Airing Out A New Tin Like A Bottle Of Wine

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Airing Out A New Tin Like A Bottle Of Wine

Post by Goose55 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:35 am

an excerpt from a adapted poem of Browning, Durangopipe created and posted earlier,...

"goose smoked his pipes
a bird in flight
with elegance and grace

"he aired his tins
confessed his sins
and puffed, a gentle pace."

It's good, fellas.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:58 am

From "Tripjoker's" TobaccoReviews.com review of G. L. Pease - Fillmore (Fog City Selection)

"One of the things that I think a lot of smokers do not realize is that tobacco shares a lot in common with wine. The better it is, the fussier it can be. By that I mean you can always rip open a pouch of drugstore blend and you get what you get, good or bad. The point is, it probably is as good as it's gonna get at the moment of opening.

"The opposite is true with the fine blends offered by many, such as Pease and the like. I have found through careful experimentation, that fine tobacco likes to breathe just as fine wine likes to do. It becomes "dumb" in the tin. It needs oxygen to "open" correctly so that all of the nuances can be enjoyed and perceived.

"It also generally comes too wet. This is a precaution for tin preservation. A fine tobacco should have a chance to rest once opened. By all means, give it a try, but don't put a lot of stock in that initial bowl 5 minutes after opening the tin. That kind of haste works with peanut butter, but not fine tobacco.

"My general experience is that I pop the tin and leave it uncovered for an hour or so. Then I replace the lid and let it sit for about a week or two, opening the tin briefly for a few minutes every few days. After about two to three weeks, the tobacco is almost without fail, stunning! I rarely experience excess moisture and am assured of smoking nearly every bowl to the bottom dryly.

"Well, that's all the preaching that I have in me today. I hope I have helped some and not offended anyone. On with the review."
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:52 pm

"...fine tobacco likes to breathe just as fine wine likes to do. It becomes "dumb" in the tin. It needs oxygen to "open" correctly so that all of the nuances can be enjoyed and perceived."

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:10 pm

How about drinking a bottle of wine while the tobacco airs out?
A win-win
Invite some cheese to the party to keep the wine in line and it's a win-win-win! :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:10 pm
A win-win
Invite some cheese to the party to keep the wine in line and it's a win-win-win! :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:
Takes about a week or more for a cracked tin to decant. Many bottles of wine, and lots of cheese. Extra sharp white cheddar.

I well remember my very first bowl of McClelland Aurora. It was awful. Bland, harsh, flavorless. A week later, all of a sudden it became very very good. What happened?

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:13 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:53 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:10 pm
A win-win
Takes about a week or more for a cracked tin to decant. Many bottles of wine, and lots of cheese. Extra sharp white cheddar.

I well remember my very first bowl of McClelland Aurora. It was awful. Bland, harsh, flavorless. A week later, all of a sudden it became very very good. What happened?
Part of the legend that was McClelland!
Perhaps someday, somewhere, pipe-men will tell tales and sing ballads about the Legendary McClallands
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."