The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
FredS
Good enough for Trappists
Good enough for Trappists
Posts: 21640
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Yes! Beer should be part of your survival pack.

Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 22377
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by JimVH » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:29 am

I needed a chuckle this morning and this appeared:

Image
4 - 21 - 2 - 12 - 9 - 14
6 - 15 - 18
16 - 15 - 25

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35883
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by UncleBob » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:22 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:09 pm
Yes! Beer should be part of your survival pack.

Image
Sweet.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21935
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Thunktank » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:04 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:29 am
I needed a chuckle this morning and this appeared:

Image
Me too!

:lol:

Now back somber.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

User avatar
FredS
Good enough for Trappists
Good enough for Trappists
Posts: 21640
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:21 pm

It's Tom Waits' birthday. Here's a show called Fishing With John. You won't get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo50RX6Sl7A
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6316
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:17 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:21 pm
It's Tom Waits' birthday. Here's a show called Fishing With John. You won't get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo50RX6Sl7A
Cracked me up.
Thanks Fred.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 7927
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Goose55 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:59 am

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11607
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:51 pm

So... it looks like we might be taking a family vacation to coastal SC in either May or August. Looking at Edisto Beach as Mrs Gabriel loves that area. It will be a family vacation, so I won’t be able to spend a lot of money on fishing trips, but I’d love to do some fishing while we’re there.

Sadly, when I lived in SC, I never did take advantage of fishing opportunities so I’m woefully ignorant. Any experienced thoughts on opportunities in that area? Surf fishing? Fly fishing? Can I surf fish with my bass rod?

Dlibbon? Thunk? sweetnsour?
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6316
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:38 pm

Great video Goose!
Thanks for posting.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6316
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:41 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:51 pm
So... it looks like we might be taking a family vacation to coastal SC in either May or August. Looking at Edisto Beach as Mrs Gabriel loves that area. It will be a family vacation, so I won’t be able to spend a lot of money on fishing trips, but I’d love to do some fishing while we’re there.

Sadly, when I lived in SC, I never did take advantage of fishing opportunities so I’m woefully ignorant. Any experienced thoughts on opportunities in that area? Surf fishing? Fly fishing? Can I surf fish with my bass rod?

Dlibbon? Thunk? sweetnsour?
Can’t help on the fishing front, Gabe, but interestingly ...
The woman who fostered our setter before we got him lives in Charleston and vacations at Edisto Beach.
Before we got Iggy I’d never heard of the place and now it’s come up twice in fairly short order.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9805
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:59 am

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:51 pm
So... it looks like we might be taking a family vacation to coastal SC in either May or August. Looking at Edisto Beach as Mrs Gabriel loves that area. It will be a family vacation, so I won’t be able to spend a lot of money on fishing trips, but I’d love to do some fishing while we’re there.

Sadly, when I lived in SC, I never did take advantage of fishing opportunities so I’m woefully ignorant. Any experienced thoughts on opportunities in that area? Surf fishing? Fly fishing? Can I surf fish with my bass rod?

Dlibbon? Thunk? sweetnsour?
I spent many fine days on Edisto Island, but it's been over 20 years since I was last there. What I used to enjoy most was the lack of development, but I hear that developers eventually found it. Still, there's beach cabin rentals, campgrounds, condos, and hopefully still plenty of fishing opportunities. I've fished there in the surf, inland cuts and passes, and once hired a boat to go out to a barrier island with wife and kids where I fished and they picked up shells and fossils. Edisto used to be the best place to find shark teeth and shells. We even went with a large youth group once, from Summerville, to the state park at Edisto Beach. All of my fishing then was with either popping or spinning rods with lures for flounder, trout, redfish and other scalefish, , or with surf rods and large baits for bull reds and sharks. I'm not the one to advise about fly fishing there but surely information is available. To your question about bass rods, I've used bass rods many times when saltwater fishing. Anyway much has changed I'm sure, but I'm sure it's still a great place. May is probably best for fishing. August probably best for family, etc.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11607
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:24 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:41 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:51 pm
So... it looks like we might be taking a family vacation to coastal SC in either May or August. Looking at Edisto Beach as Mrs Gabriel loves that area. It will be a family vacation, so I won’t be able to spend a lot of money on fishing trips, but I’d love to do some fishing while we’re there.

Sadly, when I lived in SC, I never did take advantage of fishing opportunities so I’m woefully ignorant. Any experienced thoughts on opportunities in that area? Surf fishing? Fly fishing? Can I surf fish with my bass rod?

Dlibbon? Thunk? sweetnsour?
Can’t help on the fishing front, Gabe, but interestingly ...
The woman who fostered our setter before we got him lives in Charleston and vacations at Edisto Beach.
Before we got Iggy I’d never heard of the place and now it’s come up twice in fairly short order.
Nice! We used to live in Columbia and would weekend in Charleston, Isle of Palms, Edisto, and Beaufort from time to time. great chapter in our lives.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11607
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:31 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:59 am
Gabriel wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:51 pm
So... it looks like we might be taking a family vacation to coastal SC in either May or August. Looking at Edisto Beach as Mrs Gabriel loves that area. It will be a family vacation, so I won’t be able to spend a lot of money on fishing trips, but I’d love to do some fishing while we’re there.

Sadly, when I lived in SC, I never did take advantage of fishing opportunities so I’m woefully ignorant. Any experienced thoughts on opportunities in that area? Surf fishing? Fly fishing? Can I surf fish with my bass rod?

Dlibbon? Thunk? sweetnsour?
I spent many fine days on Edisto Island, but it's been over 20 years since I was last there. What I used to enjoy most was the lack of development, but I hear that developers eventually found it. Still, there's beach cabin rentals, campgrounds, condos, and hopefully still plenty of fishing opportunities. I've fished there in the surf, inland cuts and passes, and once hired a boat to go out to a barrier island with wife and kids where I fished and they picked up shells and fossils. Edisto used to be the best place to find shark teeth and shells. We even went with a large youth group once, from Summerville, to the state park at Edisto Beach. All of my fishing then was with either popping or spinning rods with lures for flounder, trout, redfish and other scalefish, , or with surf rods and large baits for bull reds and sharks. I'm not the one to advise about fly fishing there but surely information is available. To your question about bass rods, I've used bass rods many times when saltwater fishing. Anyway much has changed I'm sure, but I'm sure it's still a great place. May is probably best for fishing. August probably best for family, etc.
Hey! Yes, we discovered Edisto back around '00. As I just mentioned, we lived in Columbia and liked to take day trips or weekend trips to Charleston area. We also spent a lot of time state park camping. We originally went to down to Edisto because there was a state park on the map and we figured we'd check it out. My wife fell in love with that stretch, she would spend the rest of her life looking at shells and sharks teeth if she could. From that perspective there was no other beach we visited as productive. I remembered driving south down the coast and it was virtually dirt roads with no houses at all. The map seems to show a different picture now, but we're hoping to check it out.

When you say "All of my fishing then was with either popping or spinning rods with lures for flounder, trout, redfish and other scalefish," I'm trying to picture what you mean. From boats in inlets? on the beach? ponds?

If we can get a cabin on the beach I'm half tempted to leave all my fly fishing stuff at home, see if I can rent some surf fishing gear that I can set up out front of the cabin, and fish and smoke a cigar in the mornings.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
FredS
Good enough for Trappists
Good enough for Trappists
Posts: 21640
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:01 pm

When I lived in the Myrtle Beach/Surfside area I did a lot of fishing for sea bass and flounder in my bosses 16' bass boat in Murrells Inlet. That's probably further north than you'd care to drive for a couple hours of morning fishing. There are some piers and abandoned bridges on the Copper and Ashley rivers in Charlston that I used to see folks fishing from. But your idea of trying to rent some gear and walking down to the beach every morning sounds like the most relaxing way to go. You could even fish all day if you guys decide just to have a lazy beach day.

Image
Last edited by FredS on Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9805
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:09 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:31 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:59 am
Gabriel wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:51 pm
So... it looks like we might be taking a family vacation to coastal SC in either May or August. Looking at Edisto Beach as Mrs Gabriel loves that area. It will be a family vacation, so I won’t be able to spend a lot of money on fishing trips, but I’d love to do some fishing while we’re there.

Sadly, when I lived in SC, I never did take advantage of fishing opportunities so I’m woefully ignorant. Any experienced thoughts on opportunities in that area? Surf fishing? Fly fishing? Can I surf fish with my bass rod?

Dlibbon? Thunk? sweetnsour?
I spent many fine days on Edisto Island, but it's been over 20 years since I was last there. What I used to enjoy most was the lack of development, but I hear that developers eventually found it. Still, there's beach cabin rentals, campgrounds, condos, and hopefully still plenty of fishing opportunities. I've fished there in the surf, inland cuts and passes, and once hired a boat to go out to a barrier island with wife and kids where I fished and they picked up shells and fossils. Edisto used to be the best place to find shark teeth and shells. We even went with a large youth group once, from Summerville, to the state park at Edisto Beach. All of my fishing then was with either popping or spinning rods with lures for flounder, trout, redfish and other scalefish, , or with surf rods and large baits for bull reds and sharks. I'm not the one to advise about fly fishing there but surely information is available. To your question about bass rods, I've used bass rods many times when saltwater fishing. Anyway much has changed I'm sure, but I'm sure it's still a great place. May is probably best for fishing. August probably best for family, etc.
Hey! Yes, we discovered Edisto back around '00. As I just mentioned, we lived in Columbia and liked to take day trips or weekend trips to Charleston area. We also spent a lot of time state park camping. We originally went to down to Edisto because there was a state park on the map and we figured we'd check it out. My wife fell in love with that stretch, she would spend the rest of her life looking at shells and sharks teeth if she could. From that perspective there was no other beach we visited as productive. I remembered driving south down the coast and it was virtually dirt roads with no houses at all. The map seems to show a different picture now, but we're hoping to check it out.

When you say "All of my fishing then was with either popping or spinning rods with lures for flounder, trout, redfish and other scalefish," I'm trying to picture what you mean. From boats in inlets? on the beach? ponds?

If we can get a cabin on the beach I'm half tempted to leave all my fly fishing stuff at home, see if I can rent some surf fishing gear that I can set up out front of the cabin, and fish and smoke a cigar in the mornings.
Yes if it we're me I'd leave the fly gear, honestly. Mostly I bank-fished inlets and canals, using spinning gear with soft plastics or gold spoons. Now I mostly favor a 7' medium rod with a small Curado type reel, with 12lb line, and rig up weighted hooks directly on the line for soft plastics.
Just looking at current maps I don't know how much access there is now. Last we rented there it was a cabin on the beach for a week, pre-Hugo, and it was a great time.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9805
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:13 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:01 pm
When I lived in the Myrtle Beach/Surfside area I did a lot of fishing for sea bass and flounder in my bosses 16' bass boat in Murrells Inlet. That's probably further north than you'd care to drive for a couple hours of morning fishing. There are some piers and abandoned bridges on the Copper and Ashley rivers in Charlston that I used to see folks fishing from. But your idea of trying to rent some gear and walking down to the beach every morning sounds like the most relaxing way to go. You could even fish all day if you guys decide just to have a lazy beach day.

Image
Nice pic! The one time I fished at Myrtle B., everyone was digging up fiddler crabs and some other weird-looking thing from the wet sand for bait. Fishing from the pier, estimate where the troughs (or "guts") are, bait up a large single hook rigged for the bottom using a "sand digger" weight (a lead weight with heavy wires for sticking into the sand), cast it out and then wait.
As far as Edisto, once you make the drive down there to the beach you're pretty much committed to fish there.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
FredS
Good enough for Trappists
Good enough for Trappists
Posts: 21640
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:00 am

Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11607
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:03 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:01 pm
When I lived in the Myrtle Beach/Surfside area I did a lot of fishing for sea bass and flounder in my bosses 16' bass boat in Murrells Inlet. That's probably further north than you'd care to drive for a couple hours of morning fishing. There are some piers and abandoned bridges on the Copper and Ashley rivers in Charlston that I used to see folks fishing from. But your idea of trying to rent some gear and walking down to the beach every morning sounds like the most relaxing way to go. You could even fish all day if you guys decide just to have a lazy beach day.

Image
Other than a day trip to Charleston, I'm pretty sure "lazy beach days" are all that is on the schedule. I forgot you used to used to live up the coast there. As you probably remember then, once you get to some of those coastal areas, there is no convenient way to drive from place to place. At least not to my midwestern sensibility...

I'll see about taking some bass rods, but I really don't even own the kind of weights and tackle that are probably needed for surf fishing. The more I think about it though, the more I love the idea. We are looking at a house right on the beach about a mile south of the state park there. Starting to look like late August is the most likely time frame.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
FredS
Good enough for Trappists
Good enough for Trappists
Posts: 21640
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:21 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:03 am
. . . Starting to look like late August is the most likely time frame.
Oh that's good. The weather will have started to cool by then.


























not
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Post Reply