THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:13 pm

DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Today I learned our Mary Chapel was dedicated by Archbishop Sheen. How cool is that?
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:42 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:22 pm
Today I learned our Mary Chapel was dedicated by Archbishop Sheen. How cool is that?
Very.
DL Jake

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:57 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:42 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Very.
Thanks. Sweet church, by the way. Checked out the website.

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:01 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:57 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:42 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Very.
Thanks. Sweet church, by the way. Checked out the website.
I am eagerly awaiting the outside stations of the cross event(s).
DL Jake

Jackman92
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Jackman92 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:45 pm

Which church? Which city?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Esse quam videri

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:32 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:13 pm
My local Church.
Right down the road from my town.

My local Church.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:30 pm

+JMJ+

On 70th anniversary, UN declaration still linchpin of human rights [In-Depth]
This 2010 photograph shows the U.N. Human Rights Council Chamber in Geneva, Switzerland. The original Commission on Human Rights was renamed Human Rights Council in 2006. (United Nations)

On its 70th anniversary today, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is being celebrated as a milestone in the history of human rights and the quest for human dignity.

But human rights defenders and advocates, including Catholic sisters who represent their congregations at the United Nations, say the commitment to uphold the rights enshrined in the document is under threat.

"We still have so far to go," Sr. Janet Kinney, a member of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Brentwood, New York, and the executive director of the Partnership for Global Justice, a U.N.-based advocacy organization.

"Human rights violations are widespread across the globe," Kinney told GSR. "Faced with the reality of the Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh, the plight of the people of Syria, the Israeli and Palestinian conflict, migrants being turned away from our American borders, the proliferation of nuclear weapons, the victims of human trafficking, the pilfering of our Earth of its natural resources — it can be overwhelming."

The situation has become so worrisome that Sr. Teresa Kotturan, U.N. representative for the Sisters of Charity Federation, said the 1948 declaration would have real trouble being approved today, given the rise of pro-nationalist politics throughout the world.

Left: Sr. Janet Kinney is a member of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Brentwood, New York and the executive director of the Partnership for Global Justice, a U.N-based advocacy group; Right: Sr. Teresa Kotturan is an NGO Representative at the United Nations for the Sisters of Charity Federation. (GSR photos / Chris Herlinger)

"If they were negotiating the declaration, it wouldn't pass. Governments are looking for loopholes in human rights law or have outright disdain for them," she told GSR in an interview. "It's everywhere. [Governments] do lip service to human rights and act with impunity … arbitrary decisions are made issue to issue."

She said rightward, nationalist movements are resulting in governments "having less respect for individual rights and less concern about what the rest of the world feels" or how it views a country's human rights record.

[…]

Eleanor Roosevelt, seated at table's center, chairman of the U.N. Commission on Human Rights, participates in a press conference after the completion of the Declaration of Human Rights in December 1948. (United Nations)

[…]

"We, religious sisters at the United Nations and our congregations, sustained by the church's social teachings, continue to move forward, to work toward curbing injustice and to hold those in power accountable," Kinney said.

"The Universal Declaration of Human Rights is a document worth celebrating, because it holds our global world to a higher standard," she said. "And as people of faith we are called to be its bearers of hope, to do what we can, and to help bring its ideals to fruition."

But holding governments to higher standards is not easy. Sharing the platform with Guterres at the Sept. 26 event, Michelle Bachelet, the U.N. high commissioner for human rights and the former president of Chile, warned that progress made in the last 70 years is facing obstacles.

"In many countries, the fundamental recognition that all human beings are equal and have inherent rights, is under attack," she said. "And the institutions set up by states to achieve common solutions are being undermined."

One sign of how human rights are being minimized was the decision announced by the United States in June to withdraw from participation in the Geneva-based United Nations Human Rights Council, citing U.N. criticisms against Israel's treatment of Palestinians. President Donald Trump has also praised leaders of countries criticized for their human rights records, such as North Korea, Russia and the Philippines.

U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres, on screens, delivers remarks during a high-level meeting about the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Sept. 26 at the United Nations. (United Nations)

[…]

The U.N. chief [Secretary-General António Guterres] noted that there is "still resistance to supporting human rights, often linked to a false dichotomy between those rights and national sovereignty. But human rights and sovereignty must go hand in hand."

Human rights, he argued, actually "strengthen states and societies and reinforce sovereignty. We have ample evidence that state-sponsored human rights abuses are a sign of weakness, not strength. They are often precursors to conflict and even to collapse."

Sr. Sheila Smith, the United Nations representative for the Society of the Sacred Heart, notes the declaration is a secular-based ethical framework that "can speak to other frameworks, like religious ones. We can talk with it. We share the same values."

While still "extremely relevant" in the world today, the 1948 document has shortfalls, Smith told GSR in an interview. The goal to "actualize it," so that it is not just international law on paper but is an ongoing, contentious challenge, she said. "There's always that struggle over the implementation," she said.

[…]

Left: Sr. Sheila Smith the United Nations representative for the Society of the Sacred Heart, notes the declaration is a secular-based ethical framework that "can speak to other frameworks, like religious ones. We can talk with it. We share the same values." (GSR photo / Chris Herlinger) Right: Michelle Bachelet, United Nations high commissioner for human rights, speaks at a meeting about the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Sept. 26 at the United Nations. (United Nations)

[…]

Eleanor Roosevelt of the United States addresses the United Nations General Assembly prior to the adoption of the Declaration of Human Rights, in Palais de Chaillot, Paris, December 1948. The former first lady was the first chairman of its Commission on Human Rights, now called the U.N. Human Rights Council. (United Nations)

[…]

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:59 pm

Kerdy wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:32 am
DepartedLight wrote:
My local Church.

My local Church.
Is there a DL Kerdy meetup at Mass thing possible?
DL Jake

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:59 am

Happy Gaudete Sunday!

Rejoice, fellers. I want to see some serious rejoicing.

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:01 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:59 am
Happy Gaudete Sunday!

I almost posted a dancing something.

Almost.
DL Jake

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:14 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:01 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Happy Gaudete Sunday!

Almost.
I said rejoice, boyo. Start rejoicing, you prodigal son, you.

Me? I rejoiced my brains out.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:28 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:14 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:01 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Happy Gaudete Sunday!

Almost.
I said rejoice, boyo. Start rejoicing, you prodigal son, you.

Me? I rejoiced my brains out.
Rejoice in the Lord always, dammit! I will say it again: Rejoice!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Del

Post by Del » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:30 pm

Kerdy wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
My local Church.

My local Church.
Mine!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:55 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:30 pm
Kerdy wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
My local Church.

My local Church.
Mine!
Here's mine
http://www.stanthonyfresno.org/?page_id=9517
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Del

Post by Del » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Mine!

Here's a short video that does a great job of capturing our parish's spirit. It's a little, old, country parish nestled among Wisconsin farms. Families come from far around to worship in a devout & kid-friendly parish. Simply beautiful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT96YcFrMow

The end of the video features our new Rosary of Life garden. Five decades of rose bushes, surrounding burial sites and memorial plaques for children lost to miscarriage and abortion.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:10 pm
Mine!

Here's a short video that does a great job of capturing our parish's spirit. It's a little, old, country parish nestled among Wisconsin farms. Families come from far around to worship in a devout & kid-friendly parish. Simply beautiful!

The end of the video features our new Rosary of Life garden. Five decades of rose bushes, surrounding burial sites and memorial plaques for children lost to miscarriage and abortion.
What a wonderful church. I often wonder if that's what's meant by "a remnant." The little country places that escaped .

Del

Post by Del » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:46 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:38 pm
Del wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:10 pm
Mine!

What a wonderful church. I often wonder if that's what's meant by "a remnant." The little country places that escaped .
It's not a remnant.... It's a renewal.

A new generation of young priests are leading small parishes outside of Madison, and they are adopting traditional worship with enthusiasm. Young families are driving out of the suburbs to have this.

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:58 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:59 pm
Kerdy wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
My local Church.

My local Church.
Is there a DL Kerdy meetup at Mass thing possible?
It is possible, but to be honest, I haven't been in a long while. I would like to attend Mass with you. You could help me out on the rusty parts.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:24 am

+JMJ+

Senators employ stalking horse to oppose Catholic judicial nominee [News Analysis]
(Credit: Stock image)

Two Democratic senators appear to be using the Knights of Columbus as a stalking horse for objections to the Catholic Church writ large.

Rome — In hunting, a “stalking horse” is a screen in the shape of a horse or some other animal that someone hides behind to disguise themselves from their prey. It’s a similar concept in politics, when you go after one target but your real intent is to strike another.

We got a perfect illustration recently when two U.S. senators objected to the nomination of Brian Buescher for the U.S. district court in Nebraska on the grounds that he’s a member of the Knights of Columbus.

According to Senators Mazie Hirono of Hawaii and Kamala Harris of California, both Democrats, the Knights’ positions on abortion and same-sex marriage could interfere with Buescher’s ability to fairly judge the sorts of cases that come before federal courts.

(The Knights of Columbus are a principal sponsor of Crux.)

Hirono and Harris are certainly within their rights, not to mention their party’s version of orthodoxy, to argue for abortion rights and same-sex marriage, and even to challenge the nomination of judges who hold different views on those issues. That’s the democratic process in a nutshell.

However, the flaw in their logic is this: Opposition to abortion and gay marriage are not policy positions of the Knights of Columbus but of the Catholic Church, as articulated most recently by the current leader of the Church, Pope Francis.

On abortion, Francis takes a remarkably strong rhetorical line, even comparing the decision to have an abortion to “hiring a hitman to resolve a problem” during one of his weekly general audiences in October.

“How can an act that suppresses an innocent and helpless life as it blossoms be therapeutic, civil or, simply, humane?” the pope asked.

[…]

On other occasions, Francis has called abortion an “unspeakable crime”, pleaded with doctors not to perform abortions, and described pressures to have abortions as the result of “a secular culture which devalues God’s gift of sexuality and the right to life of the unborn.”

Despite his strong emphasis on compassion and outreach to LGBT people, Francis also has been firm in his opposition to gay marriage.

In a book-length interview last year with with Dominique Wolton, a 70-year-old French sociologist and expert in media and political communication, Francis argued that by its very definition, marriage can only be between a man and a woman.

[…]

This past June, Francis argued that gay couples cannot form “families” in the full Christian sense of the word.

“It is painful to say this today: People speak of varied families, of various kinds of family,” but “the family [as] man and woman in the image of God is the only one,” Francis said in unscripted remarks to an Italian organization representing Catholic families.

One could go on piling up examples, but the point ought to be clear: Saying “no” to abortion and same-sex marriage is not an idée fixe of the Knights of Columbus, but rather the corporate stance of the Catholic Church and its leadership.

In other words, Hirono and Harris are employing a stalking horse in the Buescher case, because their real target isn’t the Knights of Columbus but Catholic teaching. Presumably, however, they felt it would be poor form to say they wanted Buescher blackballed because he’s Catholic, so they picked a softer target.

[…]

(Actually, Catholics attuned to the fine points of theological argot would insist that opposition to abortion and same-sex marriage aren’t really “Catholic” positions either, because they don’t come from specifically religious revelation but from natural law, which in principle anyone can share. For now, however, that doesn’t need to bog us down, because the point is that the Church has a clear stance regardless of how it regards the basis of that stance.)

For sure, it’s eminently legitimate to argue that the Church is wrong on the merits on abortion and marriage, or at least that its positions shouldn’t be allowed to influence the civil law of the land.

However, for integrity’s sake, it’s important to be clear whom that argument is with — and it’s not the Knights of Columbus or anyone else. It’s with the Catholic Church and the man in white.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco