The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Thunktank » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:59 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:54 pm
We were at an outdoor art/craft show a few months ago when we saw a couple from Montana selling landing nets the husband makes. They were pretty cool and he had a longish handled model I really liked. They were like $150 and Mrs FredS wanted to get one. I have a perfectly serviceable net so I suggested she take the guys card and consider it for a Christmas gift.

Two weeks ago, the AC in the car quite while on the way to DIA to retrieve guests flying in for a visit. I was hot and in a bad mood when we swung by Walmart to get a can of freon to top of the system. While there, we saw a Cortland net with the silicon basket very similar to what the Montana dude had, but these were $20. Mrs FredS wanted to get one and said she'd do some artwork on it. I like that idea but was in a foul mood so I passed on the purchase. Today, I was back at the same store, in the same section (buying a battery for the Mini this time) and decided I'd pick up one of those nets. They were all gone.

Damn.

(I still havn't got the AC to work. It's had a leak for years so I'm used to putting a can of juice in it at the beginning of summer and once again half way through. But now the compressor wont turn on and you can't add freon if the compressor isn't running. I tried 'hot wiring' it but the damn thing is too smart to be fooled.)
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:01 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:59 pm
FredS wrote:
We were at an outdoor art/craft show a few months ago when we saw a couple from Montana selling landing nets the husband makes. They were pretty cool and he had a longish handled model I really liked. They were like $150 and Mrs FredS wanted to get one. I have a perfectly serviceable net so I suggested she take the guys card and consider it for a Christmas gift.

Two weeks ago, the AC in the car quite while on the way to DIA to retrieve guests flying in for a visit. I was hot and in a bad mood when we swung by Walmart to get a can of freon to top of the system. While there, we saw a Cortland net with the silicon basket very similar to what the Montana dude had, but these were $20. Mrs FredS wanted to get one and said she'd do some artwork on it. I like that idea but was in a foul mood so I passed on the purchase. Today, I was back at the same store, in the same section (buying a battery for the Mini this time) and decided I'd pick up one of those nets. They were all gone.

Damn.

(I still havn't got the AC to work. It's had a leak for years so I'm used to putting a can of juice in it at the beginning of summer and once again half way through. But now the compressor wont turn on and you can't add freon if the compressor isn't running. I tried 'hot wiring' it but the damn thing is too smart to be fooled.)
Hah!

I was going to write that it's a red blooded 'Murican car, then I remembered that Daimler-Benz owns Chrysler.

I have a friend who likes to say "Everything's fine until it isn't." It applies perfectly to German cars.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:16 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:01 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:59 pm
FredS wrote:

Damn.

Hah!

I was going to write that it's a red blooded 'Murican car, then I remembered that Daimler-Benz owns Chrysler.

I have a friend who likes to say "Everything's fine until it isn't." It applies perfectly to German cars.
Quit being cheap and just fix it, then you can spend more time fishing and less time nickel and diming and dissing your car. Just don’t ask me about the DIVCO and Jeep.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:49 am

I had an hour to fish this weekend, as it was a work/cleanup and volunteer weekend. But I did spend 45 min on the lake with a fly rod and an Parachute Adams (not one of my ties, a purchase from 1/2Buck Fly Shop). I caught and landed an 18 inch Rainbow and a 12 inch Brookie.

The Rainbow fought like I had the frying pan instead of the landing net. The Brookie just threw his nose down, went deep and didn't break the surface until I scooped him up with the net.

I was back at the cabin in under my allowed hour and we made it to the work day on time...I should have kept fishing.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:28 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:49 am
...I should have kept fishing.
There's a life verse if I ever heard one.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:28 pm

RIta and I had a few minutes to kill before an appointment this afternoon so we went by a local park lake to check on it. It runs adjacent to Big Cypress Creek, a large, deep creek that serves as part of the flood control system on my side of the county. When the creek floods, so does the park lake and the current upsets the the fish population. I haven't fished it since the last flood and wondered what I'd find. We left with smiles on our faces. We walked the piers and paths around the most heavily fished areas of the shore and things looked pretty healthy. The baitfish were thick and small to medium panfish could be seen everywhere. I studied one area for about ten minutes and saw several more mature fish peaking out of and skirting around the hydrilla. I'm going back later in the week with a kayak and fly rod.

As Elvis often said when he wanted to go fishing, "I get a fever that's so hard to bear".

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:15 pm

Have a great trip...sounds promising
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:57 am

Wait a minute Jim, I thought you hailed from a different region. 8)

Have fun fishing!

Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor

The fishing thread

Post by Dlibbon » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:02 am

Been off cps for the last month or so due to a crazy spring. Coincidentally also off the water for much of that. Hoping to get back into both soon. Hope everyone is well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:55 am

Went up to our local pond for a bit after dinner last night. Beautiful night with Saturn, Jupiter, and Venus clearly visible.

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:16 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:55 am
Went up to our local pond for a bit after dinner last night. Beautiful night with Saturn, Jupiter, and Venus clearly visible.

Lovely!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Dlibbon » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:09 pm

Spent 20 min throwing a cast net yesterday morning getting bait then went fishing and found the 20 or so mullet I caught GONE. All that was left in my bucket were a handful of shrimp. I looked at my youngest who was with me dumbfounded and she said... "The shrimp was bullying the fish so I set them free." :egor:

Found more mullet. Fished for an hour. Caught nothing.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:06 pm

Dlibbon wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:09 pm
Spent 20 min throwing a cast net yesterday morning getting bait then went fishing and found the 20 or so mullet I caught GONE. All that was left in my bucket were a handful of shrimp. I looked at my youngest who was with me dumbfounded and she said... "The shrimp was bullying the fish so I set them free." :egor:

Found more mullet. Fished for an hour. Caught nothing.
I lover her since of fair play
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Dlibbon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:57 pm

The mojo is back!

Pulled in my new personal best large mouth this morning. 23”! Mouth so big I could have fit my entire fist in its maw.

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Dlibbon wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:57 pm
The mojo is back!

Pulled in my new personal best large mouth this morning. 23”! Mouth so big I could have fit my entire fist in its maw.

Boom!

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:27 pm

Dlibbon wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:57 pm
The mojo is back!

Did you kiss it?

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:56 pm

I got to spend the day with my youngest brother today. This is the first time he's fly fished. Hell, it's the first time he's fished since the last time I took him 8 or 10 years ago.

This is him, 15 minutes after he told me he was going to fish from shore because the water was too cold. He eventually ended up dunking himself completely. I told him at least he now knows it won't kill him.

Yours truly with a nice brown trout exactly 1 second before he jumped back in the river.

Caught a few rainbows too. Love those rosey red cheeks.

I have no idea what this thing is but as soon as he started showing his nasty yellow teeth I decided I was close enough.

For those keeping score at home, the guides choice hares ear and prince nymphs were the hot flies today.

mrs_gabriel
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar

Post by mrs_gabriel » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:00 pm

FredS wrote:I got to spend the day with my youngest brother today. This is the first time he's fly fished. Hell, it's the first time he's fished since the last time I took him 8 or 10 years ago.

This is him, 15 minutes after he told me he was going to fish from shore because the water was too cold. He eventually ended up dunking himself completely. I told him at least he now knows it won't kill him.

Yours truly with a nice brown trout exactly 1 second before he jumped back in the river.

I have no idea what this thing is but as soon as he started showing his nasty yellow teeth I decided I was close enough.

For those keeping score at home, the guides choice hares ear and prince nymphs were the hot flies today.

Awesome fish! That’s just a woodchuck/groundhog/whistlepig. Image

<strong>A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.</strong> Proverbs 15:1

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:17 pm

mrs_gabriel wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:00 pm
FredS wrote:I got to spend the day with my youngest brother today. This is the first time he's fly fished. Hell, it's the first time he's fished since the last time I took him 8 or 10 years ago.

Awesome fish! That’s just a woodchuck/groundhog/whistlepig. Image

The Rocky Mountain version: Alpine Marmot. Called a whistle pig here, too. But out here, they’re armed!

Good fishin’ there, Fred!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:07 pm

Sure is pretty country there, Fred.