The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:25 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:12 pm
Tying is a sickness. I saw a picture today at work and the first thing I thought was "That would be a cool streamer". So I did a little prototyping (goofing off) when I got home.

The fly:
Size 2 Hook
Foam body
Mylar cord sheath

The inspiration:

Thoughts:
Too much tail.
Mylar is more transparent than I guessed. I should have been more mindful of the thread wrap pattern.
I'm going to fish it and see what happens.
(Just so the original doesn’t get lost, and yes, it’s a sickness - a kind of divine madness.)
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:46 am

JimVH wrote:
Tying is a sickness. I saw a picture today at work and the first thing I thought was "That would be a cool streamer". . .
Idenit? I have dozens (OK hundreds) of flies I tied just because I saw some sexy new pattern on the internet. I don't how geezers like Steve got by in the old days when the best they had were a few books with only a few dozen tried and true patterns.
JimVH wrote:
Mylar is more transparent than I guessed. I should have been more mindful of the thread wrap pattern.
You can use that translucency to your advantage. Blood and guts of real minnows sometimes show through so you can use black/gray and red thread to create a very realistic fly. Not that the fish care all that much, but it's fun to try different things. It's also helpful to dunk your first fly in a glass of water to see what it looks like wet. Shrimp or scud patterns with light colored dubbing look cool with gray, red, or orange thread showing through as 'veins'.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:56 am

Wow. Agreed that your tail is too long, but you’ve captured the essence of the rooster’s stance wonderfully. Nice.

Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:04 am

Came across this filing cabinet amongst a host of things at the Ranch that we have no use for and was told I could have it. Looks like it was used for organizing 35mm slides. I’m putting it to good use for hooks, yarn, thread, beads... you get the idea.

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:58 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:04 am
Came across this filing cabinet amongst a host of things at the Ranch that we have no use for and was told I could have it. Looks like it was used for organizing 35mm slides. I’m putting it to good use for hooks, yarn, thread, beads... you get the idea.

Man, that is fantastic!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:32 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:58 am
Man, that is fantastic!
I'll say. Rita has been begging me to find something to get my stuff better organized.

Great find, Gabe.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:42 pm

Somehow David McPhail makes it look so much easier... first attempt.

Yes, it’s monstrous.
Sola Deo Gloria

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:16 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:58 am
Gabriel wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:04 am

Man, that is fantastic!
That is what that was built for...the manufacturer just didn't know it. Congrats on a great find
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:28 pm

Mrs Gabriel and little ms gabriel were at Michael’s getting some yarning supplies and found me some guinea feathers :)

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:28 pm
Mrs Gabriel and little ms gabriel were at Michael’s getting some yarning supplies and found me some guinea feathers :)

Love me some guinea fowl feathers!