I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:36 pm

UncleBob wrote:Dels will be Dels and there is nothing wrong with that. I will admit that I, perhaps, don't read all his posts as closely as I once did but he is (and should be) free to express himself on a free forum. Last time I checked we still allow freedom of speech (this ain't Canada ya know) and we are all free to agree or disagree with him. However, I also miss his wearing skirts and cavorting with women of dubious character.

PS: Tacos ain't always crunchy.

:taco:
NO! There will be no disagreement with TNLP, the Chief Justice of the Moot Court. I hereby sentence you to three days in the Theology Forum.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:39 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
UncleBob wrote:Dels will be Dels and there is nothing wrong with that. I will admit that I, perhaps, don't read all his posts as closely as I once did but he is (and should be) free to express himself on a free forum. Last time I checked we still allow freedom of speech (this ain't Canada ya know) and we are all free to agree or disagree with him. However, I also miss his wearing skirts and cavorting with women of dubious character.

NO! There will be no disagreement with TNLP, the Chief Justice of the Moot Court. I hereby sentence you to three days in the Theology Forum.
NO! PLEASE GOD, NO!
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:20 pm

Well, if we ever lose him I have a Finite State Machine that emulates Del's posts with uncanny accuracy. He's usually quite predictable. And in fact the state array, vocabulary and style dictionaries are developed from Del's own posts. I just fed the harvest software, that builds the state array, and dictionaries his name and it chugged through his CPS posts processing them and the kind of keywords that cause predictable responses. You'd be surprised how often Del responds with a similar message. This is all old stuff now. Early artificial intelligence research focused on peculiar or obsessive human behaviour to emulate people. It did quite well and it was tough to discern the difference between a real human and the artificial one. But it can still be used to emulate ideologically obsessed people. Ahem.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

GiantNinja
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior

Post by GiantNinja » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:32 pm

I quite appreciated Del's post. The author of the article seemed to assume that Pope Francis was talking about right-wing ideology. Del made the (correct) point that ideology plagues the left as well.

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:57 pm

GiantNinja wrote:I quite appreciated Del's post. The author of the article seemed to assume that Pope Francis was talking about right-wing ideology. Del made the (correct) point that ideology plagues the left as well.
I thought Del's point was perhaps the most obvious example, at least to this crowd. Conservative Catholics might not have equallyly dangerous ideology, but we can't discount the damage, both spiritual and economic, to those who we could better serve by dropping the pro-business, bootstrap-based ideology from time to time. Yes, abortion is intrinsically evil, and the ideology that allows support of abortion to persist among Catholics is pervasive. That does not mean that the ideologies embraced by the conservative Catholics in America cannot also be evil. We have to be careful that we don't focus on vilification when we might also be hurting the Kingdom. Even culture warriors must have time for introspection.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:57 pm

UncleBob wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:

NO! PLEASE GOD, NO!
I am not clicking on that link.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:

NO! PLEASE GOD, NO!
I am not clicking on that link.
Chicken.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:42 pm

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:00 pm

If he is making the Old Guard nervous, I am all for it.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:58 am

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:30 am

Pope Francis: No more business as usual
At the same time, the 77-year-old pontiff, has sought to to awaken a spirit of joy and compassion in the church, scolding Catholic "sourpusses" who hunt down rule-breakers and calling out a "tomb psychology" that "slowly transforms Christians into mummies in a museum."
The Pope also hinted that he wants to see an end to the so-called "wafer wars," in which Catholic politicians who support abortion rights are denied Holy Communion. His comments could also be taken as another sign that he plans to reform church rules that prevent divorced Catholics from receiving the Eucharist.

"Everyone can share in some way in the life of the Church; everyone can be part of the community, nor should the doors of the sacraments be closed for simply any reason," Francis said.

"The Eucharist, although it is the fullness of sacramental life, is not a prize for the perfect but a powerful medicine and nourishment for the weak."

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:46 am

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:46 am

Pope Ramps Up Charity Office to be Near Poor, Sick
When he was archbishop of Buenos Aires, Pope Francis was known to sneak out at night and break bread with the homeless, sit with them literally on the street and eat with them, as part of his aim to share the plight of the poor and let them know someone cared.

That's not so easy to do now that he's pope. But Francis is still providing one-on-one doses of emergency assistance to the poor, sick and aged through a trusted archbishop. Konrad Krajewski is the Vatican Almoner, a centuries-old job of handing out alms -- and Francis has ramped up the job to make it a hands-on extension of his own personal charity.

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:16 am

Pope Francis may be the most Christ Like of ANY leader alive today.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:17 am

The Pope also hinted that he wants to see an end to the so-called "wafer wars," in which Catholic politicians who support abortion rights are denied Holy Communion. His comments could also be taken as another sign that he plans to reform church rules that prevent divorced Catholics from receiving the Eucharist.

"Everyone can share in some way in the life of the Church; everyone can be part of the community, nor should the doors of the sacraments be closed for simply any reason," Francis said.

"The Eucharist, although it is the fullness of sacramental life, is not a prize for the perfect but a powerful medicine and nourishment for the weak."
I have had a similar thought.... We need to preach about the sanctity of life and condemn the killing of innocents. And once that is clear, we can offer hope even to the people who are still tempted to kill children.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:45 am

Del wrote:

I have had a similar thought.... We need to preach about the sanctity of life and condemn the killing of innocents. And once that is clear, we can offer hope even to the people who are still tempted to kill children.
Yeah, a common criticism I heard from some Protestants about the RCC during the Reformation was that it with held the Eucharist from political and theological "enemies". The so-called "Wafer Wars" brought some of this back in certain circles.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:32 pm

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:57 pm

There's no longer any need to rely on the clueless, spin-happy press to try to figure out Pope Francis's program: He's laid it out with great candor and love in the recently-released exhortation Evangelii Gaudium ("The Joy of the Gospel"). You can download it in several e-readable formats here.

Reading it on my morning commute, I find myself both inspired and challenged by it (and underlining many passages). The press narrative viewing the document primarily as a repudiation of supply-side economics profoundly misses (or misreads?) the point.

I love Pope Francis (as I did Pope Benedict and John Paul II). The secular and ideological attempts to read him in opposition to them are stupid (as highlighted by a recent Buzzfeed quiz).

We have a profoundly evangelical Pope, who is challenging all of us to join Christ's mission, out into the streets of a world sorely in need of His mercy.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:51 pm

Does Pope Francis smoke a pipe?
There is this image in Uncle Bob's Huffpo link---

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/0 ... 73884.html

A plateau briar? :?

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:36 am

Hovannes wrote:Does Pope Francis smoke a pipe?
There is this image in Uncle Bob's Huffpo link---

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/0 ... 73884.html

A plateau briar? :?
I'm pretty sure that's a cup for yerba mate, the traditional tea in certain South American countries: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File% ... oro%22.jpg