THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19979
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:03 am

Just come out of the closet already.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs
Posts: 39844
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:04 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:03 am
Just come out of the closet already.
Starting page #134 with the harshest post of this entire thread. :lol:
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19979
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:48 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:04 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:03 am
Just come out of the closet already.
Starting page #134 with the harshest post of this entire thread. :lol:
I meant as a Lutheran. I’m joking. Never once, not in a million, squillion years, did I mean to intimate that. :cry:
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20931
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:36 am

+JMJ+

Image


ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19979
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:32 am

wosbald wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:36 am
+JMJ+

Image

I was about to harass you about this. Thanks for posting it
For all the internecine silliness, THIS is who we are.

Thanks, Wos.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26300
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:28 pm

And a blessed Feast of the Assumption to you all!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26300
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:57 pm

From Fr Z---

Image
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs
Posts: 39844
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:05 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:57 pm
From Fr Z---

Image
I heard TLM with FR. Z yesterday, Feast of the Assumption.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20931
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:20 am

+JMJ+

How the butter pie became one of the most iconic foods in Lancashire [In-Depth]
Image
The brief but fascinating history of the Butter Pie. (Image: Tony Worrall)

How the Reformation, Catholic migrants and Lent gave birth to the Butter Pie.

We've covered Lancashire witches, the Cotton Panic, famous faces and Colne adventurers.

But let's be honest, those history articles cower in the face of this truly monumental piece.

This is the history of one of Preston's most important delicacies, the food stuff that has kept the north west nourished for centuries.

This is the history of the Butter Pie, with all the social implications, drama and taste thrown in.


Before the pie: Reformation, Irish immigrants and Catholics

It's strange to think that something like religion would have an influence on a pie but in this case the Butter Pie would have never existed if it weren't for Catholicism.

[…]

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26300
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:13 pm

"False News" Vigano who misrepresented falsified Benedict gets a promotion from Francis?
Image
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news ... nces-41063
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs
Posts: 39844
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:23 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:13 pm
"False News" Vigano who misrepresented falsified Benedict gets a promotion from Francis?
Image
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news ... nces-41063
This is Msgr. Dario Edoardo Vigano.... This is not Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò, former nuncio to the US, who blew the whistle on the Lavender Mafia of gay clergy in the US hierarchy.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26300
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:42 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:23 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:13 pm
"False News" Vigano who misrepresented falsified Benedict gets a promotion from Francis?
Image
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news ... nces-41063
This is Msgr. Dario Edoardo Vigano.... This is not Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò, former nuncio to the US, who blew the whistle on the Lavender Mafia of gay clergy in the US hierarchy.
Why would a journalist who falsified Benedict's writing be promoted to Vice Chancellor of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences? Wouldn't that be an office proper for a Scientist, not a Journalist (and not a very good Journalist at that?)
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs
Posts: 39844
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:51 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:42 pm
Del wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:23 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:13 pm
"False News" Vigano who misrepresented falsified Benedict gets a promotion from Francis?
Image
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news ... nces-41063
This is Msgr. Dario Edoardo Vigano.... This is not Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò, former nuncio to the US, who blew the whistle on the Lavender Mafia of gay clergy in the US hierarchy.
Why would a journalist who falsified Benedict's writing be promoted to Vice Chancellor of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences? Wouldn't that be an office proper for a Scientist, not a Journalist (and not a very good Journalist at that?)
I dunno. Maybe Francis needs a hack journalist to report on advances in research regarding climate change.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20931
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:23 am

+JMJ+


ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19979
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:27 am

wosbald wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:23 am
+JMJ+

3 of them Jesuits, eh?
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
CodeMonkey
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud
Posts: 5901
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Dark side of the moon

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by CodeMonkey » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:00 pm

I've been watching an interesting documentary on Marian Days that takes place each year in Carthage, MO. I knew that it happened each year, but I didn't realize just how big it was. Below is a link to the documentary if you are interested.
Marian Days: A Spiritual and Cultural Homecoming
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

User avatar
Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs
Posts: 39844
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:00 pm

CodeMonkey wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:00 pm
I've been watching an interesting documentary on Marian Days that takes place each year in Carthage, MO. I knew that it happened each year, but I didn't realize just how big it was. Below is a link to the documentary if you are interested.
Marian Days: A Spiritual and Cultural Homecoming
This is amazing!

I have a cousin who lives in Carthage. I must ask her more about this when we gather at Christmas.



This reminds me of a joke about the hipster Catholic who goes to the 4:30 Vietnamese-language Mass on Saturday -- because the Spanish Mass is too mainstream.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs
Posts: 39844
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Del » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:54 pm

Okay... We watched the whole thing about the Vietnamese celebration of Marian Days in Carthage, MO.... and now my family wants to make a pilgrimage to be part of this.

Especially in our current secular climate. I want to celebrate with a large number of immigrants who don't know they are victims... among an entire town full of Bible Christians who don't know that they are bigots.

Carthage is only 1 hour away from Springfield. Hmmm....
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26300
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by Hovannes » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:36 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:54 pm
Okay... We watched the whole thing about the Vietnamese celebration of Marian Days in Carthage, MO.... and now my family wants to make a pilgrimage to be part of this.

Especially in our current secular climate. I want to celebrate with a large number of immigrants who don't know they are victims... among an entire town full of Bible Christians who don't know that they are bigots.

Carthage is only 1 hour away from Springfield. Hmmm....
This sounds like a grand time! :D
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20931
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:59 am

+JMJ+


ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Post Reply