GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:55 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:18 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:40 pm
When I took charge of the Arms room I inquired about how I ended up with so many yellow tagged M-16s and why they were still in the Arms room.
Most all of our functional M-16s were given the South Vietnamese Army six years previous. The yellow tags we had were so worn out they had exceeded their serviceable life and apparently the depot had more pressing things to do than destroy junked M-16 so my arms room could be squared away.
IIRC this was when Beretta's were first accepted. Since I was in a reserve unit we still had the 1911 and since the contract for .45 ammo ended we were issued ammo made by Israeli Military Industries---very hot stuff indeed! It probably didn't contribute to the longevity of our old pistols which was probably the reason only the CO qualified.
When our outfit fired for qualification with M-16s we had to borrow another units M-16s, LOL!
What branch’s armory were you in?

Guns do wear out. Every Marine is issued a rifle and it must be operational, clean and capable of reliability and accuracy. We shot the heck out of our rifle one or two weeks a year normally, garrison side. Maybe the Army National Guard has trouble with upkeep, I don’t know.
Army Reserve, Our Center had a Signal Company and a Transportation Company. Across town there was a Station Hospital, and all their M-16s were functional :lol:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:07 pm

joegoat wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:59 pm
I get it. An 18 to 20 something year old isn't going to be easy on anything they are issued, but you would think the military would budget enough to maintain their small arms.
I have no idea what the contract holders charge the government for a brand new M16, but I do know that military contracts are coveted because they ate extremely lucrative. If only government agencies would spend a little more time negotiating contracts so they can afford to have some operable guns in the armories.
The one reason I hoped to see Glock win the handgun contract was because they have so few parts that can wear out. The Sig is full of teeny tiny pieces and springs that will need to be replaced eventually. The Glock has nothing more than what it takes to load, fire, and eject.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
One of the factors that went into US Customs and Border Protection recently awarding Glock the contract for pistols...

CBP Awards Contract for Duty Handguns

Shhh...Glock just released a new Glock without really saying anything (G47)
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:38 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:59 pm
I get it. An 18 to 20 something year old isn't going to be easy on anything they are issued, but you would think the military would budget enough to maintain their small arms.
I have no idea what the contract holders charge the government for a brand new M16, but I do know that military contracts are coveted because they ate extremely lucrative. If only government agencies would spend a little more time negotiating contracts so they can afford to have some operable guns in the armories.
The one reason I hoped to see Glock win the handgun contract was because they have so few parts that can wear out. The Sig is full of teeny tiny pieces and springs that will need to be replaced eventually. The Glock has nothing more than what it takes to load, fire, and eject.

One of the factors that went into US Customs and Border Protection recently awarding Glock the contract for pistols...

CBP Awards Contract for Duty Handguns

Shhh...Glock just released a new Glock without really saying anything (G47)
They also have the rotating barrel model in the works for one of the European police forces.

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis