GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Jocose » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:41 pm

I love this place.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:53 am

A friend of mine sent me this pic this morning, with the words "the ole girl blew upon me yesterday".

Its a W Richards, made in 1919. Barrels were proofed in '09. He was shooting 2.5" low pressure RSTs, and it was his first shot from that barrel for the day. No obstruction. His being left handed probably saved him from injury; but even then, he says was scared to remove his glove for 10 minutes. He didn't get even a scratch. I told him he's blessed.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:08 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:53 am
A friend of mine sent me this pic this morning, with the words "the ole girl blew upon me yesterday".

Its a W Richards, made in 1919. Barrels were proofed in '09. He was shooting 2.5" low pressure RSTs, and it was his first shot from that barrel for the day. No obstruction. His being left handed probably saved him from injury; but even then, he says was scared to remove his glove for 10 minutes. He didn't get even a scratch. I told him he's blessed.
He should have bought a lottery ticket.

Can’t believe he isn’t one handed.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:10 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:08 pm
sweetandsour wrote:

He should have bought a lottery ticket.

Can’t believe he isn’t one handed.
Wow! He got lucky.

Now I’m scared to shoot my old Remington Model 31. I should probably get it checked out.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:38 pm

sweetandsour wrote:

This just motivated me to sell my circa 1915 Fox Sterlingworth marked for 2-3/5 shells. 8O
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:56 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:38 pm
sweetandsour wrote:

This just motivated me to sell my circa 1915 Fox Sterlingworth marked for 2-3/5 shells. 8O
The more I look at this, the more I suspect something inadvertently got in there and caused an obstruction. I’m not claiming that anyone did anything wrong, and it’s very likely that I am wrong. I still suspect that though.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:28 am

Thunktank wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:56 pm
Hovannes wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:

The more I look at this, the more I suspect something inadvertently got in there and caused an obstruction. I’m not claiming that anyone did anything wrong, and it’s very likely that I am wrong. I still suspect that though.
Same thought. Or somebody is a hand loader. That barrel would have been flawed right there for 100 years.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:39 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:28 am
Thunktank wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:

Same thought. Or somebody is a hand loader. That barrel would have been flawed right there for 100 years.
Regardless, I have decided to get my old Model 31 checked by my gunsmith. It’s good to get reminders like this. I hand load for that gun using low pressure loads, I individually weigh every charge. But they don’t make new ones like that. A hand made and hand fitted 6.2 LB pump action 16 gauge that is far and away smoother than anything made today, but it’s old (1930s) and showing some age. I really need to get it checked. Still, there are so many century guns in use out there that are perfectly safe to use too. I have plans to buy some old doubles when my kids get through college Lord willing.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:13 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:39 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:

Regardless, I have decided to get my old Model 31 checked by my gunsmith. It’s good to get reminders like this. I hand load for that gun using low pressure loads, I individually weigh every charge. But they don’t make new ones like that. A hand made and hand fitted 6.2 LB pump action 16 gauge that is far and away smoother than anything made today, but it’s old (1930s) and showing some age. I really need to get it checked. Still, there are so many century guns in use out there that are perfectly safe to use too. I have plans to buy some old doubles when my kids get through college Lord willing.
Yeah, I just made a mental note to get my 1923 Model 12 proofed as well. You and me both on the double gun front. Definite insh’allah for me, though. Making it to their graduations is a goal right now.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:30 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:13 pm
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:

Yeah, I just made a mental note to get my 1923 Model 12 proofed as well. You and me both on the double gun front. Definite insh’allah for me, though. Making it to their graduations is a goal right now.
I acquired my Sterlingworth when I was collecting and it's old, with problems (small dent in one barrel, short chambers presumably rechambered for conventional 2-3/4" ers I was told, and a modified stock that doesn't fit me. It filled it's role as a specimen in a collection but I'm no longer a collector so it's time to pass this one along, but dang, I love the Fox SxS---a brilliant design.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:14 pm

sweetandsour wrote:

Frightening.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Hovannes

Re:

Post by Hovannes » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:54 pm

dasmokeryaget wrote:
Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:25 pm
IM movin to GA.
I spent the longest year of my life doing two months in Ft Gordon.

Unkinjoe
Congregation
Congregation

Re: Re:

Post by Unkinjoe » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:55 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:54 pm
dasmokeryaget wrote:
Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:25 pm
IM movin to GA.
I spent the longest year of my life doing two months in Ft Gordon.
ha I spent a year doing two months in the burn center in Augusta just down the street from Gordon!

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:20 pm

Went pistol shooting with a good fellow today, a long-term acquaintance from the realm of shotgun shooting. This isnt something I do very often, unfortunately (I really don't like the handgun culture here in PA--thunktank could tell you why)--and my scores showed it. My buddy had a lever action .38 that was just a load of fun, too.

Anyway, when the hell did ammo get so expensive? I bought a box of hydroshok .45s for 21.34 at WalMart on the way home. Holy shiz.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:33 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:20 pm
Went pistol shooting with a good fellow today, a long-term acquaintance from the realm of shotgun shooting. This isnt something I do very often, unfortunately (I really don't like the handgun culture here in PA--thunktank could tell you why)--and my scores showed it. My buddy had a lever action .38 that was just a load of fun, too.

Anyway, when the hell did ammo get so expensive? I bought a box of hydroshok .45s for 21.34 at WalMart on the way home. Holy shiz.
I know what you mean, Hugo. And the only thing more fun to shoot than a lever action .38 is a one shooting 45 colt!

Speaking of PA, it’s the flintlock deer season now. It got me thinking, I used to love to do that during the holiday break after Christmas. So strong the memories are that I dug out my old Lyman 50 Caliber Flintlock from the back of the safe yesterday. I may need to order a new barrel for it in order to get it to shoot well again. I’m entertaining the idea of going home next year with my sons to do it. Can’t take them out of school long enough any other time to hunt whitetails back home, yet it’s something I want to share with them. I have two farms loaded with deer to hunt on. I should. Even considering the idea of finishing a couple of muzzleloaders from kits with them.

My hunting season was a total bust here this season. Texas cost me my deer season.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:22 pm

I just pulled down fifty Winchester Super Speed .410 shells.
The shot should be nearly pure lead so I can melt it down for use in my cap & ball.

I've got several more boxes of .410 to pull down, but it's time consuming.
The 1858 will be well fed!
correction: I just pulled down an additional 75 rounds of the stuff.

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:58 pm

I took the conceal carry class today. I let my license lap when we moved.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:40 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:13 pm
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:

The standard 12 gauge shell in the first decades of the century was 2-5/8" long because shells came roll crimps, so there weren't the blown out star crimps to restrict the shot as it left the chamber.

BTW, I'm having a difficult time letting go of that 104 year old AH Fox!

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:50 pm

I pulled down the last 75 shells this morning. Now I need to find a place to dispose of the primed hulls.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:58 am

An interesting rifle range in Switzerland
https://youtu.be/r5capbhKlVA