Feeding your pipes

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 28672
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Post by coco » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:43 am

DepartedLight wrote:When I finish a bowl I use the oils from my face and rub it in on most occasions. The tobacconist I used to work for way back when showed it me. Don't know if it helps, but it puts a nice matte finish on old briars.
I now have a picture in my mind of DL rubbing his face with his pipe.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 27725
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:45 am

coco wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:When I finish a bowl I use the oils from my face and rub it in on most occasions. The tobacconist I used to work for way back when showed it me. Don't know if it helps, but it puts a nice matte finish on old briars.
I now have a picture in my mind of DL rubbing his face with his pipe.
It's the way John Wayne did it :pipe2:
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 28672
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Post by coco » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:45 am

Rusty wrote:
coco wrote:
Rusty wrote:Just a quick note on the oil curing...

Oil curing and the application oils to cure the briar and remove the tannins and other stuff is not the same as applying later in the pipe's life.

Ashton-Taylor also said that he never saw oil baths for their briar in his entire time at Dunhill though it was accepted that they once did and that was the origin of making Ashton pipes with character.

Also that Smokingpipes article appears to have been discredited by photos of Dunhill's pipe making shop. There are no fraizing machines in evidence, nor oil baths. It looks like that they built pipes just like Charatan and all the rest of the old makers in England - they turned the stummels on a Lathe and may have have had shape guides too. Just looking at their shop pics is informative. They've never actually said that they oil cure or that buy pre-made stummels etc. So there is a lot of myth mixed with truth with them.
I was thinking about pipe making, not on finished pipes. But I didn't properly announce my change in direction.

Do you think that oil-curing would help make a better pipe?
If by better pipe you mean more resistant to cracks and other later life issues then I don't think so. But that's opinion and I'll expand on why I think this.

My oil cured pipes are the same as the air cured on this issue. They're wearing the same as air-cured pipes but nothing has cracked on any of them. The oil vs air curing is really two-sided. First, oil curing results in a reduction in investment in briar inventory and holding time for a manufacturer vs another process & maybe more equipment in the shop. Second, oil curing is a feature that suggests character and it has slight marketing advantage. With the Algerian briar that Dunhill used it did also harden the briar after the whole process and that's in the patent write-up I think. But the same Algerian briar was common among air-cured manufacturers as well (eg Barling, Charatan, and others likely). It's likely that their pipes, made of Algerian, survive in proportion to their manufacturing quantities and nothing else. We see old pipes from them all. It's not like we only see oil-cured pipes.
interesting
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 28672
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Post by coco » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:47 am

DepartedLight wrote:
coco wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:When I finish a bowl I use the oils from my face and rub it in on most occasions. The tobacconist I used to work for way back when showed it me. Don't know if it helps, but it puts a nice matte finish on old briars.
I now have a picture in my mind of DL rubbing his face with his pipe.
It's the way John Wayne did it :pipe2:
Now it's DL and John Wayne rubbing their faces with their pipes, while riding off in the sunset together.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 27725
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:49 am

coco wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
coco wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:When I finish a bowl I use the oils from my face and rub it in on most occasions. The tobacconist I used to work for way back when showed it me. Don't know if it helps, but it puts a nice matte finish on old briars.
I now have a picture in my mind of DL rubbing his face with his pipe.
It's the way John Wayne did it :pipe2:
Now it's DL and John Wayne rubbing their faces with their pipes, while riding off in the sunset together.
The Duke is proud to ride b*tch on the hog.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23901
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:06 am

Respectfully, I admit to having more pressing matters to concern myself with at the present.
I do know that the oils from your hands are absorbed into the briar--
-I've colored several unfinished pipes with that alone.
OK, how much "feeding" would a pipe really need? They aren't like my Water Polo playing 13 year old son who ate most of Atascadero for lunch last week and is currently consuming Riverside Country. Perhaps that is enough?
I have some very old tools from the 1920s, much used and abused but the wooden handles on several of them are sound and really quite excellent shape. This wood hasn't been "fed" for nearly a century! Yet other wooden handles on much newer hand tools have long since splintered.
Last edited by Hovannes on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 28672
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Post by coco » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:07 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
coco wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
coco wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:When I finish a bowl I use the oils from my face and rub it in on most occasions. The tobacconist I used to work for way back when showed it me. Don't know if it helps, but it puts a nice matte finish on old briars.
I now have a picture in my mind of DL rubbing his face with his pipe.
It's the way John Wayne did it :pipe2:
Now it's DL and John Wayne rubbing their faces with their pipes, while riding off in the sunset together.
The Duke is proud to ride b*tch on the hog.
:rotfl:
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 3925
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Post by DAN » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:44 pm

I don't know what to tell you except what I've seen, and God knows it's not exhaustive.

Every pipe I own was bought used. It was fairly apparent to me in more than a few cases that the pipe was lightly used but fairly old--little to nothing in the way of cake, scorch marks, nicks, etc., but substantial oxidation on the stem--and I ain't seen no cracks or nothin'. Nothing to indicate that the briar had suffered in any way from lack of oiling, waxing, or handling.

Just my two cents.
If the American people ever really understand the Left, they'll boil them in oil.

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16909
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:28 pm

DAN wrote:I don't know what to tell you except what I've seen, and God knows it's not exhaustive.

Every pipe I own was bought used. It was fairly apparent to me in more than a few cases that the pipe was lightly used but fairly old--little to nothing in the way of cake, scorch marks, nicks, etc., but substantial oxidation on the stem--and I ain't seen no cracks or nothin'. Nothing to indicate that the briar had suffered in any way from lack of oiling, waxing, or handling.

Just my two cents.
I agree. Most of mine are real old. Right around the century mark. No issues that weren't man made.

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10576
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Post by A_Morley » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:47 am

I thought my rage at this thread had subsided.

I was wrong.

I'm going now.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14784
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Post by Cleon » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:46 am

When you smoke a pipe aren't you, in a sense, feeding the pipe - exchanging the natural tannins and such (even oil from oil curing) over time. The moisture, tar, and carbony stuff from smoking the pipe is what develops it's character.

So, smoke your pipes. You don't want them to go hungry.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
SmokinGordon
Eternal Newbie (On a 12 Step Program from Overusing the Quote Function)
Eternal Newbie (On a 12 Step Program from Overusing the Quote Function)
Posts: 2814
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:00 pm
Location: Memphis
Contact:

Post by SmokinGordon » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:32 pm

Cleon wrote:When you smoke a pipe aren't you, in a sense, feeding the pipe - exchanging the natural tannins and such (even oil from oil curing) over time. The moisture, tar, and carbony stuff from smoking the pipe is what develops it's character.

So, smoke your pipes. You don't want them to go hungry.
Great! If anyone ever complains about you smoking one of your pipes, you just say you are being compassionate!
When I grow up, I want to look like Mrs. Coco's grandpa. :D
Del: "If I only wanted to smoke it once in awhile, I'd just buy a cigar"

nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 4880
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Feeding your pipes

Post by nosferatu » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:51 pm

SmokinGordon wrote:
Cleon wrote:When you smoke a pipe aren't you, in a sense, feeding the pipe - exchanging the natural tannins and such (even oil from oil curing) over time. The moisture, tar, and carbony stuff from smoking the pipe is what develops it's character.

So, smoke your pipes. You don't want them to go hungry.
Great! If anyone ever complains about you smoking one of your pipes, you just say you are being compassionate!
+1 Yay compassion!

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10576
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Feeding your pipes

Post by A_Morley » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:49 am

Yep. Still enraged.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 4880
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Feeding your pipes

Post by nosferatu » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:49 am

A_Morley wrote:Yep. Still enraged.
Thought that was a state of existence for you.

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 28672
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Feeding your pipes

Post by coco » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:48 am

nosferatu wrote:
A_Morley wrote:Yep. Still enraged.
Thought that was a state of existence for you.
Morley's trend mug

Image
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14784
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Feeding your pipes

Post by Cleon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:28 am

Bump. For Goose.

Dunhill oil curing and shell (sandblast) patent specs for Algerian briar:
Image
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 7606
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Feeding your pipes

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:30 am

Cleon wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:28 am
Bump. For Goose.

Dunhill oil curing and shell (sandblast) patent specs for Algerian briar:
Image
Interesting. That old Bartlett & Bickley Piccadilly I found last summer is blasted and is very, very hard. When I tap a Czech tool on the stummel it sounds ceramic or like rock.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16909
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Feeding your pipes

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:38 am

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:30 am
Cleon wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:28 am
Bump. For Goose.

Dunhill oil curing and shell (sandblast) patent specs for Algerian briar:
Image
Interesting. That old Bartlett & Bickley Piccadilly I found last summer is blasted and is very, very hard. When I tap a Czech tool on the stummel it sounds ceramic or like rock.
Maybe it's Sea Rock briar?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Rusty
In Memoriam
Posts: 25059
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: Feeding your pipes

Post by Rusty » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:22 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:30 am
Cleon wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:28 am
Bump. For Goose.

Dunhill oil curing and shell (sandblast) patent specs for Algerian briar:
Image
Interesting. That old Bartlett & Bickley Piccadilly I found last summer is blasted and is very, very hard. When I tap a Czech tool on the stummel it sounds ceramic or like rock.
Yeah. There are pipes that ring when we tap them with finger nail or pipe tool. I have a couple of French briars that do this and they are blasted. One of them is a superb taster. But I also have some clear finished pipes that do this as well. This is the hunt for interesting briar and it can be more interesting than the hunt for specific models or brands with some.

The old Algerian briar that was prized in the past (and that Dunhill used for Shell Briar pipes & Barling and Charatan air cured them) was actually very soft compared to any other block. But it has a very good taste. I have some modern pipes made from old Algerian briar. You'd be right if you guessed that I hunted for interesting briar.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Post Reply