THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 36892
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:16 am

Interesting.

The Journal of Forensic Sciences is a respected, peer-reviewed scientific journal.

In the normal course of forensic analysis, the evidence is taken as real and the analysis attempts to reconstruct the events.

This experiment was different: They presumed that the cloth neatly wrapped a man, in supine posture, who had been tortured to death according to eye-witness accounts. In the real world, the hasty burial of a bloody corpse likely resulted in some smudge stains that obscured the trails of blood.

I trust that the researchers are not biased. I would like for them to examine the Shroud again as if it were real, and see if they can reconstruct the events of the burial from the blood evidence that remains.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21441
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:36 pm

Del wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:16 am
Interesting.

The Journal of Forensic Sciences is a respected, peer-reviewed scientific journal.

In the normal course of forensic analysis, the evidence is taken as real and the analysis attempts to reconstruct the events.

This experiment was different: They presumed that the cloth neatly wrapped a man, in supine posture, who had been tortured to death according to eye-witness accounts. In the real world, the hasty burial of a bloody corpse likely resulted in some smudge stains that obscured the trails of blood.

I trust that the researchers are not biased. I would like for them to examine the Shroud again as if it were real, and see if they can reconstruct the events of the burial from the blood evidence that remains.
I remain skeptical about it’s authenticity. I usually do about many relics. However, I don’t really want to make an issue of it. Even “fake” ones have proven beneficial for many people’s faith and real experiences of faith happen around them. Frankly, I wish churches would simply refuse to participate in the science of authenticity. It detracts from the whole blessing these relics are. Even the “fake” ones become authentic in their own way.

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23266
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:07 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:36 pm
Del wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:16 am
Interesting.

The Journal of Forensic Sciences is a respected, peer-reviewed scientific journal.

In the normal course of forensic analysis, the evidence is taken as real and the analysis attempts to reconstruct the events.

This experiment was different: They presumed that the cloth neatly wrapped a man, in supine posture, who had been tortured to death according to eye-witness accounts. In the real world, the hasty burial of a bloody corpse likely resulted in some smudge stains that obscured the trails of blood.

I trust that the researchers are not biased. I would like for them to examine the Shroud again as if it were real, and see if they can reconstruct the events of the burial from the blood evidence that remains.
I remain skeptical about it’s authenticity. I usually do about many relics. However, I don’t really want to make an issue of it. Even “fake” ones have proven beneficial for many people’s faith and real experiences of faith happen around them. Frankly, I wish churches would simply refuse to participate in the science of authenticity. It detracts from the whole blessing these relics are. Even the “fake” ones become authentic in their own way.

Being skeptical is good!
In this case what isn't known is the condition of the corpus before being wrapped in the shroud---what position the corpus was in on the way to where it was wrapped and the extent of the hasty preparation (cleansing?) it was given. If the corpus had already bled out on the crucifix--which seems likely if the discharge from the spear wound went from blood to water as the Bible accounts--- it is possible there wouldn't be enough blood left to create the stain the article purports should have happened. Another unknown is how long the corpus was left enshrouded. If Christ had physically descended into hell before rising, I don't think he would have been enshrouded for the duration of the trip. The longer the time the corpus was in the shroud, the more the likelihood of blood pooling as the researchers described if there was enough blood remaining.

I'm not a forensic scientist but I have worked a few gruesome crime scenes.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9055
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:36 pm

I agree with Thunktank. Scientific attempts of authentication are a moot exercise, however interesting. Like gazing at a work of art, looking at the shroud's image can bring much to mind, if only to help one recognize if not visualize the severity of the crucifixion, and the cost of redemption.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 18856
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:21 am

+JMJ+

The strength of the Church in Gaza: living hope in the midst of chaos
Image

A humanitarian crisis

“Little things you take for granted become huge challenges” Mr. El-Yousef noticed about the daily life of Gazans and said that he was struck by the deterioration of the humanitarian situation since his last visit. In Gaza, electricity runs for only three hours per day while hygienic situation is catastrophic and only 5% of the houses have access to running water. You sometimes have to wait half an hour for the water pump to restart to rinse your hair. As for watching a football match in one go, it is like reaching for the stars. Furthermore, the traces of Israeli bombing in summer 2014 are still present: many infrastructures were not rebuilt.

For some time now, the situation has worsened even more. Residents are running out of money because neither the Palestinian Authority nor Hamas are paying wages – or only part of it – for their lack of cash. Hospitals such as Al Ahli Arab Hospital are overwhelmed by the armed repression of demonstrations at the border: since the beginning of the “Great March of Return”, there has been more than a thousand Palestinian amputee cases. Israelis are reinforcing the blockade, banning the entry of new goods. In this desperate situation, tensions grow quickly, so does insecurity. Indeed, the lack of ability to make plans for the future leads to rising tensions. What will be the future? A brutal war, the continuation of the blockade or a slow deterioration of the situation? Unemployment also continues to rise. Affecting 55% of working people in the Strip and 70% of the young people, it is a social scourge that prevents young people from building their lives and starting a family that they will have to take care of. Christians, who endures the economic situation and the Gaza siege just as much as their fellow Muslims, also suffer from this blight.

Young, Christian and Gazan: it makes a lot

If there is indeed less and less Christians in Gaza – 138 Catholics out of 1000 Christians –, Graduates or even many young Christians are determined to stay with their families on their land. For them, the priority is economic stability and development. Qualified or even overqualified, after having graduated from prestigious universities, they struggle to find work in their field – increasing unemployment is the direct repercussion of the blockade. While many scholarships have enabled the emergence of a young skilled and educated generation, 90% of young people do not find a first job after leaving university. Furthermore, their condition as a Christian does not help them, quite the reverse.

[…]

Glimmers of hope in the chaos

The Christian presence somewhat softens the bitter reality. Although many Christians emigrated from the Strip, the Christian institutions remain. There are five Christian schools in the Gaza Strip, including three Catholic, that host 3000 students, including 170 Christians. The Missionaries of Charity serve the weakest, especially the disabled. The Latin Patriarchate keeps building and renovating in order to make the future possible. In the Latin School of the Holy Family, the inner courtyard and the playground are being renovated; the construction of a courtyard to shade the courtyard is forthcoming. The Missionaries of Charity have built a new building for elderly people and the Sisters of the Rosary are also expanding their premises.




"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23266
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:32 pm

Bishops attacked, Cathedral under siege
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/07/27 ... kdown.html
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 36892
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:22 am

Hovannes wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:32 pm
Bishops attacked, Cathedral under siege
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/07/27 ... kdown.html
Have mercy, Lord.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 32294
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by John-Boy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:07 pm

wosbald wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:46 am
+JMJ+
<snip>
Post removed. I don't see the relevance to the thread.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 18856
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:02 pm

+JMJ+

Indian Catholic leaders protest call to ban sacrament of reconciliation
Image
(Credit: Didier Descouens/Wikimedia Commons.)

NEW DELHI, India — India’s Catholic Church has led a chorus of protest over a demand to ban the sacrament of reconciliation from the chairwoman of the National Commission for Women.

“This demand is absurd and it displays ignorance about the sacrament of confession,” Cardinal Oswald Gracias of Mumbai, president of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India, told Catholic News Service July 27.

“The tenor of the demand shows they do not understand the meaning nor do they have respect for religious freedom,” the cardinal said following wide media coverage of the July 26 demand from Rekha Sharma, commission chairwoman.

Sharma said that “priests pressure women into telling their secrets,” noting that the commission had heard testimony about one such case. “There must be many more such cases and what we have right now is just a tip of the iceberg,” she said in calling for the end of the Church practice of confessing sins.

[…]

The commission’s demand “betrays a total lack of understanding of the nature, meaning, sanctity and importance of this sacrament for our people; and also an ignorance of the strict laws of the Church to prevent any abuse,” Gracias said in a press statement July 27.

“Such a ban will be a direct infringement on our freedom of religion guaranteed by the Indian Constitution. … I am confident the government will totally ignore this absurd demand from the commission,” the cardinal said.

The cardinal urged the commission “to pay attention to empowerment of women, their capacity building, prevention of domestic violence, organizing rescue systems, and so on, instead of dabbling in religious matters about which it understands nothing.”

The Kerala Catholic Bishops’ Council branded the commission’s call “unconstitutional.”

“It is an attack on the Christian faith and spiritual practice,” the council said. “We strongly feel that the recommendation is unwarranted. … We suspect communal and political motives behind this unconstitutional interference into the internal spiritual affairs of the Church.”

[…]




"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Post Reply