What book are you reading?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20018
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by wosbald » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:48 pm

+JMJ+

Jesus and the Demise of Death: Resurrection, Afterlife, and the Fate of the Christian by Matthew Levering

Image

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Posts: 18627
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Acts of the Apostles.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3744
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:35 pm

Good read on public and private communication

Image

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 24955
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by Hovannes » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:43 pm

I'm having more fun reading the City of God than should be legal.
I'm almost through Book 3.
It's a like being with Mr Peabody and Sherman when they set the Wayback machine to 400
(the real Bill Scott and Jay Ward Mr Peabody and Sherman, not that Netflix cr@p :twisted: )
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3744
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:52 pm

Hovannes wrote:I'm having more fun reading the City of God than should be legal.
I'm almost through Book 3.
It's a like being with Mr Peabody and Sherman when they set the Wayback machine to 400
(the real Bill Scott and Jay Ward Mr Peabody and Sherman, not that Netflix cr@p :twisted: )
Hmm I enjoy City of God but I don't know if I ever called it fun

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 24955
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by Hovannes » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:28 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:52 pm
Hovannes wrote:I'm having more fun reading the City of God than should be legal.
I'm almost through Book 3.
It's a like being with Mr Peabody and Sherman when they set the Wayback machine to 400
(the real Bill Scott and Jay Ward Mr Peabody and Sherman, not that Netflix cr@p :twisted: )
Hmm I enjoy City of God but I don't know if I ever called it fun

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
I'd say it's pithy at the very least. I wish my copy had larger typeface though.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

DAN
Mr. Miracle Whip
Mr. Miracle Whip
Posts: 4585
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by DAN » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:04 pm

Image

and this:

Image
I don't always choose sig lines just to tick someone off, but when I do, it's on CPS.

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29341
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by coco » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:32 pm

Image
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21847
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by Jocose » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:37 pm

Star Wars Catalyst Rouge One on audio.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Image

User avatar
JMG
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year
Posts: 6188
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by JMG » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:38 pm

"Lights Out" by Ted Koppel
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20018
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by wosbald » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:45 pm

+JMJ+

Scripture and Metaphysics: Aquinas and the Renewal of Trinitarian Theology by Matthew Levering

Image

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Posts: 23180
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by JimVH » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:01 pm

The Prayer of the Lord
RC Sproul

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 36769
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by UncleBob » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:22 am

Image
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20018
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by wosbald » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:11 pm

+JMJ+

Biblical Natural Law: A Theocentric and Teleological Approach by Matthew Levering

Image

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1597
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Warrensburg MO
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by mustangii » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:38 pm

Got a David Jeramiah study Bible from Santa, started reading it last Night.
edm
In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29341
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by coco » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:38 pm

Per Goose's recommendation:
Image
Lots of good pipe pictures:
Image
Image
At one point, they could only take what was most necessary for life itself:
pg. 96 wrote:The planned march required the men to drag with them basic supplies as well as two of the three lifeboats. Every hand had been issued new winter gear and a pound of tobacco. Beyond this, each was limited to two pounds of personal possessions.
(JB mentioned this)
Goose alluded to this in his post:
Shakleton, pg. 169 wrote:When I look back at those days I have no doubt that Providence guided us, not only across those snowfields, but across the storm-white sea that separated Elephant Island from our landing-place on South Georgia. I know that during that long and racking march of thirty-six hours over the unnamed mountains and glaciers of South Georgia it seemed to me often that we were four, not three. I said nothing to my companions on the point, but afterward Worsley said to me, "Boss, I had a curious feeling on the march that there was another person with us." Crean confessed the same idea.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 855
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 9:35 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by Adam Z » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:38 pm

Really enjoying this one.
Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk


I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 33275
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by John-Boy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:20 am

coco wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:38 pm
Per Goose's recommendation:
Image
Lots of good pipe pictures:
Image
Image
At one point, they could only take what was most necessary for life itself:
pg. 96 wrote:The planned march required the men to drag with them basic supplies as well as two of the three lifeboats. Every hand had been issued new winter gear and a pound of tobacco. Beyond this, each was limited to two pounds of personal possessions.
(JB mentioned this)
Goose alluded to this in his post:
Shakleton, pg. 169 wrote:When I look back at those days I have no doubt that Providence guided us, not only across those snowfields, but across the storm-white sea that separated Elephant Island from our landing-place on South Georgia. I know that during that long and racking march of thirty-six hours over the unnamed mountains and glaciers of South Georgia it seemed to me often that we were four, not three. I said nothing to my companions on the point, but afterward Worsley said to me, "Boss, I had a curious feeling on the march that there was another person with us." Crean confessed the same idea.
That's a good one.
► Show Spoiler
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29341
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by coco » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:22 am

John-Boy wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:20 am
coco wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:38 pm
Per Goose's recommendation:
Image
Lots of good pipe pictures:
Image
Image
At one point, they could only take what was most necessary for life itself:
pg. 96 wrote:The planned march required the men to drag with them basic supplies as well as two of the three lifeboats. Every hand had been issued new winter gear and a pound of tobacco. Beyond this, each was limited to two pounds of personal possessions.
(JB mentioned this)
Goose alluded to this in his post:
Shakleton, pg. 169 wrote:When I look back at those days I have no doubt that Providence guided us, not only across those snowfields, but across the storm-white sea that separated Elephant Island from our landing-place on South Georgia. I know that during that long and racking march of thirty-six hours over the unnamed mountains and glaciers of South Georgia it seemed to me often that we were four, not three. I said nothing to my companions on the point, but afterward Worsley said to me, "Boss, I had a curious feeling on the march that there was another person with us." Crean confessed the same idea.
That's a good one.
► Show Spoiler
I know, right?
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29341
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by coco » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:25 am

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Yes, I am FINALLY reading them.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Post Reply