Brief Thoughts on Three VaPers

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Brief Thoughts on Three VaPers

Post by DAN » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:41 pm

I like VaPers, as do many others. There are about a bajillion of them, of course.

For some reason, it popped into my head to say a little something about three of them. Maybe someone out there's wondering.

C & D Bayou Morning: darn tasty, but packs a real nicotine wallop. I don't ordinarily smoke so much that nicotine is a real concern of mine, but this stuff gets your attention. I gave a few pipefuls to a friend, and he felt so woozy that he accused me of slipping him something illegal.

Hearth and Home's Anniversary Kake: Also very tasty, not nearly the nicotine kick of Bayou Morning. Don't think I got quite as much out of the virginias as I do with...

4Noggins' Prairie Wind: This stuff is good, darn good. No noticeable nicotine jolt, at least to me. Perique is a definite presence without going beyond condimental levels. The virginias strike me as being just a hair on the fruity side. Burns well. Smoked it for about an hour tonight, whilst reading Augustine. Hardly had to pay it any attention at all, once it got going. Very satisfying. Of the three, this is the one I'd most likely buy by the pound. May do that sometime soon. After I order a pound each of Old Dark Fired and McCelland 2025.

So there you have it, for what it's worth.
If the American people ever really understand the Left, they'll boil them in oil.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Re: Brief Thoughts on Three VaPers

Post by Rusty » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:21 am

Hmmm... you may be a Perique-sensitive. They're soft and cuddly types that wilt under perfectly acceptable amounts of Perique. It's not your fault.
I think Bayou morning is a great blend (is yours the flake or the ribbon cut?) but perty much dead on medium strength. It's a good all-day tobacco so not a nicotine wonder. Of course this is from a Perique-Freak and I suspect that Runowski, who created the blend, was also a Perique-Freak. He may have been the Perique-Godfather and seemed to believe that 25% is a perfectly good proportion for Perique. Who am I to blow against his mighty wind?

Have you tried OJK, Haddos or any of the other notorious Perique-Freak standard bearers?

There are other sensitives here, so you're not alone... Del, TNLP, Gabe too etc. Interestingly many have strong constitutions for strong tobaccos eg 1792, Irish Flake, Twists etc but Perique bothers them and they perceive the blend as strong.

How does one discover that one is a Perique-Freak? No amount of Perique seems to be too much and they keep a jar of the benevolent weed nearby to supplement Perique-deficient stuff, like cereal.

The other two tobaccos you mentioned I haven't enjoyed as far as I know.

That McCl #2025 is good. Do enjoy. That one really does well in the cellar too. Have you tried #2020?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:40 pm

Rusty wrote:Hmmm... you may be a Perique-sensitive. They're soft and cuddly types that wilt under perfectly acceptable amounts of Perique. It's not your fault.
I think Bayou morning is a great blend (is yours the flake or the ribbon cut?) but perty much dead on medium strength. It's a good all-day tobacco so not a nicotine wonder. Of course this is from a Perique-Freak and I suspect that Runowski, who created the blend, was also a Perique-Freak. He may have been the Perique-Godfather and seemed to believe that 25% is a perfectly good proportion for Perique. Who am I to blow against his mighty wind?

Have you tried OJK, Haddos or any of the other notorious Perique-Freak standard bearers?

There are other sensitives here, so you're not alone... Del, TNLP, Gabe too etc. Interestingly many have strong constitutions for strong tobaccos eg 1792, Irish Flake, Twists etc but Perique bothers them and they perceive the blend as strong.

How does one discover that one is a Perique-Freak? No amount of Perique seems to be too much and they keep a jar of the benevolent weed nearby to supplement Perique-deficient stuff, like cereal.

The other two tobaccos you mentioned I haven't enjoyed as far as I know.

That McCl #2025 is good. Do enjoy. That one really does well in the cellar too. Have you tried #2020?
I suppose it's just possible that maybe I didn't give the Bayou Morning enough of a chance. I do remember that when I first tried it, I noticed a substantial nicotine wallop. Didn't make me woozy, like it did my buddy, but it was noticeable. I smoked the rest of the ounce in small quantities, whilst doing my morning Bible reading, 'til it was all used up.

As it was relatively early in my return to pipe smoking, it is possible that I may not have acclimated to nicotine sufficiently at the time. I might try it again some time; I might not. I think I'd be more likely to order more Prairie Wind. It's very much to my taste.

I do know that since I last tried Bayou Morning, I've found that I enjoy PIF and ODF, both of which, I'm told, are heavy on the nicotine. I must not have had OJK, as the initials aren't ringing a bell, nor have I had Haddo's Delight.

I have an ounce of the McClelland 2020 on hand and will be trying it soon.

Soft and cuddly, eh? Hmph.

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:42 pm

OJK = C&D Old Joe Krantz

parson
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by parson » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:10 am

I second a recommendation of Haddo's. I notice more nic in HD, but it's never given me any problems. You might also enjoy SG St. James Flake.

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:33 pm

I may try the Haddo's eventually; the St. James Flake looks intriguing, and I may eventually try some. I must say that I was so disappointed in FVF, though, that it's not on my list of priorities. I felt strongly like McClelland 2010 was a better straight virginia and I can't help but wonder if I wouldn't likewise prefer 2015 (I am definitely partial to the 2015) to the St. James. Still, I'll probably get 'round to it eventually.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:27 pm

DAN wrote:I may try the Haddo's eventually; the St. James Flake looks intriguing, and I may eventually try some. I must say that I was so disappointed in FVF, though, that it's not on my list of priorities. I felt strongly like McClelland 2010 was a better straight virginia and I can't help but wonder if I wouldn't likewise prefer 2015 (I am definitely partial to the 2015) to the St. James. Still, I'll probably get 'round to it eventually.
Gee, you sound like me on this score, Do yourself a favour and include McClelland #5115 & #5100 in your list along with #2010, #2015, & #2025. If you like dark Virginias #2035 is also good and you can supplement the others with a little #2035 to get more variety out of them. McCl #2020 is also good though not a straight Virginia; but worthwhile if you like your Va's with a tiny bit of Latakia and Oriental in a flake! Very nice stuff. It's tough to beat the wide flavour spectrum of American Virginias. You should also try some more C&D's. C&D makes great tobaccos that really age spectacularly in the cellar. I too found FVF to be lacking esp. compared to the hype. It's boring stuff. I think Gawith Hoggarth is the better of the two Gawiths and their Brown Flake is preferable to SG's FVF.

Haddo's and OJK are both excellent but they both have a lot of Perique so find out if you do have sensitivity to Perique before investing. Some of C&D's other Burley mixes are quite enjoyable too. Worth exploring because they are good value for the money.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:40 pm

So many tobaccos left to try! One of the things I love about this hobby. I have enjoyed the Haunted Bookshop I bought recently, and I've a pound of Red Odessa sitting on my shelves. I will eventually gey 'round to more C & D blends. It does seem to me that they are partial to broad ribbon cuts that do well in wider bowls.

I'll probably try the 2020 this weekend. It certainly looks good.

What do you think of Gawith, Hoggarth's bulk VaPer flake?
If the American people ever really understand the Left, they'll boil them in oil.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:08 pm

DAN wrote:So many tobaccos left to try! One of the things I love about this hobby. I have enjoyed the Haunted Bookshop I bought recently, and I've a pound of Red Odessa sitting on my shelves. I will eventually gey 'round to more C & D blends. It does seem to me that they are partial to broad ribbon cuts that do well in wider bowls.

I'll probably try the 2020 this weekend. It certainly looks good.

What do you think of Gawith, Hoggarth's bulk VaPer flake?
GH Louisiana Flake? It's good esp. after a little aging. I found it bites when new which is unusual with GH. But it really calmed down with less than a year in the cellar and was a very good though not a heavy Perique Va/Per. Va/Per are actually not native blends to Lake District style tobaccos. So yes, it's worthwhile but it's not quite a star compared to others in their line. They also have a number of spectacular other flakes. Very diff. than McClelland, very lake District in style but excellent stuff.
Rum Flake - more Burley than Virginia, very rich flavour, and with cellar age, turns into something reminiscent of a Dutch Burley, like a pastry. Quite unique.
#7 Broken Flake - This is a nice Virginia with some very good topping incl. credible vanilla. This should be a flagship blend. Superb stuff.
Best Brown #2 - delicious stuff. Not to be missed.
Scotch Flake - Mild Virginia flake with the most credible discretely applied milk choc. topping. not heavily flavoured. Watch this stuff though. Excellent but woman will follow you around for the scent. It really may get you killed.
Brown Flake - Virginia with some Burley which is quite noticeable. Much more interesting than FVF.
Plus they have some good but not spectacular tobaccos eg Bright CR flake, and a bunch of same with some toppings eg Glengarry flake.
All of these are very smooth but not at all boring. Not over the top in flavouring either.
Ennerdale Flake and Bosun Cut Plug are great flakes too but quite heavily flavoured. This is the real thing with lake District tobaccos.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Good thread. Good reading. Sad to reflect on now though; the people, and the tobacco's as well.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)