The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Dlibbon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:43 am

Beautiful fish Fred. Sounds like a great day!

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:52 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:17 pm
mrs_gabriel wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:00 pm
FredS wrote:. . .
I have no idea what this thing is but as soon as he started showing his nasty yellow teeth I decided I was close enough.
Awesome fish! That’s just a woodchuck/groundhog/whistlepig.
The Rocky Mountain version: Alpine Marmot. Called a whistle pig here, too. But out here, they’re armed!

Yeah, I should have known it as a marmot sooner. I just learned all about them at the visitors center in RMNP a few weeks ago with my grandkids. Evidently these things spend 5-6 months of the year getting fat and 6-7 months hibernating. This fella was certainly well in to his fattening season.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:58 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:52 am
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:17 pm
mrs_gabriel wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:00 pm
FredS wrote:. . .
I have no idea what this thing is but as soon as he started showing his nasty yellow teeth I decided I was close enough.
Awesome fish! That’s just a woodchuck/groundhog/whistlepig.
The Rocky Mountain version: Alpine Marmot. Called a whistle pig here, too. But out here, they’re armed!

Yeah, I should have known it as a marmot sooner. I just learned all about them at the visitors center in RMNP a few weeks ago with my grandkids. Evidently these things spend 5-6 months of the year getting fat and 6-7 months hibernating. This fella was certainly well in to his fattening season.
Are they edible?

Asking for a cajun friend.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:09 am

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:58 am
Are they edible?

I’ve never known anyone who ate them, but it used to be pretty common to consider them “varmint,” and a lot of old timers used to shoot them.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:30 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:09 am
JimVH wrote:
Are they edible?

I’ve never known anyone who ate them, but it used to be pretty common to consider them “varmint,” and a lot of old timers used to shoot them.
I have eaten marmot...Many years ago, my son and I took a 2 day camping trip into a wilderness area off of Owl Creek Pass, and he shot a marmot and we cleaned it and roasted it for dinner. Tasted like rabbit, but not as lean and it was a little greasy but not bad overall. I think it was a one time thing...I don't have the desire to eat marmot again.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:21 pm

durangopipe wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Are they edible?

In the summer of my 14th year, while on our annual vacation to my grandparents place in the mountains between Canon City and Westcliffe, CO my grandpa gave me and my 13 year old brother the keys to his old jeep (so old it was made by Ford, not Willys), his scoped 22 rifle and two boxes of shells, and told us to drive down the road a few miles to a big meadowy pasture and shoot the prairie dogs. Bouncing around the pasture in a jeep with no top, plinking varmints was perhaps the most fun I ever had as a kid, before maturity quelled my blood lust. The 'dogs' were said to carry disease and we were warned about handling them. Turned out to be a non-issue since their den mates would quickly take the dead ones underground anyway. Presumably so as not to attract predators to a smorgasbord of dead dogs scattered about.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:41 pm

My brother drove his daughters Mini Cooper S from his canyon to mine to meet up for our fishing trip. It's about 60 miles of the twistiest roads imaginable and he said it was a blast. The problem though, is that he made that decision at the last minute and left his fishing license at home in his truck. No problem we thought, it's all online now so he can get a replacement printed anywhere. Well, it turns out that the online system is a problem and the only shop in the canyon with internet access was about 15 miles each way out of the way from where I'd planned to fish.

Instead of wasting time to drive back down to the place I'd planned on I figured we might as well fish our way down from that shop, as it's a lot less crowded the higher you go and it ended up being a good decision. We fished places that I'm pretty sure haven't been fished this year, and - based on my catches and hookups - the average size up there is a good 6" longer than down lower where they've been slammed pretty hard by this time. Even better, we didn't bump in to anyone else all day.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:01 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:41 pm
My brother drove his daughters Mini Cooper S from his canyon to mine to meet up for our fishing trip. It's about 60 miles of the twistiest roads imaginable and he said it was a blast. The problem though, is that he made that decision at the last minute and left his fishing license at home in his truck. No problem we thought, it's all online now so he can get a replacement printed anywhere. Well, it turns out that the online system is a problem and the only shop in the canyon with internet access was about 15 miles each way out of the way from where I'd planned to fish.

Instead of wasting time to drive back down to the place I'd planned on I figured we might as well fish our way down from that shop, as it's a lot less crowded the higher you go and it ended up being a good decision. We fished places that I'm pretty sure haven't been fished this year, and - based on my catches and hookups - the average size up there is a good 6" longer than down lower where they've been slammed pretty hard by this time. Even better, we didn't bump in to anyone else all day.
Sure sounds like you’ve settled into the Colorado lifestyle, Fred!
Good on ya.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:57 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:21 pm
durangopipe wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Are they edible?

In the summer of my 14th year, while on our annual vacation to my grandparents place in the mountains between Canon City and Westcliffe, CO my grandpa gave me and my 13 year old brother the keys to his old jeep (so old it was made by Ford, not Willys), his scoped 22 rifle and two boxes of shells, and told us to drive down the road a few miles to a big meadowy pasture and shoot the prairie dogs. Bouncing around the pasture in a jeep with no top, plinking varmints was perhaps the most fun I ever had as a kid, before maturity quelled my blood lust. The 'dogs' were said to carry disease and we were warned about handling them. Turned out to be a non-issue since their den mates would quickly take the dead ones underground anyway. Presumably so as not to attract predators to a smorgasbord of dead dogs scattered about.
A good friend and I sat on a large Mesa somewhere south of Springs a few summers ago and "plinked" 45-50 or more prairie dogs. He said the same thing about no touch, said they carried leprosy. The guy whose horse pasture it was sure didn't mind us being there, leprosy or no leprosy. I still remember the herd of antelope dashing away as we topped the Mesa. And the large covey of quail we flushed on the way out. Not to mention the browns and one rainbow we caught in the Arkansas the previous day.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:46 am

Wow. That sounds like a helluva trip Tim.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:25 pm

I’m taking son 2 fishing as our last activity together for a while, that’s what he asked to do with me. Son 1 and I are leaving for Texas next Tuesday and son 2 and mom are staying in So Cal until November.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:38 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:25 pm
I’m taking son 2 fishing as our last activity together for a while, that’s what he asked to do with me. Son 1 and I are leaving for Texas next Tuesday and son 2 and mom are staying in So Cal until November.
Have a great time
Scott ( aka - Thor )

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:56 am

The origins of pottery linked with intensified fishing in the post-glacial period
Scientists examined 800 pottery vessels in one of the largest studies ever undertaken, focusing mainly on Japan- a country recognised as being one of the earliest centres for ceramic innovation.

A three year study led by researchers at BioArCh, the University of York, concluded that the ceramic vessels were used by our hunter-gatherer ancestors to store and process fish, initially salmon, but then a wider range including shellfish, freshwater and marine fish and mammals as fishing intensified.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:35 am

UncleBob wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:56 am
The origins of pottery linked with intensified fishing in the post-glacial period
Scientists examined 800 pottery vessels in one of the largest studies ever undertaken, focusing mainly on Japan- a country recognised as being one of the earliest centres for ceramic innovation.

A three year study led by researchers at BioArCh, the University of York, concluded that the ceramic vessels were used by our hunter-gatherer ancestors to store and process fish, initially salmon, but then a wider range including shellfish, freshwater and marine fish and mammals as fishing intensified.
The Japanese ancients ate a lot of fish. Who knew?

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:25 pm

I made a quick trip onto Sabine Lake this morning with an old friend. I know I checked the conditions for the correct day, but it must have been the wrong year. What I read predicted clear skies, no rain, light wind and high tide. Instead we had overcast sky, scattered light rain, gusty winds and low tide.

Anyway, we drifted the Louisiana shoreline, throwing soft plastics, and could hardly keep gafftops off of our hooks. They all ran 3-5 lbs, and bit and fought well, but we were looking for fish with scales, and released them all.

It was a good drift, with lots of activity in the water, but tough to catch good fish. We saw only one other boat; a guy by himself, who came in less than 100 yrds from us, cutting off our drift. So I cranked up the motor and went around him, and began a new drift. It wasn't like there wasn't room for the two of us. Shortly he cranked up his motor, and went back around us, like a game of leapfrog. Finally he headed out into the lake, made a big circle and headed across the lake. I wanted to take a pic, but failed to get him in the frame.

Finally we got into some fast action with redfish, but they were all 12-15" non-keeper fish. Pretty fish, though.

Later, back at the ramp, we met the other fisherman we had played leapfrog with, and we asked him why he left in such a hurry. "I lost patience", he replied. Oh well.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:06 am

Best day ever yesterday. I'm not a counter but I probably caught 10-12 fish in two hours. Enough so that I was well pleased with the evening and *stopped fishing with almost two hours of daylight left. Slammed the banks with a prince and copper john duo. Seems like there was a fish in every pocket. Even caught a few rainbows which are not plentiful in my home river due to whirling disease.

*[EDIT] Full Disclosure: The only reason I stopped fishing with two good hours left was because I had gashed my left shin and I whacked my right knee. The river is very bouldery and I lost my footing a couple times while landing some of the bigger fish. I'm still at a point in my fishing career where I'll fish in the difficult places that many (wiser?) fishermen pass by. Fishing as a combat sport I guess.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:21 am

Congrats on the good day. Nice fish. Be careful out there
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:58 am

Niiiiice. I’ve been off this thread too much this summer. I’m home from church this morning so I’ll have to do some catching up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:12 am

Late summer fishing is heating up. The local river is low and clear (almost alarmingly low) so one of my staff members and I took some of the Salem boys fishing for a few hours. Everyone caught fish and a couple of them were introduced to an underwater world they’d never even thought about.

You could see some catfish and carp schooling about in a couple spots and they were shocked at what had been there the whole time. :) (the other boy tried to play everything super cool, as if he was the expert on it all. That is, until I caught him trying to break open a huge live clam so he could “find the pearls inside”)

Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:28 am

That's outstanding, Gabe. You're changing live right there.