A Great Man of God died yesterday

We never get tired of hearing these tales.
Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

A Great Man of God died yesterday

Post by Winton » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:30 am

You have never met Ralph, but he is in heaven now. He spent his early youth as a drunk, in every sense. He went to the rescue mission, met God and his life changed. Eventually, he became part of the staff there. After he retired from there, he became the visitation pastor of our church. A year or two ago he finally "retired" from that also. Actually, he kept doing the work, but wouldn't take pay anymore.

Yesterday, while we are experiencing single digit temps, he was out visiting the sick and elderly of our church. He slipped and fell, and later died in the ER from something. He had lots of medical issues, since he was in his early 90's. He was the most humble man I have ever met.

If you want to know more, here is the link to his story on UnShackled.

https://unshackled.org/program/ralph-brooker/

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: A Great Man of God died yesterday

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:19 am

Winton wrote:You have never met Ralph, but he is in heaven now. He spent his early youth as a drunk, in every sense. He went to the rescue mission, met God and his life changed. Eventually, he became part of the staff there. After he retired from there, he became the visitation pastor of our church. A year or two ago he finally "retired" from that also. Actually, he kept doing the work, but wouldn't take pay anymore.

Yesterday, while we are experiencing single digit temps, he was out visiting the sick and elderly of our church. He slipped and fell, and later died in the ER from something. He had lots of medical issues, since he was in his early 90's. He was the most humble man I have ever met.

Thanks for sharing this, Winton. What a message of hope! While his death is tragic, going in the service of others is very noble. You were lucky to know him.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:36 am

+JMJ+

Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:35 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Winton wrote:You have never met Ralph, but he is in heaven now. He spent his early youth as a drunk, in every sense. He went to the rescue mission, met God and his life changed. Eventually, he became part of the staff there. After he retired from there, he became the visitation pastor of our church. A year or two ago he finally "retired" from that also. Actually, he kept doing the work, but wouldn't take pay anymore.

Thanks for sharing this, Winton. What a message of hope! While his death is tragic, going in the service of others is very noble. You were lucky to know him.
Here. Here. I second that.

His earthly journey with God ended well.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Dr Sinclair
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Dr Sinclair » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:57 pm

There are those who are ministers and those that are in the ministry. Sadly, many see ministry as what they do, not who they are. Your friend was truly a minister; it was who he was, not just what he did. He had a genuine heart for others. It seems that men like this are becoming few and far between. I know there are many who view it as an occupation, looking for the biggest paycheck and the best benefits. I have no doubt he was welcomed with; "Well done, good and faithful servant".