GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21811
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Thunktank » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:48 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:24 am
JimVH wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:51 am
Hovannes wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:08 am
The smell of Nitro-solvent does amazing things for bringing back comforting memories...
You are so right, Hov. It's remarkable.
Hoppe’s #9 and wet gun dog smells trigger more wonderful memories than anything else I can imagine.
My older dog used to get excited when I brought a gun out of the safe. I'll bet he also liked the smell of nitro solvent. I plan to work on getting both of my dogs to like that smell again. I guess I need to travel for birds these days.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20924
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Jocose » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:39 pm

Unkinjoe wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:49 am
Jocose wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:05 pm
Omly the police and military should have guns.
to each his own I guess, but think about this. If only the police should have guns then we would all be speaking German now and you would likely be working for a government that owned all the guns.
Welll, consider that most of the rest of the world do not have guns.

:egor:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23773
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:39 pm
Unkinjoe wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:49 am
Jocose wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:05 pm
Omly the police and military should have guns.
to each his own I guess, but think about this. If only the police should have guns then we would all be speaking German now and you would likely be working for a government that owned all the guns.
Welll, consider that most of the rest of the world do not have guns.

:egor:
Which is why people seldom go broke in the gun running business.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21811
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Thunktank » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:23 pm

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5923
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by durangopipe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:06 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:23 pm
A gun I trust Jocose with. An adult sized Red Ryder!

There will be more by Christmas.
I like the can launcher!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21811
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Thunktank » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:30 am

Saturday morning some friends and I decided to take a camping trip to the desert. I suggested we bring airguns to go shooting with. My friends, had a few kids 5 and under, heck there isn't enough ear muffs to go around. So Sunday morning we headed out on BLM lands on dirt tracks to go shooting. So was everyone else. The weather was perfect. The desert is a beautiful place to be when it isnt hot.

My son with his Daisy 880 powerline:

Image

That little rifle of his shoots darn good for cheap gun!

By the time this picture was taken the little ones where in the Jeep playing. People set up next to us and where shooting all sorts of things that were loud and not legal.
We left shortly thereafter, good thing we got an early start. We shot till our arms were sore anyway.

Image
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21967
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by JimVH » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:33 am

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:30 am
Saturday morning some friends and I decided to take a camping trip to the desert. I suggested we bring airguns to go shooting with. My friends, had a few kids 5 and under, heck there isn't enough ear muffs to go around. So Sunday morning we headed out on BLM lands on dirt tracks to go shooting. So was everyone else. The weather was perfect. The desert is a beautiful place to be when it isnt hot.

My son with his Daisy 880 powerline:

Image

That little rifle of his shoots darn good for cheap gun!

By the time this picture was taken the little ones where in the Jeep playing. People set up next to us and where shooting all sorts of things that were loud and not legal.
We left shortly thereafter, good thing we got an early start. We shot till our arms were sore anyway.

Image
Outstanding.

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23773
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:55 pm

"Always assume a gun is loaded"
Yeah, :facepalm:
https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your ... ther-f-16/
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23773
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:00 am

The LEBEL vs the HK416F, in French!
https://youtu.be/3oyGo0_GNV4
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20924
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Jocose » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:01 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc. ... -mcdonalds

Fight crime, shoot back.

“Because I can only imagine how it would’ve went if he wasn’t armed"
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23773
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Here's some very special pistols recently delivered to the US Army Tomb of the Unknowns
http://soldiersystems.net/2018/10/13/to ... 7-pistols/
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23773
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:08 am

Priests dedicate new shooting range in Poland
https://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism/co ... ing_range/
Image
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5923
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by durangopipe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:50 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:08 am
Priests dedicate new shooting range in Poland
https://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism/co ... ing_range/
Image
Now this is a CPS appropriate photo if ever I saw one!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16631
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by hugodrax » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:55 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:50 am
Hovannes wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:08 am
Priests dedicate new shooting range in Poland
https://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism/co ... ing_range/
Image
Now this is a CPS appropriate photo if ever I saw one!
I've just saved that photo for future theological thread purposes.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23773
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:14 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:55 am
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:50 am
Hovannes wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:08 am
Priests dedicate new shooting range in Poland
https://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism/co ... ing_range/
Image
Now this is a CPS appropriate photo if ever I saw one!
I've just saved that photo for future theological thread purposes.
You're welcome!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names
Posts: 2171
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by joegoat » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:10 pm

I built a Springfield 1842 musket that I'm dying to try out. Freaking Ohio has closed down the local range for at least a year. The next closest one is over an hour away and I'm not about to join one of the snobby gun clubs around me... There it sits, propped in the corner, with 160 rounds split into round ball and buck and ball paper cartridges. Each ball hand cast and each paper cartridge painstakingly rolled and bundled in 10 round arsenal packs, labled and tied with string.
I have a love for Civil War era firearms. This musket is more special to me than my .58 rifled muskets or revolvers though because according to turn in records after the war, my ancestor carried one while he served The U***n forces in the 55th PA Infantry.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21811
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Thunktank » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:00 pm

joegoat wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:10 pm
I built a Springfield 1842 musket that I'm dying to try out. Freaking Ohio has closed down the local range for at least a year. The next closest one is over an hour away and I'm not about to join one of the snobby gun clubs around me... There it sits, propped in the corner, with 160 rounds split into round ball and buck and ball paper cartridges. Each ball hand cast and each paper cartridge painstakingly rolled and bundled in 10 round arsenal packs, labled and tied with string.
I have a love for Civil War era firearms. This musket is more special to me than my .58 rifled muskets or revolvers though because according to turn in records after the war, my ancestor carried one while he served The U***n forces in the 55th PA Infantry.
8)

Sounds like a good buck and ball musket. Where are the pics?

I always loved black powder too, old and new alike. I lived just down the road from Dixons Muzzleloading Shop where I would often attend the black powder Fair and store. That was more colonial, longhunter and revolutionary of course, but they did have quite a bit of Civil War specific stuff as well. I keep thinking I ought to build a nice flintlock someday.

Oh, and an hour or two of drive time to get to a good range is no big deal. Road trip.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21811
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Thunktank » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Installed a new scope and sling on my Diana today. Time to get serious about accuracy testing.

Image

Put the other scope back on the Sheridan Blue Streak.

Small game beware! These air rifles are perfect for some of the areas I hunt where the 22 magnum and LR makes me nervous to use. So many off roaders and ATVs that use the areas too. Besides, with the new lead free requirements for firearms, these pellet guns are more accurate at close range anyway. Kills em just as dead too.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21967
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by JimVH » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Grandson two called this morning wanting to go to the range. He bought a new pew pew (his term) and wanted to run a box through it. One of my pistols we took, a Beretta 92FS, hadn't been fired since inheriting it three years ago. I made a big mistake not inspecting it, first. It would not cycle ammo properly. After just a few rounds I put it up. At first I thought it was the reload ammo, but it was cycling fine in my other weapon. I got home and broke it down to find it was nasty and gummed up beyond belief. I guess it had never been cleaned before getting to me. I'm sending it to a smith to give it a deep clean and make sure it is operational. I never should have fired it without a good inspection. Lesson learned.

I was proud of my boy's maturity and judgement on the range. He's grown into a fine young man. I especially dig that he's old enough to fund his own hobbies now, too. :)

Other than the one issue we had good times, smoked some good tobacco, and put our booger hook on the bang switch (also his term) a bunch.

Post Reply