3 ... re=related
The 6s of 1st John:

ChildOfGod

Post by ChildOfGod » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Thoth wrote:What Jo is saying in a round about way is the concept of God's wrath and Christ's sacrifice as an appeasement, is not a universal Christian concept. So will people start posting tradition unique material. Thats all.
That should be a "point taken" I think. I really didn't know that. Peter, would expand on that (just a little) in a PM to me, for my personal education - maybe let me know which distinctive(s) don't agree with the "concept of God's wrath and Christ's sacrifice as an appeasement". I'd appreciate it.

This sort of thing might have to be mentioned again sometime, at a later date, just to keep things on track.

Hey... I wish you all a blessed weekend.

ChildOfGod

Post by ChildOfGod » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:51 pm

The Apostle John, in his Gospel 3:16, wrote:For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

ChildOfGod

Post by ChildOfGod » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:12 am

The Apostle John, in his Gospel 15:1-5, wrote:"I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."

BubbaJack
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by BubbaJack » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:16 am

dasmokeryaget wrote:He is faithful even when we are not.
For me, it seems he is even faithful in SPITE of me. Praise God that His faithfulness does not depend upon mine!

When I read your words I thought about the guys out in the boat with Jesus.
"Wake up Jesus, we're gonna die!"

Jesus awoke and replied, "Fellas, where's your faith?" Then He reached out over the waters and said, "Peace. be still."

He didn't need for them to do anything. He is the I AM.
PaxChristi!
BubbaJack

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”
― C.S. Lewis

jo533281
like R2D2, just not as cool
like R2D2, just not as cool

Post by jo533281 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:22 am

This one struck me as profound (for my current situation anyway) as I was reading the lectionary for Lent:

Proverbs 14:23

"In all toil there is profit, but mere talk tends only to poverty."

I don't think Solomon is talking about economics either. How lazy I can be sometimes.
"This is not facebook, we are not here to boost your self esteem or hang on your every word." -Zed-

"It's all right, Andy! It's just bolognaise!"

Most Likely to Draw Pirates with a Post

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:30 am

Summary of Ephesians 1:1-11

God
  • blessed
    chose
    predestined
    freely gave grace
    redeemed
    forgave sins
    lavished grace with all wisdom and understanding
    made known His will
The 6s of 1st John:

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:48 pm

1. Come, thou Fount of every blessing,
tune my heart to sing thy grace;
streams of mercy, never ceasing,
call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
mount of thy redeeming love.

2. Here I raise mine Ebenezer;
hither by thy help I'm come;
and I hope, by thy good pleasure,
safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
wandering from the fold of God;
he, to rescue me from danger,
interposed his precious blood.

3. Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood;
How His kindness yet pursues me
Mortal tongue can never tell,
Clothed in flesh, till death shall loose me
I cannot proclaim it well.

4. O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.
The 6s of 1st John:

ChildOfGod

Post by ChildOfGod » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:47 am

The Apostle John, in his Gospel 15:16-17, wrote:You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. These things I command you, so that you will love one another.

ChildOfGod

Post by ChildOfGod » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:42 pm

Joshua 10:7-11 ESV (with my underlining God's help and might)

So Joshua went up from Gilgal, he and all the people of war with him, and all the mighty men of valor. And the LORD said to Joshua, “Do not fear them, for I have given them into your hands. Not a man of them shall stand before you.” So Joshua came upon them suddenly, having marched up all night from Gilgal. And the LORD threw them into a panic before Israel, who struck them with a great blow at Gibeon and chased them by the way of the ascent of Beth-horon and struck them as far as Azekah and Makkedah. And as they fled before Israel, while they were going down the ascent of Beth-horon, the LORD threw down large stones from heaven on them as far as Azekah, and they died. There were more who died because of the hailstones than the sons of Israel killed with the sword.

BubbaJack
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by BubbaJack » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Ephesians 6:10-13

10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might.11Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.12For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.13Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.
PaxChristi!
BubbaJack

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”
― C.S. Lewis