GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by John-Boy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:23 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:56 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:50 am
I had a No. 1 once upon a time.
This looks like signature material right there.
Or a prayer request.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:42 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:05 pm
Unkinjoe wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:59 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:42 pm
I found a used Ruger No 1 in 300 Winchester Magnum. $500 in very good condition. I want it so bad.
someone on my LGS was looking for one just the other day in 300Win mag. They must be rare.
.338 Win mag is better Elk medicine
I’ve resisted for whatever reason that makes little sense to me. The 300 Win mag is large enough, the 338 Win Mag would ruin it. Now a 338 Federal would be really cool! For whatever reason that caliber never took off.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:14 pm

Caliber envy 'tis a terrible thing.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:31 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:14 pm
Caliber envy 'tis a terrible thing.
No, I’ll show you terrible. I’m about to share with the Old Fashioned Sportsmen of CPS a heartbreaking, yet awesome innovation that fits right into my personal tendency to love both historical traditions and technocratic science fiction dreams. The rest of you will simply cry inside. I’m sorry.

Above I mentioned my interest in the 338 Federal. To me, it’s the most perfect sensible large game caliber ever conceived for the hunter who hunts the traditional way. You know, not a “long range” hunter seeking to take elk at 800 yards and such.

Well it turns out that the 8.6 Creedmoor is on its way and has the potential to take the future by storm.

Now, I have no problem with the caliber, in fact I’m very interested in it. It’s beautiful and would work well in a carbine sized rifle. Of course I’m thinking of a traditionally styled rifle. But now someone has decided that such guns aren’t sexy anymore and are finding new fashions more desirable. I was waiting for this to happen. I knew it was coming. Watch it and weep.

The Q Fix
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:26 pm

With “blue accents?”
I’m sure that makes it more effective.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:19 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:26 pm
With “blue accents?”
As I understand it, blue is one of the few colors animals in the deer family see, along with green. It will pop against the hunters camouflage and make him/her more attractive. :mrgreen:

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:34 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:19 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:26 pm
With “blue accents?”
As I understand it, blue is one of the few colors animals in the deer family see, along with green. It will pop against the hunters camouflage and make him/her more attractive. :mrgreen:
Well there you go. :facepalm:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:47 pm

Quoted from your article:
"Firearm deaths in the data include gun deaths by homicide and suicide, unintentional deaths, deaths in war or legal interventions, and deaths that are undetermined."

Quoted from https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statist ... cide.shtml

"Suicide is a Leading Cause of Death in the United States
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) WISQARS Leading Causes of Death Reports, in 2016:
Suicide was the tenth leading cause of death overall in the United States, claiming the lives of nearly 45,000 people.
Suicide was the second leading cause of death among individuals between the ages of 10 and 34, and the fourth leading cause of death among individuals between the ages of 35 and 54.
There were more than twice as many suicides (44,965) in the United States as there were homicides (19,362)."
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:03 am

Q can say what it wants. I would rather have Dad’s guns.

durangopipe

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin

Post by durangopipe » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:28 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:03 am
Yup.
And I believe my son feels the same way.

I’d like to imagine my walnut stocked, bolt action hunting rifles in his hands after I pass, and ending up in my granddaughters’ safes when he passes on. Even more, I like to imagine them all out in the woods hunting with them.

While we’re on the subject...

I’m hoping to improve sufficiently to think about bird hunting with my new pup come fall, and maybe even some mulie hunting (I live in unit 74 and we’re just loaded with them), and I’m eyeing some lightweight rifles. Might not get anything new, but it’s always fun to look.

I’m window shopping some light .308s I’m familiar with (never thought a great deal about rifle weight in the past):

Tikka T3X Light Stainless
Ruger Hawkeye Compact
Winchester Featherweight

I'm leaning toward the Featherweight. I love the way the Tikka shoots, but it looks like a plastic toy. I have one in .223 - it’s among my best shooting rifles, but I’d rather leave my son mostly (affordable) nicer guns. The Ruger compact is wonderfully light and walnut stocked, but stocked very short. I’d have to put an awkwardly long recoil pad on it to get something resembling a good fit for me, and the barrel is quite short. Looks like I’d lose around 150fps with most hunting loads. Not as big a deal as the stock length and awkward proportions once fitted to me.

So, for overall fit and the intangibles, the Winchester is ahead at the moment.

Anyone hunt with a .308? A very good friend here (extremely capable hunter) hunts most everything with his (including elk) and has pretty much abandoned his other rifles for mule deer and elk.

How do you like the round?

Like any gun nut, I’ve read and know most of the comparative data regarding cartridges. Looking for personal opinions. I know you guys actually hunt! In a lot of ways, this thread is more reliable than a lot of gun forums. So, thoughts such as, “I have x, y and z but I always (or never) seem to grab the .308.”

Might be an interesting conversation.
I know I’ll find it useful.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:33 pm

I never had a 308. I have used 243, 260, 7mm-08 and 30-06. I wouldn’t hesitate using a 308 and it’s long barrel life. Especially if long term heirloom gun is the goal. Modern bullets and loadings are making the 308 case derivatives even better without the downsides to magnums. To me, the more important question is the gun. So many good ones. An older Remington 700 Mountain Rifle or Model 7 would also be on my list of considerations if used was acceptable.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:02 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:33 pm
An older Remington 700 Mountain Rifle or Model 7 would also be on my list of considerations if used was acceptable.
They are more than acceptable.

And I'd forgotten about the Remington lightweights. Great guns. Thanks for the reminder, Thunk.
I'll likely be popping into my favorite gun shops a bit over break.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:05 pm

Every big game animal I have taken has been with the .308 Winchester in a Winchester Model 88 Rifle. I have a .270 and a .338 Win Mag but the .308 is the only rifle I have taken game with. Mule deer, elk and a wild hog. I reload for the .308 and I like the 165 grain Sierra bullet. But there are a lot of choices in factory ammo too. The .308 is also the caliber that my son hunts with and while we haven't taken dozens of animals...the several that we have taken have been taken with the .308 and with no issues...I have never felt under gunned. I have a good friend that hunts with his dad's 30-06 and his rifle won't do anything that mine won't do.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:03 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:05 pm
Every big game animal I have taken has been with the .308 Winchester in a Winchester Model 88 Rifle. I have a .270 and a .338 Win Mag but the .308 is the only rifle I have taken game with. Mule deer, elk and a wild hog. I reload for the .308 and I like the 165 grain Sierra bullet. But there are a lot of choices in factory ammo too. The .308 is also the caliber that my son hunts with and while we haven't taken dozens of animals...the several that we have taken have been taken with the .308 and with no issues...I have never felt under gunned. I have a good friend that hunts with his dad's 30-06 and his rifle won't do anything that mine won't do.
Thanks for that, BH.
That was my impression - but no firsthand experience.

I kept my shotshell reloader, but gave all my metallic cartridge reloading gear to my son when he bought a .375 Ruger for a trip north a few years back. Buying factory loaded ammo for that rifle to practice with would have cost a fortune.

He brought it down from Portland (two summers ago if I remember correctly), and I proceeded to ram the eyepiece into my shooting glasses on my first shot! I gave him a 1.5-4X scope for it for Christmas the year he got it, and I included a soft-scope rubber eyecup, but the gun fits him differently than it does me and he’d never needed it.

There are lots of factory .308 loads available now with good Barnes and Nosler bullets as well as the Sierra. And, of course, Hornady is selling some good factory rounds, too.

I figured my son needed the reloading equipment more than I did; that, and he’s actually getting out these days.

The 88 is on my list of guns I’d love to own.

Unkinjoe
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Unkinjoe » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:14 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:28 pm
Thunktank wrote:

I’m window shopping some light .308s I’m familiar with (never thought a great deal about rifle weight in the past):

Ruger Hawkeye Compact
Winchester Featherweight

take a look at these
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/

Anyone hunt with a .308? A very good friend here (extremely capable hunter) hunts most everything with his (including elk) and has pretty much abandoned his other rifles for mule deer and elk.
I love the 308 most versatile round for hand loaders that I know.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Unkinjoe wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:14 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Ruger Hawkeye Compact
Winchester Featherweight

take a look at these

I appreciate the post, Unkinjoe.

The rifle was new to me so I took a peek at some write ups.
I like the 88 style box magazine (instead of tube) so you can use spitzers, and the free floated barrel (unusual on a lever gun).

American Rifleman’s review found it a sub MOA rifle with several factory loads in .243, a bit over MOA in .308.
Impressive.

An interesting design for sure.
I had no idea it even existed!

Might be a little heavier than what I’m looking for (if I do choose to get a .308),but definitely glad you posted about it.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:59 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
This is the last mulie and the two 88s one in .308 and the other is a .243

Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:29 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:59 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
This is the last mulie and the two 88s one in .308 and the other is a .243

Super nice, BH.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:38 am

Really cool rifles Bloodhound.

I have gotten my hands on a Henry Long Ranger at the gun shop before. I find that it’s weighted nicely for shooting, especially off hand. Maybe not ideal for a mountain gun though. Subjective of course. The Henry Company is great and their rifles often sport wood on their stocks that would be right at home on a gun costing much more. Several friends of mine have been buying them lately too, the Big Boys and such in 44 Magnum and 45-70. They seem to really like them and continue to shoot them.

Unkinjoe
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Unkinjoe » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:19 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:39 pm
Unkinjoe wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:14 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Ruger Hawkeye Compact
Winchester Featherweight

take a look at these

I appreciate the post, Unkinjoe.
A work friend mentioned the other day that it may have to be his next gun, before that I hadn't seen or heard of one either.

The rifle was new to me so I took a peek at some write ups.
I like the 88 style box magazine (instead of tube) so you can use spitzers, and the free floated barrel (unusual on a lever gun).

American Rifleman’s review found it a sub MOA rifle with several factory loads in .243, a bit over MOA in .308.
Impressive.

An interesting design for sure.
I had no idea it even existed!

Might be a little heavier than what I’m looking for (if I do choose to get a .308),but definitely glad you posted about it.