GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names
Posts: 2337
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by joegoat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:59 am

This is the Starr revolver carried by my ancestor in the American Civil War. We have a copy of a newspaper interview he gave after the war, but if he kept a journal we have not found it. He recalled joining in 1862 and being deployed in an artillery unit for the first part of the war. The only government records l can find place him in the 55th PA infantry company D toward the end of the war.
Infantrymen typically found sidearms to be cumbersome and we're often regretted purchases. This Starr has a federal inspector cartouche, so it was purchased by the federal government and issued to cavalry, more than likely. I would imagine that this gun was found on a battlefield. In his interview he talks about his pants being lost at the battle of Petersburg and taking a pair from a dead boy so it wouldn't be the only thing he picked up during his time in service.
This is Starr's double action model, a new technology at that time. They also made a single action model which was more durable and favoured by men who used them. The frame exhibits another new idea at the time that would become common when metallic cartridges took hold. It is a top break for cleaning.
I'm searching high and low for one of Pietta's repros of these. They discontinued them several years ago and I have yet to find a used one.
ImageImage

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Posts: 23150
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by JimVH » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:04 am

joegoat wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:59 am
This is the Starr revolver carried by my ancestor in the American Civil War. We have a copy of a newspaper interview he gave after the war, but if he kept a journal we have not found it. He recalled joining in 1862 and being deployed in an artillery unit for the first part of the war. The only government records l can find place him in the 55th PA infantry company D toward the end of the war.
Infantrymen typically found sidearms to be cumbersome and we're often regretted purchases. This Starr has a federal inspector cartouche, so it was purchased by the federal government and issued to cavalry, more than likely. I would imagine that this gun was found on a battlefield. In his interview he talks about his pants being lost at the battle of Petersburg and taking a pair from a dead boy so it wouldn't be the only thing he picked up during his time in service.
This is Starr's double action model, a new technology at that time. They also made a single action model which was more durable and favoured by men who used them. The frame exhibits another new idea at the time that would become common when metallic cartridges took hold. It is a top break for cleaning.
I'm searching high and low for one of Pietta's repros of these. They discontinued them several years ago and I have yet to find a used one.
ImageImage

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
Great post.

User avatar
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names
Posts: 2337
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by joegoat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:15 am

JimVH wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:59 am
This is the Starr revolver carried by my ancestor in the American Civil War. We have a copy of a newspaper interview he gave after the war, but if he kept a journal we have not found it. He recalled joining in 1862 and being deployed in an artillery unit for the first part of the war. The only government records l can find place him in the 55th PA infantry company D toward the end of the war.
Infantrymen typically found sidearms to be cumbersome and we're often regretted purchases. This Starr has a federal inspector cartouche, so it was purchased by the federal government and issued to cavalry, more than likely. I would imagine that this gun was found on a battlefield. In his interview he talks about his pants being lost at the battle of Petersburg and taking a pair from a dead boy so it wouldn't be the only thing he picked up during his time in service.
This is Starr's double action model, a new technology at that time. They also made a single action model which was more durable and favoured by men who used them. The frame exhibits another new idea at the time that would become common when metallic cartridges took hold. It is a top break for cleaning.
I'm searching high and low for one of Pietta's repros of these. They discontinued them several years ago and I have yet to find a used one.
ImageImage

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
Great post.
Thanks!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 24925
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:32 am

joegoat wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:15 am
JimVH wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:59 am
This is the Starr revolver carried by my ancestor in the American Civil War. We have a copy of a newspaper interview he gave after the war, but if he kept a journal we have not found it. He recalled joining in 1862 and being deployed in an artillery unit for the first part of the war. The only government records l can find place him in the 55th PA infantry company D toward the end of the war.
Infantrymen typically found sidearms to be cumbersome and we're often regretted purchases. This Starr has a federal inspector cartouche, so it was purchased by the federal government and issued to cavalry, more than likely. I would imagine that this gun was found on a battlefield. In his interview he talks about his pants being lost at the battle of Petersburg and taking a pair from a dead boy so it wouldn't be the only thing he picked up during his time in service.
This is Starr's double action model, a new technology at that time. They also made a single action model which was more durable and favoured by men who used them. The frame exhibits another new idea at the time that would become common when metallic cartridges took hold. It is a top break for cleaning.
I'm searching high and low for one of Pietta's repros of these. They discontinued them several years ago and I have yet to find a used one.
ImageImage

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
Great post.
Thanks!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
Thats very, very cool!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21834
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Jocose » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:38 am

Only the police and military should have guns.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Image

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 8689
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:07 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:27 pm
He's nuts.
You are not the first person to recognize and report this... :lol:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 22237
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Thunktank » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:25 am

Really cool backstory on the Starr, Joegoat. I’ve long been curious about those. 8)

It looks to be in pretty nice condition for the age too.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

User avatar
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names
Posts: 2337
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by joegoat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Thunktank wrote:Really cool backstory on the Starr, Joegoat. I’ve long been curious about those. 8)

It looks to be in pretty nice condition for the age too.
It definitely has some patina.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6804
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 17, 2019 3:20 pm

Here's the shotgun I've been working on the past few days:

Image

It's a very early Citori Skeet (medium high rib and mid-bead).
It was originally a factory Browning with a plain stock and it was bored Skeet and Skeet - the barrel lugs are so marked.

Around 30 years ago it got a custom stock and Briley gunsmithing that included screw-in choke tubes, backboring and a lengthened forcing cone. It may have had trigger work done but I'm not sure about that.

Many years ago I was fishing with a client who was a competitive shotgunner and bird hunter. We got to talking about shotgunning and bird hunting and he asked me what guns I shot. At the time I had one - a 12ga. Wingmaster pump. He jokingly said, "I can't have my guide shooting a pump (not that I thought there was anything wrong with that. I loved my 870)."

The next time he came to town, he took me and my wife out to dinner.
After dinner he gave me this gun.

I've been shooting it for 27 years, if I remember correctly, and I have no idea how long he had it before he gave it to me. That's where the "around 30 years old" comes from.

It has a 14 15/16" LOP!
And a palm swell.

It fits me like a glove.
I've fitted all of my other shotguns with recoil pads to get the same LOP.

Can't do much about the palm swell on my other guns, but I wish they had one. I don't shoot any of my other guns as well as I shoot this one.

The gun was getting beaten up and I've been meaning to refinish it.
I got to it this week.
Last edited by durangopipe on Fri May 17, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21834
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Jocose » Fri May 17, 2019 3:21 pm

Nice!
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Image

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 24925
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Fri May 17, 2019 4:06 pm

That's sure a beautiful Citori!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Posts: 18604
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by hugodrax » Fri May 17, 2019 6:25 pm

It is gorgeous. Want to give a fellow Citori owner some tips on how to do what you did?
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6804
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 17, 2019 6:54 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:25 pm
It is gorgeous. Want to give a fellow Citori owner some tips on how to do what you did?
Well, I’m not sure our stocks were originally finished the same way. My stock was made by a custom stockmaker. But it had a shiny polyurethane finish over that gorgeous wood, which is probably what they put on factory Citori stocks.

I took the gun apart. Sanded off the polyurethane down to bare wood. The varnish had worn through where my hands hold it. The finish had become dulled, and the wood there had darkened. I took the finish off with 220 grit sandpaper, then smoothed the wood with 400 grit. Sanding around the checkering takes a bit of care, but mostly it’s just elbow grease.

I wiped on (with a cotton rag) then buffed off ten minutes later (with a clean rag) two coats of Minwax Antique oil finish. Then let it sit overnight. The Antique Oil goes into the wood and dries very quickly. The next morning I put on a final coat the same way.

Later, I buffed the stock one more time with another clean rag and reassembled the shotgun.

The oil finish has a lovely, soft luster and although it is not colored it deepens the colors and grain contrast of the wood.

It takes several days to fully cure.
It’s back in the safe now.

I shoot again Monday.
I’ll take the gun out sometime Sunday and buff it out with a clean rag one more time.

As it is already, it looks like the oil finish on high end guns.
I’m very pleased with how it turned out.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6804
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 17, 2019 7:44 pm

Here are some additional photos:

Image

Image

I'd say take a look at your wood, hugo.
If the grain looks interesting an oil finish will bring it out.
Last edited by durangopipe on Fri May 17, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Posts: 18604
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by hugodrax » Fri May 17, 2019 8:25 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:44 pm
Here are a some additional photos:

Image

Image

I'd say take a look at your wood, hugo.
If the grain looks interesting and oil finish will bring it out.
I like to hear that. I have top grade wood under, as you say, a high gloss polyurethane fugliness. I'll give it a shot, maybe.

Inspirational.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 8689
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Bloodhound » Fri May 17, 2019 8:44 pm

DP That is a beauty!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Stanley76 » Sat May 18, 2019 6:40 am

My first issued sidearm in 1976 was a S&W Model 10 4". A few years later I was issued an old Colt Army 4" and in 1985 a S&W Model 67. The issued ammunition for all them was 110 Gr SJHP. In 1989 I inherited a Colt Python from my Brother-In-Law and carried that until 1991 when the dept. went to Glocks. Carried a G17 until 1999 when we converted to .45 and then it was a G21 until I retired. That was my retirement gun and I carried it for my post retirement job as a deputy sheriff. I hung it up when I went full retirement in 2012 and for a few years I rarely carried a gun. When I did I carried the Python because I'm a giant and it wasn't too big for me to conceal.

Since then the crime rate has convinced me to carry regularly again as a civilian. A buddy of mine who in the the past was always a revolver guy convinced me to go back to Glocks. He was and is still working as a deputy who years ago switched to semi-auto (Colt 1911's) due to ease of reloading but now he carries a Glock.

I held out for the Python for a while but not shooting as regularly, I realized that I didn't have the muscle memory to reload with speed loaders without taking my eyes off the threat. Now days quality 9mm ammo performs almost as well as .357 mag. My buddy carries a G17 on duty mainly because he can carry 52 rounds of ammunition on his person when working and reload quicker and without taking his eyes off the threat. LEO's today are likely to face threats from multiple assailants. He's a deputy sheriff, a gunsmith and a competition shooter so I listened to him.

In 2015 I bought a Glock 17 (fitted with a streamlight) for home protection, a G19 and a G26 for concealment. I carry almost everywhere now and I carry at least 1 spare G17 mag in my pocket. I can use the G17 mag in all three of those guns. But recently I sold him my G26 and bought a G43X. It's a single stack, thinner than the G26 and the grip is longer than the 26 so it fits my hand better. I can't use the G17 mags as spares though so 90 percent of the time I still carry my G19.

For concealment I usually use a Galco superslide or a Crossbreed IWB holster. Once the Crossbreed leather molds to your body it so comfortable it is almost unnoticeable, holds the gun very close to the body and you can tuck your shirttail in over it.

I also have a S&W M28, a few single action revolvers (two Vaqueros in .45 Colt) a Ruger Single Six and a Lipsey Ruger .44 Special. They usually stay in the gun safe with my long guns. I won't list all of those but my favorites are a Browning High Wall 45/70 and Marlin (J stamped) in 45/70 and a Browning Safari in .375 H&H Mag (in case I run across an escaped circus elephant or a dinosaur.) My favorite shotgun is a High Standard Pump that my Dad gave me back in 1980 and I have a Fausti O/U that is the only firearm I own that I have never fired.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 24925
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Sat May 18, 2019 7:59 am

Since CA adopted a slew of bizarre legislation regarding ammunition, I've found all my old hunting guns have become obsolete (shotguns w/o chrome lined barrels for steel shot, rifles with the wrong twist for stabilizing lw copper bullets sort of issues)
I have one shotgun, a Basque Lanber o/u that was built to handle steel, and a grand old Beretta MKII for Trap, a game which still permits lead shot at most ranges here in CA.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
mont974x4
Tim
Tim
Posts: 8695
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Montana

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by mont974x4 » Sat May 18, 2019 10:57 am

Replica 1911’s being presented as awards for transferring military personnel. ImageImage

I’m just finishing them up this morning.


Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 24925
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Sat May 18, 2019 12:22 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:57 am
Replica 1911’s being presented as awards for transferring military personnel. ImageImage

I’m just finishing them up this morning.


Hello FredS
Do they come with a sign "Break glass in case of rear echelon attack?"
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Post Reply