How Global Birthrates Could Bounce Back

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Re: How Global Birthrates Could Bounce Back

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:32 pm

This should provide adequate lubrication for the soundtrack
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:44 am

Lubrication? 8-O :lol:
===================================
Back to the O.P.: People from big families tend to have big families. People from small families tend to have small families.

I wonder how much social media and online relationships are going to play into this. I can see that my kids, who are from a relatively large family, already don't spend as much real time with their friends as I did with mine. They're fine with e intimacy and there's always something to do or experience online. I've also heard that teen pregnancy is down and so is teen sex overall. What will be the long term effects? I remember when I first got married. When there was nothing else to do, guess what we did? We didn't retreat to our phones, that's for sure.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:55 am

Cleon wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:44 am
Back to the O.P.: People from big families tend to have big families. People from small families tend to have small families.

I wonder how much social media and online relationships are going to play into this. I can see that my kids, who are from a relatively large family, already don't spend as much real time with their friends as I did with mine. They're fine with e intimacy and there's always something to do or experience online. I've also heard that teen pregnancy is down and so is teen sex overall. What will be the long term effects? I remember when I first got married. When there was nothing else to do, guess what we did? We didn't retreat to our phones, that's for sure.
Cleon,

I've seen the numbers, too. I'm curious whether they reflect anything except one generation's tendency to rebel against the generation that raised them.

I'm an only son. I have three kids. My father's generation didnt join fraternal organizations. Mine did. My generation screwed their brains out before marriage. When your parents were hypersexual sluts, well--how do you rebel? I suggest by being a straight arrow.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:12 am

Cleon wrote:
Lubrication? 8-O :lol:
Indeed!

“Beer has long been the prime lubricant in our social intercourse and the sacred throat-anointing fluid that accompanies the ritual of mateship.” — Rennie Ellis.
Cleon wrote:
===================================
This is the premise of Idiocracy. A great movie!
Cleon wrote:
Japan has been playing with electronics and experiencing suicidal birth rate longer than we have. Here is a short video looking at Japan's fate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXSJ35_v2M
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:39 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:55 am
Cleon wrote:

Cleon,

I've seen the numbers, too. I'm curious whether they reflect anything except one generation's tendency to rebel against the generation that raised them.

I'm an only son. I have three kids. My father's generation didnt join fraternal organizations. Mine did. My generation screwed their brains out before marriage. When your parents were hypersexual sluts, well--how do you rebel? I suggest by being a straight arrow.
There's that, for sure. They see our shortcomings better than anyone.

I tease my older kids with "back in my day". It's sort of tongue in cheek, but sort of not. One of the things I joke about is that their generation can't even fornicate the right way. There's definitely good things about that. They aren't going to get pregnant or diseased, but the spiritual and emotional damage will still be there. It's still not safe, just different. So different I'm afraid I can't relate™. Any fornicating is not good. But their generation's is unnaturally not good. Does that make sense? What if this non desire for corporeal interaction spills over into their marriage or even causes them not to want marriage? Look at Japan. From what I've read their youth are remaining celibate, rejecting marriage, becoming insulated, and depressed. They've got a huge problem facing them with an impending demographic winter and, if I recall, the retreat from reality through technology has a large bit to do with it.

Anyway, the OP had a positive take on things and here I am being negative all the sudden.

Edit: Del, you beat me to it. Should I be worried? And when did "I can't rel@te" get an automatic TM? :lol:
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:32 pm

hugodrax wrote:So about six years ago, my wife and I were shopping for a new mattress and almost got a memory foam. I was so excited. She beats me in her sleep, you see. I was once awakened to the sight of her playing soccer in her sleep, juggling a ball down field before launching the game-winning kick.

All of a sudden, my wife called the salesman back over and surprised the heck out of me. She's rather aristocratic, you see: friendly but proper with a mid-Victorian sense of propriety.

Imagine my shock when she asked the guy how people f'd on one of those! Hell, imagine the guy's shock. I slunk out the door.

My youngest turns six in May.
I should have paid attention to this thread earlier.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

It takes a smart eye feller to say, "I feller smart".

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:29 pm

The solution is simple:
Clone Famke Janssen!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Re: Re:

Post by Nature of a Man » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:28 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:44 am
Nature of a Man wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:25 am
Del wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:02 pm
Cleon wrote:
serapion wrote:Hasn't this always been the Catholic (and for that matter Muslim) strategy? Out-reproduce 'em. Don't knock it till you've tried it! It works.
I think it's been the Christian way up until recent times. Christians give birth to Christians. It's a very simple covenantal concept that goes back to the beginning.

Where's Del? :lol:
Why is everyone looking at me?

It is common in history that the life-affirming cultures supersede the cultures of death. Muslims are quietly conquering post-Christian Europe after 1300 years of failing to conquer Christian Europe.

As a personal testimony, my wife and I regret that we only had two kids. And our sons agree that they would be happier with more brothers and sisters, and less stuff. And we didn't even have a good reason for limiting our family -- it was just the style of the time, and we didn't think to question it.

As to the "carrying capacity" of the planet -- our ability to grow and transport food has expanded much faster than the world's population. We have never had more capacity to feed and comfort humanity than we enjoy now. Yet the Malthusian myth of "over-population" never dies. (I think it is racist at heart.... folks who favor population control are pretty quick to blame all problems on all of those Africans and Asians. The UN has a pretty aggressive program of reducing their "surplus population.")

I go to a parish that has several young families with four and six and more kids. They are always so extremely happy. I encourage young people to be open to that happiness. It means some material sacrifices, but the joy and love pay off so much better in return!
"Population control" in the sense of preventing severe abusers or neglectors from having children I would argue is different.

Most of the broad claims about "overpopulation" seem somewhat absurd, however I believe overpopulation can happen relative to one's capacity or willingness to provide for their children relative to the resources available to them - such as what we see in the case of some "welfare families" or individuals with no job or employment intentionally siring children without providing for them.

(In this sense, my take is that "population control" in this sense is somewhat culturally ubiquitous; such as how punishment for adultery in the Bible was punishment not only for sin on the individual level, but also a means of preventing illegitimate children from being born when the resources to provide for them would not be available, as they would in a marriage).
No, no, no.

You take her out on the town. Ensure she has a magical evening and sees you in a different light than other men. Invite her in to see your etchings. Make her a champagne cocktail. Next thing you know, boom, you’re doing the horizontal mambo.

Don’t slobber all over her the minute you see her and try to drag her in the bushes then go all premature in your boxers at the thought of it. That’s amateur hour. Just embarrassing yourself, kid.
But in seriousness (though I know you didn't mean it), no - that might be advice for adolescent boys in a consumerist culture who haven't expent their allotted "luck", but not advice for someone who is aiming to be like Christ.

And I'm sure there isn't much romantic about it, just as it isn't very "romantic" to worry about whether the <zederated> was honest about being of legal age or not - or to worry whether or not she's married (assuming she isn't worried herself, and her husband is too limp-wristed to have a say in the matter of his wife's boyfriends on way or another).

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Nature of a Man wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:28 am
hugodrax wrote:
Nature of a Man wrote:
Del wrote:
Cleon wrote:
serapion wrote:Hasn't this always been the Catholic (and for that matter Muslim) strategy? Out-reproduce 'em. Don't knock it till you've tried it! It works.
I think it's been the Christian way up until recent times. Christians give birth to Christians. It's a very simple covenantal concept that goes back to the beginning.

It is common in history that the life-affirming cultures supersede the cultures of death. Muslims are quietly conquering post-Christian Europe after 1300 years of failing to conquer Christian Europe.

As a personal testimony, my wife and I regret that we only had two kids. And our sons agree that they would be happier with more brothers and sisters, and less stuff. And we didn't even have a good reason for limiting our family -- it was just the style of the time, and we didn't think to question it.

As to the "carrying capacity" of the planet -- our ability to grow and transport food has expanded much faster than the world's population. We have never had more capacity to feed and comfort humanity than we enjoy now. Yet the Malthusian myth of "over-population" never dies. (I think it is racist at heart.... folks who favor population control are pretty quick to blame all problems on all of those Africans and Asians. The UN has a pretty aggressive program of reducing their "surplus population.")

I go to a parish that has several young families with four and six and more kids. They are always so extremely happy. I encourage young people to be open to that happiness. It means some material sacrifices, but the joy and love pay off so much better in return!
"Population control" in the sense of preventing severe abusers or neglectors from having children I would argue is different.

Most of the broad claims about "overpopulation" seem somewhat absurd, however I believe overpopulation can happen relative to one's capacity or willingness to provide for their children relative to the resources available to them - such as what we see in the case of some "welfare families" or individuals with no job or employment intentionally siring children without providing for them.

(In this sense, my take is that "population control" in this sense is somewhat culturally ubiquitous; such as how punishment for adultery in the Bible was punishment not only for sin on the individual level, but also a means of preventing illegitimate children from being born when the resources to provide for them would not be available, as they would in a marriage).
No, no, no.

You take her out on the town. Ensure she has a magical evening and sees you in a different light than other men. Invite her in to see your etchings. Make her a champagne cocktail. Next thing you know, boom, you’re doing the horizontal mambo.

Don’t slobber all over her the minute you see her and try to drag her in the bushes then go all premature in your boxers at the thought of it. That’s amateur hour. Just embarrassing yourself, kid.
But in seriousness (though I know you didn't mean it), no - that might be advice for adolescent boys in a consumerist culture who haven't expent their allotted "luck", but not advice for someone who is aiming to be like Christ.

And I'm sure there isn't much romantic about it, just as it isn't very "romantic" to worry about whether the <zederated> was honest about being of legal age or not - or to worry whether or not she's married (assuming she isn't worried herself, and her husband is too limp-wristed to have a say in the matter of his wife's boyfriends on way or another).
Well, I wouldnt advocate you try it, sir, but a little practical application of all of this theorizing might be beneficial to your world view.

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:53 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:16 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Nature of a Man wrote:
Del wrote:
Cleon wrote:

No, no, no.

Well, I wouldnt advocate you try it, sir, but a little practical application of all of this theorizing might be beneficial to your world view.
It has been done, moreso by the women in question than anyone's "game" or whatever adolescent boys fantasize they've "got" that makes them special, beyond simply "not being obese". More than a "little" practical application would have gotten me hurt, or made me hurt someone.

But thank you for not being a part of the consumerist culture which advocates both the theory, and the practice thereof. If one wants to be like Jesus, they have to repent and atone for their sins and adulteries, and dispense with the wicked generational trends which enable them.

Now what's your story with applying this theory?

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:14 pm

Nature of a Man wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:53 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:16 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Nature of a Man wrote:
Del wrote:
Cleon wrote:

No, no, no.

It has been done, moreso by the women in question than anyone's "game" or whatever adolescent boys fantasize they've "got" that makes them special, beyond simply "not being obese". More than a "little" practical application would have gotten me hurt, or made me hurt someone.

But thank you for not being a part of the consumerist culture which advocates both the theory, and the practice thereof. If one wants to be like Jesus, they have to repent and atone for their sins and adulteries, and dispense with the wicked generational trends which enable them.

Now what's your story with applying this theory?
Much like the good Dr. Watson's, I'm afraid. Happily married with three kids now.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:56 pm

This could throw a monkey wrench into the bounce back:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-31/ ... 53568521=1