Christmas music

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Re: Christmas music

Post by gravel » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:02 pm

https://youtu.be/r-Nf_5hnml0

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:32 am

Skip wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:21 pm
Hovannes wrote:Mary did you know Not a fan. Nope. It's right down there with Do They Know It's Christmas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifCWN5pJGIE
I'm kind of surprised nobody posted this over the course of the last month. I know it's a bit late, but I got distracted and forgot about it. I found it to be an interesting take on a song that people love to hate.

Yes, Mary Knew
Lyrically, the song rests upon the question “Mary, did you know?” and reflects on Christ’s earthly ministry and cosmic reign. Musically, it is simple, a lullaby. The sweet sadness of the melody has squeezed tears from the eyes of many an unsuspecting listener—including my own.

But not all Christians have been pleased with this Nativity tune. As the song resurfaces each Christmastide, so do the enthusiastic complaints regarding its sappiness and its condescension toward Mary.
If listeners can get beyond artistic interpretation to focus on the words of the song, however, the lyrics—though simple and at moments affected—are profoundly scriptural. “Mary, Did You Know?” actually traces the character of Christ from the messianic prophecies of the Hebrew Bible (“save our sons and daughters” from Isaiah 43:6), to Jesus’ earthly ministry (healing the blind, walking on water, etc.), and finally Christ’s cosmic reign (as heaven’s perfect Lamb, rule the nations, the Great I Am, etc.). In all, it’s a fitting summation of the role of Christ.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:19 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:32 am
Skip wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:21 pm
Hovannes wrote:Mary did you know Not a fan. Nope. It's right down there with Do They Know It's Christmas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifCWN5pJGIE
I'm kind of surprised nobody posted this over the course of the last month. I know it's a bit late, but I got distracted and forgot about it. I found it to be an interesting take on a song that people love to hate.

Yes, Mary Knew
Lyrically, the song rests upon the question “Mary, did you know?” and reflects on Christ’s earthly ministry and cosmic reign. Musically, it is simple, a lullaby. The sweet sadness of the melody has squeezed tears from the eyes of many an unsuspecting listener—including my own.

But not all Christians have been pleased with this Nativity tune. As the song resurfaces each Christmastide, so do the enthusiastic complaints regarding its sappiness and its condescension toward Mary.
If listeners can get beyond artistic interpretation to focus on the words of the song, however, the lyrics—though simple and at moments affected—are profoundly scriptural. “Mary, Did You Know?” actually traces the character of Christ from the messianic prophecies of the Hebrew Bible (“save our sons and daughters” from Isaiah 43:6), to Jesus’ earthly ministry (healing the blind, walking on water, etc.), and finally Christ’s cosmic reign (as heaven’s perfect Lamb, rule the nations, the Great I Am, etc.). In all, it’s a fitting summation of the role of Christ.
Well, I'm glad that's finally settled.