The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 am

JimVH wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:28 am
That's outstanding, Gabe. You're changing live right there.
Yup!
Something about leaving asphalt and getting knee deep and in the creation that makes us better people.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:15 am

Jim, I also fished those minnows of yours. They were perfect in that shallow water. They float almost like a popper or diver and bass just kept nailing them on the surface. Well done.

JimVH sent me a few minnows with his fly swap tin, there were three... unfortunately one was lost to a failed knot while fighting a smallmouth bass. Image Dont let Jim’s self deprecating talk fool ya, he’s tied some effective flies.

Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:24 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:15 am
Jim, I also fished those minnows of yours. They were perfect in that shallow water. They float almost like a popper or diver and bass just kept nailing them on the surface.
It makes my day knowing they caught fish.

I'm also going to tie a few with a tiny bit of weight, hoping that they will sink just just a little.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:36 pm

Fly fished with my brother and son 1 at my brother's stock pond in Pennsylvania. Caught a few little bass and many bluegills. My son caught the biggest bass my brother ever saw from that pond using a Mepps spinner. All the while there were about 40 wild turkeys feeding in the fields around us. Next time I’ll bring the longbow or the old Remington M31 16 gauge during the spring turkey season.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:35 am

Nice. Bass + popper = fun
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:52 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:35 am
Nice. Bass + popper = fun
:thumbsup:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:22 am

Tough fishing in local salt water last week. Brisk winds and mostly falling tides.

We spent the day mostly dodging thunderstorms ...

... and catching "slimers", when we finally decided to just bank-fish. My grandson was pretty disgusted.

It was not long after this that the keys (and phones) were locked in the truck, and the window ended up shattered by my prying screwdriver. I was ever so close to reaching the key fob with a wire, too. I suppose I was getting antsy with the lightning popping around us while I was working on it.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:56 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:22 am
It was not long after this that the keys (and phones) were locked in the truck, and the window ended up shattered by my prying screwdriver. I was ever so close to reaching the key fob with a wire, too. I suppose I was getting antsy with the lightning popping around us while I was working on it.
I was wondering how the window (previously mentioned) was shattered.
Terrible week.

Hope things turn around!

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Bloodhound and I ditched work one day last week and he took me to some of the most beautiful water in the world. As one might expect, his water is a lot more genteel than my rough and tumble water. We caught some fish. I hooked a Yuge rainbow but he broke off after one jump to show me how big he was.

Beaver Pond Brownie on a red humpy

Feisty Baby Brown on a PMD

Got out on my home water a bit yesterday and found some fish.
Freckly Rainbow on a stimulator
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:24 pm

Lovely!

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:36 pm

Supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow (we really need rain), so we hit up the river before all the runoff clouds it up. Caught a pic of my son bringing in a little smallmouth.

Sola Deo Gloria

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:45 am

Make fish while the sun shines or sets :) Very nice
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:35 pm

Mrs FredS has been bugging me to take her fly fishing. I've dodged the issue and I thought it had died down - 'till the <zederated> noontime news show out of Denver ran a story on lady fly fishers just now. It's flared up again. The only good thing about this mess is that women look pretty sexy in ball caps and waders.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:15 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:35 pm
Mrs FredS has been bugging me to take her fly fishing. I've dodged the issue and I thought it had died down - 'till the <zederated> noontime news show out of Denver ran a story on lady fly fishers just now. It's flared up again. The only good thing about this mess is that women look pretty sexy in ball caps and waders.
I wish my wife would ask to do that. I’m looking forward to the day she does. Neener neener, I’m a better hasband than you are! :P :P :P

My brother decided to teach my 14 year old son to fly cast last week when I took those above photos. More power to him. Later in the day I let my son try fishing with mine because I found a honey hole full of blue gill that were killing my orange wooly bugger. He didn’t hurt anything, he didn’t catch anything with it either. I took the rod back and proceeded to catch a few more at which point he wandered off with the four wheeler somewhere. :lol:

He did come back and catch the biggest bass of the day though. . . Good kid.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:15 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:35 pm
I wish my wife would ask to do that. I’m looking forward to the day she does. Neener neener, I’m a better hasband than you are! :P :P :P

My brother decided to teach my 14 year old son to fly cast last week when I took those above photos. More power to him. Later in the day I let my son try fishing with mine because I found a honey hole full of blue gill that were killing my orange wooly bugger. He didn’t hurt anything, he didn’t catch anything with it either. I took the rod back and proceeded to catch a few more at which point he wandered off with the four wheeler somewhere. :lol:

He did come back and catch the biggest bass of the day though. . . Good kid.
If she goes along, Mrs FredS usually takes some art stuff and 'creates' while I fish. We always have a bucket or two so she's been picking up rocks and driftwood to decorate the yard and her indoor fountains. I sort of owe her for this whole Colorado deal so I should at least let her give it a try. She's been coming to this river since she was a baby - her grandparents owned a lodge and her parents worked there during the summer - and she introduced me to it us when I was 23. Maybe I'll take her up to the spot Bloodhound showed me. It's a better place to learn I think, and it's far enough away to make it an actual 'trip' that she'll have to stick with. If we're only a half hour from the house she might want to bail sooner.

Also, your boy was probably getting as many bites as you were, he just wasn't detecting them.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:38 am

I saw this link on another site and thought it should be shared here.

Hey FredS, its a kid fishing link...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/19/spor ... rmick.html
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:28 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:38 am

Amazing! I would hire that kid to teach me. The last time I tried getting fancy with accurate fly casting I donated a couple of bass plug flies to the reeds. They were only about 20 feet away.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:36 am

This past weekend I drove around scouting new waters to fish from. I went to popular banks at state parks then later found little known dirt roads that lead to quiet places. I spent time dodging thunder storms and talking to other fisherman in the rain. So far I have barely begun to scratch the surface in this new adventure.

I foresee a boat in my future. But for now canoes and kayaks.

Last edited by Thunktank on Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:14 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:28 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:38 am

Amazing! I would hire that kid to teach me. The last time I tried getting fancy with accurate fly casting I donated a couple of bass plug flies to the reeds. They were only about 20 feet away.
Ha! I saw that article last night. Did you see her margin of victory in the latest world championships? She had damn near double the points of her nearest competitor.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:36 am
This past weekend I drove around scouting new waters to fish from. I went to popular banks at state parks then later found little known dirt roads that lead to quiet places. I spent time dodging thunder storms and talking to other fisherman in the rain. So far I have barely begun to scratch the surface in this new adventure.
I've found that a YUGE part of enjoying a cross-country move is finding new-to-you water and new-to-you methods. I see many evenings blue lining - searching out blue lines on online or printed maps and satellite images - in your future.