The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Thu May 17, 2018 12:40 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:53 am
We feel your pain.
Yup.
Not terribly dissimilar to the drought map during the dust bowl.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu May 17, 2018 1:35 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:40 pm
UncleBob wrote:
We feel your pain.
Yup.
Humans Are Changing the Location of Water Around the World, NASA Says
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu May 17, 2018 1:50 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:35 pm
durangopipe wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
We feel your pain.
Yup.
Uh oh. Where's that guy who points to the TOS whenever anyone posts something that may or may not be political in nature or may or may not lead another party to express what might or might not be considered a political opinion or view by a third party? You and I could probably afford our kale and granny smith apples if they didn't come from irrigated fields and orchards but a good portion of our fellow citizens couldn't. I'm as much a conservationist as most Americans, and I'm certainly dissatisfied with all the food we waste instead of sharing with those around the world who are hungry, but I think the fact that we move water from one place to another is, in general, beneficial.

If we could just figure out how to melt those damn glaciers faster and pipe that water to the desert all our problems would be solved.

In other news, I relocated approximately four cups of water, in the form of coffee, from my kitchen to the municipal wastewater system via my upstairs bathroom this morning.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu May 17, 2018 3:12 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:50 pm
UncleBob wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
We feel your pain.
Yup.
Uh oh. Where's that guy who points to the TOS whenever anyone posts something that may or may not be political in nature or may or may not lead another party to express what might or might not be considered a political opinion or view by a third party? You and I could probably afford our kale and granny smith apples if they didn't come from irrigated fields and orchards but a good portion of our fellow citizens couldn't. I'm as much a conservationist as most Americans, and I'm certainly dissatisfied with all the food we waste instead of sharing with those around the world who are hungry, but I think the fact that we move water from one place to another is, in general, beneficial.

If we could just figure out how to melt those damn glaciers faster and pipe that water to the desert all our problems would be solved.

In other news, I relocated approximately four cups of water, in the form of coffee, from my kitchen to the municipal wastewater system via my upstairs bathroom this morning.
In this part of the world, we need to figure out how to replenish the aquifer. How much coffee are you willing to drink?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu May 17, 2018 3:31 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:12 pm
FredS wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:50 pm
UncleBob wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
We feel your pain.
Yup.

In this part of the world, we need to figure out how to replenish the aquifer. How much coffee are you willing to drink?
My very good friend Colin (who sadly died last July) was an ag economist who worked for the KS extension bureau as his first job out of college. He was tasked with trying to convince farmers that, through irrigation, they were taking part in depleting the Ogallala aquifer. He had the facts and figures to show that with new strains of crops and new methods (satellite imaging was just becoming available 30-some years ago) it even made sense financially to stop or at least be more selective with their irrigation. Of course when you knock on a farmers door and say "I'm from the state and I'm here to help." you're not particularly well received.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu May 17, 2018 3:40 pm

Water. It's a tricky business here in the land o' plenty. On the one hand, Mrs FredS is a partner in a farm in NE that drilled a well and installed a new center-pivot a few years ago because it made the lease more valuable and provided some tax savings. On the other hand, I find recreation in catching fish that need cool and clean water to survive. I like cheap produce, a small patch of green lawn, cheap and safe tap water, cold mountain streams, and low water bills. I'm the solution and the problem.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu May 17, 2018 4:34 pm

You guys can do what you want, but me, I’m going to make a difference and be part of the solution.
I’ve been putting it off, but dammit, somebody’s gotta do something!

Tomorrow, I’m washing my car.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu May 17, 2018 9:19 pm

There's two!

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Thu May 17, 2018 9:58 pm

Nice Browns Fred!

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri May 18, 2018 8:57 am

Throwing a 2 fly rig can be a huge PIA because of tangles. But the river is too high and fast to wade much so I'm fishing up close and personal right now, from the bank and along the bank, making short plop casts with no false casts so it's manageable.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri May 18, 2018 9:05 am

FredS wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:19 pm
There's two!
8O
Sola Deo Gloria

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri May 18, 2018 1:04 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:05 am
FredS wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:19 pm
There's two!
8O
Yup, the good fishermen in Colorado can catch em 2 at a time....me I am still trying to catch one at a time...just one :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri May 18, 2018 5:34 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:34 pm
You guys can do what you want, but me, I’m going to make a difference and be part of the solution.
I’ve been putting it off, but dammit, somebody’s gotta do something!

Tomorrow, I’m washing my car.
It worked.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri May 18, 2018 7:02 pm

I don't mean to brag, but I got a new fly rod this week.

Redington Classic Trout Rod, 3wt 8'6"
Redington ZERO Reel, 2/3 (sand)
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri May 18, 2018 8:16 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:02 pm

You should brag more often.

What are your plans with it?

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri May 18, 2018 8:25 pm

I’ve been messing around this week with my new fly rod in the salt. Conditions poor even by conventional standards, but what better teacher? It was windy, water deeply tinted and strong rip currents. I just waded out in my shorts, the water tempts are just starting to get tolerable, then practiced casting in the wind. Didn’t catch a thing, but not trying to. I did get better at casting though. I learned how to keep the hook away from me too, even when the wind was blowing over my casting shoulder. Tomorrow morning at zero dark thirty I’m going to wake up son 2 and hit the surf to really fish again. The water conditions are looking better and I believe there will be new “structure” on the beach to attract fish. Wish me luck!

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Fri May 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:16 pm
JimVH wrote:

Light duty for crappie, white bass, panfish and such. Most of the suburban waters I fish don't have much bigger than that.

I'm really excited about the reel. I wanted something light and uncomplicated and the ZERO is just that. No drag adjustment, just a simple click action.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:32 pm
Thunktank wrote:
JimVH wrote:

Light duty for crappie, white bass, panfish and such. Most of the suburban waters I fish don't have much bigger than that.

I'm really excited about the reel. I wanted something light and uncomplicated and the ZERO is just that. No drag adjustment, just a simple click action.
I can image those white bass in particular being a blast on it when they come into the shallows. I didn’t figure you were after trout with it. The only thing you could have picked better was the green Zero reel. That thing is jazzy! :P

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Fri May 18, 2018 10:19 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 pm
JimVH wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
JimVH wrote:

I can image those white bass in particular being a blast on it when they come into the shallows. I didn’t figure you were after trout with it. The only thing you could have picked better was the green Zero reel. That thing is jazzy! :P
You're right. I had the green in my cart and changed at the last second. Doh.
Hank Williams

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri May 18, 2018 10:34 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:19 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 pm
JimVH wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
JimVH wrote:

You're right. I had the green in my cart and changed at the last second. Doh.
:lol:

Internet trolls like me.