Can a Christian Support Gay Marriage?

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Re: Can a Christian Support Gay Marriage?

Post by Del » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:59 am

harkpuff wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:27 pm
Ultimately….It does not matter what we, Justice Kennedy, or any other court determines regarding marriage. God, who created mankind is the one who created, ordained and sets the standard for God's institution of marriage. Marriage was created by God and belongs to God. Our personal opinions, preferences, or official judicial rulings concerning the issue doesn't mean a hill of beans to God since God answers to no one and it will be we who answer to Him.
Mankind in his pride and arrogance tends to forget who is in charge....and it ain't us!
It does not matter whether one knows God or not.... Human nature is not up for re-definition by courts or legislatures.

We have decided to permit this unnatural view of human sexuality and marriage in our culture, and we will have to deal with the consequences.

In ancient cultures and societies that openly permitted homosexuality, we also find the practices of infanticide and sexual abuse of children. Often, we also find polygamy, harems, prostitution.... signs that women are viewed as possessions and property, rather than free persons.

Not that any one of these causes the other, but it seems that these are all caused by some root cause -- a failure to understand the value and natural purpose of sex and marriage.

Our culture has homosexuality and infanticide, legal and openly tolerated. We also have a growing problem of child sexual abuse, although this is not yet legal or tolerated by the culture. But we do encourage sexualization of children at younger ages, through our schools and the entertainment media, so we are headed that way. And it seems like women are also being treated and traded like property, a thing to be purchased when wanted and discarded when unwanted.
Last edited by Del on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:08 am

Marriage was always about making children together.
Well, that is a natural desired outcome of marriage. The sacrament of marriage in Christianity is based off of Trinitarian theology. Man is not made to live alone except under certain circumstances. Adam and Eve were made to be together before the fall in perfect U***n and harmony. That U***n was disrupted by sin. Christian marriage is a mystery with some salvic principles in that it helps bring back together by grace what God already started at creation. The family is a church that should be in communion with the love of God and in love between its members. The same likeness of love found between the persons of the Holy Trinity. One of the markers of this love between a husband and wife in Christ is the desire of children in procreation that shows the outpouring of God’s love in creation.

So as to the answer of the OP question. Homosexuality and gay “marriage” can not fulfill God’s plan of marriage, Christians who “support” gay marriage are supporting something other than a marriage. Christians do often “support” things that God did not intend, but that doesn’t cancel out baptism.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:44 am

Amen to your comments Del and Thunktank! Well said.

jasonsilver
Congregation
Congregation

Post by jasonsilver » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:52 am

Interesting conversation!

I think there are three aspects to this questions.
1. The definition of a marriage or a civil U***n
2. The definition of sin, and with that, the balance between the OT law and the NT grace, the consideration of culture, compared between now and ancient times
3. Conversation about what makes a Christian- ie, are Christians without sin, can a Christian believe something that isn't aligned with God's perfect will for us, etc.

I agree with one commenter who said he observed the state's role in civil unions for the things like tax advantages, legal issues, and so on, contrasted with the means of grace available through a marriage in the church. If they are viewed as two different things (as I believe they should be), then it makes the whole process less murky.

Afterall, a judge who marries two people may or may not be a Christian (and is most likely not a pastor or priest), and just because they oversee a U***n, that does not necessarily make a marriage in the eyes of the church (local denominations may have different approaches). Likewise, in many locales, getting married in a church is not enough to claim one is in a civil U***n, but a license from the state is required as well (or the reading of the bans is accepted in some places). Cohabitating for a minimum length of time automatically institutes a common-law marriage (at least in Canada).

So if the state separates itself from religion, there is no reason it should submit to the behest of religious institutions who claim they are the true protectors of this institution of marriage. It might be better for the country spiritually speaking, if they did, but as representatives of the majority, a state may want to allow all people the right to such a U***n.

It might be important to add here that I've noticed some homosexuals apparently are not satisfied with a civil U***n, as they want the blessing of the Church. I find this interesting... but unpacking that is best left for another topic.

Now regarding the definition of sin, I don't think I'm qualified to speak to that. I like the way someone put it- there are sins of the flesh - so-called animalistic sins, and then there are the sins of a more diabolical nature. Jesus seemed to do a lot more condemning of the latter than the former. I think Christians risk being ignored and obsoleted by society, because we ourselves forget what we're really about, namely the Kingdom of God as Jesus described it.

Finally, the way we define Christianity itself is an important consideration. Are any of us without sin? What makes us suitable for salvation? I've seen some harsh comments in this thread which don't appear to reflect a self awareness of our own fallen nature.

I know we all get this theoretically - that God is at work in us, slowly making us like him, slowly aligning our ways to his; and yet we may sometimes behave as if we all should agree immediately or risk being kicked out of the faith.

Love to all!
Husband, Father of Four, Programmer, Musician, Pipe Maker and Armchair Philosopher

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:07 am

DAN wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:43 pm
Well, let's not jump to conclusions.

Had to look up where bestiality is legal. According to this, https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Bestiality
It is legal in Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, Cambodia, Thailand, Japan, Russia, Finland,[2] Hungary, Turkey, Canada and Romania...
And according to this, https://www.indy100.com/article/us-stat ... al-7451731 , certain states do not outlaw it.
Hawaii, Kentucky, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Texas, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming, and the District of Columbia...
Perhaps those goats are not as safe as we would like to think.
Indeed.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

artsygeek
Congregation
Congregation

Post by artsygeek » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:04 pm

jasonsilver wrote:Interesting conversation!

2. The definition of sin, and with that, the balance between the OT law and the NT grace, the consideration of culture, compared between now and ancient times
3. Conversation about what makes a Christian- ie, are Christians without sin, can a Christian believe something that isn't aligned with God's perfect will for us, etc.

I agree with one commenter who said he observed the state's role in civil unions for the things like tax advantages, legal issues, and so on, contrasted with the means of grace available through a marriage in the church. If they are viewed as two different things (as I believe they should be), then it makes the whole process less murky.

Afterall, a judge who marries two people may or may not be a Christian (and is most likely not a pastor or priest), and just because they oversee a U***n, that does not necessarily make a marriage in the eyes of the church (local denominations may have different approaches). Likewise, in many locales, getting married in a church is not enough to claim one is in a civil U***n, but a license from the state is required as well (or the reading of the bans is accepted in some places). Cohabitating for a minimum length of time automatically institutes a common-law marriage (at least in Canada).

So if the state separates itself from religion, there is no reason it should submit to the behest of religious institutions who claim they are the true protectors of this institution of marriage. It might be better for the country spiritually speaking, if they did, but as representatives of the majority, a state may want to allow all people the right to such a U***n.

It might be important to add here that I've noticed some homosexuals apparently are not satisfied with a civil U***n, as they want the blessing of the Church. I find this interesting... but unpacking that is best left for another topic.

Now regarding the definition of sin, I don't think I'm qualified to speak to that. I like the way someone put it- there are sins of the flesh - so-called animalistic sins, and then there are the sins of a more diabolical nature. Jesus seemed to do a lot more condemning of the latter than the former. I think Christians risk being ignored and obsoleted by society, because we ourselves forget what we're really about, namely the Kingdom of God as Jesus described it.

Finally, the way we define Christianity itself is an important consideration. Are any of us without sin? What makes us suitable for salvation? I've seen some harsh comments in this thread which don't appear to reflect a self awareness of our own fallen nature.

I know we all get this theoretically - that God is at work in us, slowly making us like him, slowly aligning our ways to his; and yet we may sometimes behave as if we all should agree immediately or risk being kicked out of the faith.

Love to all!
This Mennonite agrees completely!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

"Anyone alive has hope; even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!" Ecclesiastes/Qoheleth 9:4

jasonsilver
Congregation
Congregation

Post by jasonsilver » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:05 pm

artsygeek wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:04 pm
This Mennonite agrees completely!
Interesting! My wife is a Mennonite!
Husband, Father of Four, Programmer, Musician, Pipe Maker and Armchair Philosopher

Nature of a Man
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Nature of a Man » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:58 pm

I won't get into the nitty gritty on this issue, but I'd argue that a Christian, or any rational person in general, wouldn't have any sane reason to support gay marriage.

I'd also argue that, while there may be disproportionate fixation on homosexuality in some cases (as opposed to other sins or deviance which can be very destructive, such as alcohol or drug addiction, dysfunctions in normal marriages and families, etc) - homosexuality or other associated oddities such as "transgender" is a more severe deviance than relatively minor behaviors such as chain-smoking, unhealthy eating, and the like.

For what it's worth, I'd also argue that there is a difference between male and female homosexuality, and that male homosexuality is more aberrant, my view is that in males isn't about "love" or even "attraction" to members of the same sex, so much as just sexual addiction and perversity in general, and happening to find male partners much easier and less risky to access consentually than female ones (for obvious biological reasons I won't bother to mention), which is one of the reasons that it's so statistically corroborated with more extreme perversities such as child molestation, as well as fringe groups who advocate for things such as pedantry being made a "right". (I won't discuss this more, but there's a somewhat notorious author out there who I don't recommend reading of who more or less summaries the homosexual or 'sodomite' worldview, and how homosexuality or sodomy is really just a gateway into more and more extreme perversions).

As far as lesbianism, while it's a a deviance, of course, my understanding is that lesbianism isn't usually about actively seeking out perversity with fewer biological risks, but sometimes the result of women being survivors of domestic abuse or violence, and seeking out a female partner due to fears of male companionship. So I'd argue that the motives behind it aren't as steeped in perversity as male homosexuality.

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:20 pm

Does God's Word say that homosexuality is a sin? If yes, then no, a Christian should not support it. Same for any sin.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:27 pm

It's close to halloween.

Zombie threads unite!
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:30 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:13 am
For my response to these new posts, please see my old posts, in which we already covered all of this.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:49 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:30 pm
TNLawPiper wrote:
For my response to these new posts, please see my old posts, in which we already covered all of this.
Party Pooper.

When did you get so old?
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:37 pm

Nature of a Man wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:58 pm
I won't get into the nitty gritty on this issue, but I'd argue that a Christian, or any rational person in general, wouldn't have any sane reason to support gay marriage.

I'd also argue that, while there may be disproportionate fixation on homosexuality in some cases (as opposed to other sins or deviance which can be very destructive, such as alcohol or drug addiction, dysfunctions in normal marriages and families, etc) - homosexuality or other associated oddities such as "transgender" is a more severe deviance than relatively minor behaviors such as chain-smoking, unhealthy eating, and the like.

For what it's worth, I'd also argue that there is a difference between male and female homosexuality, and that male homosexuality is more aberrant, my view is that in males isn't about "love" or even "attraction" to members of the same sex, so much as just sexual addiction and perversity in general, and happening to find male partners much easier and less risky to access consentually than female ones (for obvious biological reasons I won't bother to mention), which is one of the reasons that it's so statistically corroborated with more extreme perversities such as child molestation, as well as fringe groups who advocate for things such as pedantry being made a "right". (I won't discuss this more, but there's a somewhat notorious author out there who I don't recommend reading of who more or less summaries the homosexual or 'sodomite' worldview, and how homosexuality or sodomy is really just a gateway into more and more extreme perversions).

As far as lesbianism, while it's a a deviance, of course, my understanding is that lesbianism isn't usually about actively seeking out perversity with fewer biological risks, but sometimes the result of women being survivors of domestic abuse or violence, and seeking out a female partner due to fears of male companionship. So I'd argue that the motives behind it aren't as steeped in perversity as male homosexuality.

Ultimately, how this issue is explained or analyzed by man is going to mean nothing in the grand scheme of eternity. God is the one writing the rules and is quite clear in Romans Chapter one, as well as elsewhere in Scripute that this activity, both male and female is evidence of a wicked and depraved mind. God makes no excuses for the psychological or social reasons for it, and makes it very clear that those who make this an unrepentant lifestyle will not be among those with God in eternity.
As far as being a gateway to more extreme perversion; quite possibly those involved in the LGBT movement may adamately draw the line at something like beastiality. However, the mere fact that the LGBT group have liberated themselves from the closet may eventually become clear motivation enough for those who ARE involved in beastiality to do the same thing and begin claiming their rights of recogntion within society. Fifty years ago no one would have believed America would slide as far down the slippery slope of acceptable debauchery and depravity as we have, so why would the slide all the way to the bottom be inconceivable? Afterall American society is already very close to rock bottom concerning what is acceptable. It's basically...Anythig Goes. A clear result of what happens when no one any longer recognizes the existence of God's absolute truth.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:17 pm

There is no such thing as gay marriage.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:19 pm

jasonsilver wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:52 am
Interesting conversation!

Love to all!
Yes, you are correct. Of Course homosexuals want the blessing of the church. This would be Satans ultimate "In God's face" acheivement if Satan could weaken God's church on earth to the point where it accepts and condones one of Satan's programs. This would be a tremendous victory for him. Unfortunately,within some organizations that call themselves a church, Satan is winning. Right in our own city is a Christian Church Disciples that has gone completely off the rails and is doing exactly this. They state right on the front page of their website....right next to their announcement for their annual "Gayla Dance Night", that they welcome, accept, condone, celebrate and even ordain anyone in the LGBT lifestyle.
Regarding the definition of Sin: The word of God is very clear on what sin is. God is also clear that all have sinned and have come short of the Glory of God. The difference is that those who are genuinely saved no longer continue to lay down in their sin and make wanton unrepentant sin their lifestyle like they did prior to coming to a relationship with Christ. Scripture says when we come to Christ "we are a new creature... behold old things have passed away".
Yes, we will continue to sin on ocassion, but the believer who is walking close to God and in His Word daily will be conscious of his sin and most likely repent of it before the sun goes down, and sin will become less frequent as we grow in Christ.
Jesus states that "Whoever says he is of me and yet continues in sin is a liar and is not of me". Anyone who claims Jesus, and yet makes a conscious choice to continue to participate in wanton, willful and unrepentant sin, scripture says is turning their backs on God and is again in an unsaved condition. 1 Corinthians chapeter 5 is a perfect example of a member of God's church who is living in willful sexual sin and Paul, after a spiritual tongue lashing, gives the Corinthian church leaders instruction on how the church is to handle the situation in hopes to restore the man.
So, regarding the definition of sin and your qualification to speak on it: Scripture says that as believers "We are high priests". Here, basically, God is giving us the authority to speak on His things. But first we need to be in His Word in order to know the things of God.

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:35 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:30 pm
TNLawPiper wrote:
Especially the arguments about the slippery slope into bestiality and pedophilia

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:24 am

Just curious why gluttony or drunkenness or lust or insert your sin that you struggle with etc etc never gets the same spotlight that homosexuality seems to get?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Del

Post by Del » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:37 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:24 am
Just curious why gluttony or drunkenness or lust or insert your sin that you struggle with etc etc never gets the same spotlight that homosexuality seems to get?
Mainly because the culture still recognizes that most of those sinful things are sinful.

We are mostly confused about marriage. The world thinks that contraception and divorce are not gravely sinful. Since even most Christians accept these grave sins, other sexual sins proliferate and strive to be accepted as "normal" -- pornography, homosexuality, gender-confusion, fornication, adultery, abortion, sexualizing children, etc. The list just keeps going.

Same-sex marriage just happens to be the leading edge of that spear, right now. Recent court decisions have overturned centuries of common law and human tradition. And we aren't even allowed to gently tolerate this new definition of marriage -- we must participate in this new morality, or we may lose our jobs and livelihoods.

Jesus never had to talk about homosexuality, because his Jewish listeners were not confused.

St. Paul had to remind his Greek Christians to avoid that favorite sin of the pagan Greeks. They were very confused.

Our culture has turned back two millennia of progress, and now we look a lot like the ancient Greek port city of Corinth.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:53 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:37 pm
Jocose wrote:
Mainly because the culture still recognizes that most of those sinful things are sinful.

We are mostly confused about marriage. The world thinks that contraception and divorce are not gravely sinful. Since even most Christians accept these grave sins, other sexual sins proliferate and strive to be accepted as "normal" -- pornography, homosexuality, gender-confusion, fornication, adultery, abortion, sexualizing children, etc. The list just keeps going.

Same-sex marriage just happens to be the leading edge of that spear, right now. Recent court decisions have overturned centuries of common law and human tradition. And we aren't even allowed to gently tolerate this new definition of marriage -- we must participate in this new morality, or we may lose our jobs and livelihoods.

Jesus never had to talk about homosexuality, because his Jewish listeners were not confused.

St. Paul had to remind his Greek Christians to avoid that favorite sin of the pagan Greeks. They were very confused.

Our culture has turned back two millennia of progress, and now we look a lot like the ancient Greek port city of Corinth.
Bingo! Yahtzee! Well said.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:37 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:37 pm
Jocose wrote:

Gluttony, lust, covetousness, and gossip are considered sinful in the modern age?

No, they aren't.

As George Carlin said, coveting our neighbor's property is the basis of capitalism.