Netflix Gold

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Re: Netflix Gold

Post by Jester » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:52 am

'Stranger Things' Creators Head To Trial For Alleged Plagiarism

I spoke with tuttle about this a few weeks ago. I heard rumors about it last year. Most articles saying the claims had no merit.
"On Wednesday, a Los Angeles Superior Court denied summary judgment to the Duffer brothers in a lawsuit brought by Charlie Kessler," reports The Hollywood Reporter. "Kessler alleges Stranger Things is based on a feature film script titled The Montauk Project — set in the New York town in which he says is home to 'various urban legends, and paranormal and conspiracy theories.'"

Kessler claims he pitched the project to the Duffers at the Tribeca Film Festival in 2014, alleging they breached an "implied contract.".........
Michael Kernan, attorney for Kessler, said the denial of summary judgment proves Kessler's case has merit, noting the difficulty of taking a plagiarism case to trial, most of which are settled out of court or dismissed entirely.

"Now that the Judge has ruled and denied their motion for summary judgment, we can now dispense with the nonsense promoted by the Duffers and Netflix that this lawsuit has no merit, and that they had 'proof' that they created the show," said Kernan. "If the lawsuit had no merit, or if they actually had the 'proof' they created it, then their summary judgment would have won. They lost. These motions are very hard to fight and winning this Motion shows Mr. Kessler has a good case. We look forward to proving Mr. Kessler's case at trial."
I hope the show continues. I have doubt they will. When the rumors started circulating they talked about cutting off at season two. Then they delayed season three by nearly a year (they release this Independence Day instead of last Halloween).

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"It's funny how Big-Pharma was so evil until now." -Norm MacDonald

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:34 am

Ouch. Mrs Gabriel and I just started re-watching season 2 last night.
Sola Deo Gloria

gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Post by gaining_age » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:56 pm

Over on Amazon Prime (can I put this here... I shall put this here):

I was thinking about Denny Crane recently-- don't know why, just the name. Actually it was because I watched some of Iron Fist *(which is on Netflix)* and the young kid's name is "Danny Rand". And they said it so much I said to my wife..."This seems like a drinking game". And I started talking back to the TV: "Denny Crane" whenever they said "Danny Rand".

Well, this last weekend I stumbled across Boston Legal again on Amazon Prime. And it was glorious with Shatner as Denny Crane but I also recalled that wasn't where the character was introduced-- that was back on .... "The Practice"-- in the 8th season (and final one).

I went back and watched Alan Shore (James Spader) and then the introduction of Shatner's character-- The Practice is not HD and it's a little painful but still some very funny moments as the producers shifted the show from drama to comedy to kick off (eventually) Boston Legal.

Denny Crane.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:11 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:56 pm
Over on Amazon Prime (can I put this here... I shall put this here):

I was thinking about Denny Crane recently-- don't know why, just the name. Actually it was because I watched some of Iron Fist *(which is on Netflix)* and the young kid's name is "Danny Rand". And they said it so much I said to my wife..."This seems like a drinking game". And I started talking back to the TV: "Denny Crane" whenever they said "Danny Rand".

Well, this last weekend I stumbled across Boston Legal again on Amazon Prime. And it was glorious with Shatner as Denny Crane but I also recalled that wasn't where the character was introduced-- that was back on .... "The Practice"-- in the 8th season (and final one).

I went back and watched Alan Shore (James Spader) and then the introduction of Shatner's character-- The Practice is not HD and it's a little painful but still some very funny moments as the producers shifted the show from drama to comedy to kick off (eventually) Boston Legal.

Denny Crane.
Denny Crane is one of the greatest TV characters ever created.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Sat May 11, 2019 6:16 pm

Just started Colony. Good so far.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Sat May 11, 2019 6:30 pm

424cat wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:31 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:42 pm
424cat wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:05 pm
Jester wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:06 am
I have been watching Longmire.
Longmire was a "top shelf" show. I grew up in Wy and Mt near a couple of reservations, took me back to my youth.
Where in MT, my friend? I spent large portions of my youthful summers in Joliet and Belfry, family in Cody and Jackson Hole (natives I'm afraid, not rich uns).

Sorry to hijack. I just have a warm spot for the west, probably because I am not a true native.
Billings when I was a little older. In my younger days I did a lot of elk hunting south of Cody, in the Shoshone National forest closer to Meeteese.
We stayed in Billings one night. When we woke up someone told us to be careful outside, a bear was spotted walking around town.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Sat May 11, 2019 6:31 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:34 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:00 pm
The Highwaymen. Highly recommended.
This is a really good flick, by the way..
I wasn't sure about it, but I will check it out now.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad

Post by JimVH » Sat May 11, 2019 6:41 pm

Kerdy wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:31 pm
JimVH wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:
Good to see you around, bud.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Fri May 17, 2019 7:13 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:41 pm
Kerdy wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:31 pm
JimVH wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:
Good to see you around, bud.
Thanks!

I watched it and liked it.

FredS
King Fredrik
King Fredrik

Post by FredS » Mon May 20, 2019 8:42 am

Prodigy.

That type of movie isn't normally our thing, but it was a dreary Sunday afternoon yesterday, and we know the kid who wrote and directed it, so we gave it a whirl.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad

Post by JimVH » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:11 am

Wu Assassins

Ten episode series, mystical assassins, movie-style martial arts. It's like Bruce Lee meets Supernatural.

I don't know that it's gold, but it was entertaining. I give it 3.75/5 karate chops.

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:01 pm

IDK if it's been said already, but it can't be overstated - BREAKING BAD. One of my all-time favorite television series.
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:29 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:11 am
Wu Assassins

Ten episode series, mystical assassins, movie-style martial arts. It's like Bruce Lee meets Supernatural.

I don't know that it's gold, but it was entertaining. I give it 3.75/5 karate chops.
One more episode to finish up season one on this. Gets my Kung Fu needs met when I come home for lunch. Jim, have you watched Bleach yet on Netflix? Highly recommended by a skateboarder you know.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad

Post by JimVH » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:11 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:29 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:11 am
Wu Assassins

One more episode to finish up season one on this. Gets my Kung Fu needs met when I come home for lunch. Jim, have you watched Bleach yet on Netflix? Highly recommended by a skateboarder you know.
Not familiar with Bleach. I'll look it up.

TNLawPiper
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:37 pm

I just finished W1A, which is a very British satire of corporate life, full of inside jokes about the UK and the BBC, in particular. Would recommend.
Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.

ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:56 pm

Living With Yourself.

Paul Rudd and Aisling Bea star in it.

"A man who is burned out on life and love undergoes a mysterious treatment, only to discover that he has been replaced by a better version of himself."

It's interesting. Enjoying it a lot.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:11 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:56 pm
Living With Yourself.

Paul Rudd and Aisling Bea star in it.

"A man who is burned out on life and love undergoes a mysterious treatment, only to discover that he has been replaced by a better version of himself."

It's interesting. Enjoying it a lot.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Just watched the first two episodes last night. Pretty intriguing so far.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:29 pm

The gold is dwindling. Discussions are brewing in the house to cut Netflix from the budget.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"It's funny how Big-Pharma was so evil until now." -Norm MacDonald

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:04 am

Getting back into Black Mirror after a long hiatus. Watching S4E2 “Arkangel” right now, in the garage while I smoke a cigar. Started watching Season 4 this week. I used to watch it with my wife, but she decided she was creeped out by the show. I had ended up watching the back half of s3 by myself. There's lots of stuff we enjoy watching together still (like Downton Abbey, lately), but I'm so used to watching TV with her that it's not as much fun when I don't have someone to share the experience with. I know, this is sappy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:35 am

Jester wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:29 pm
The gold is dwindling. Discussions are brewing in the house to cut Netflix from the budget.
The best thing about Netflix was that it became a catch all (or at least a catch most) for all the shows you wanted but didn't want to pay out the arse for for cable or satellite. A one stop shop. But now everyone is getting their own streaming service and pulling their content from the catch all places like Netflix and Hulu.

Disney+ is good, because they have a huge catalog that extends across all ages of the family. But I don't know if any other network will have more than 3-5 good shows (pulled from Netflix) on their streaming sites to sustain anything. Even having 3 streaming services seems like almost too much now, even though it's crazy cheaper than before.

That said, I just watched the first episode of a show I'm going to go ahead and call Gold. It's called Medical-Police. It's basically a spoof show about doctors who become secret agents for the CDC. They take all of the cop and doctor show stereotypes and turn it up to 11. If you've ever watched Parks and Rec or Brooklyn 99 you'll be familiar with the style of comedy and some of the actors.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis