Garden Thread - 2018

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Garden Thread - 2018

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:52 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:03 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:13 am
Hovannes wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:53 pm
I finally got one of the beds ready
I trans planted
6x Jalapenos
6x Italian, and
3x Sushito peppers, plus
1x Brandywine
1x San Marzano
1x Early Choice
1x Ace
so I'm 2 for 2 hybrid & heirlooms in the tomato dept.

If I can squeeze in 2x Armenian cucumbers and 2x Japanese eggplants, it'll be golden.
That's a big bed. Nice variety.

We have numerous volunteer pumpkin vines coming up from last fall's pumpkin that was thrown into fallow garden area. I'm debating whether to leave them or pull them up.
And I still have another bed the same size at my disposal, plus a smaller bed which I'm going to split into two for logistical reasons. although I probably won't get that job finished until later this summer.
Nice indeed. My only remaining spare garden area is being saved for okra, which I'll probly plant late next month or maybe even June.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:44 am

I'm making a small irrigation ring out of very flexible plumbing PVC that I can attach a garden hose to, in order to deeply liquid feed Palm Food to one of the two Pindo Palms out in the median bewteen the curb and sidewalk. I have a couple Rubbermaid Brute plastic 33 gallon barrels fitted w/ spigots so I can create batches of treated water for slow drenching.

This Palm has had issues for a long time (mainly a poor root system) and this year I am trying a new treatment that began last fall with Alka Liche applied deeply to penetrate and condition the very hard Caliche soil we have here in some areas. Earlier this late winter/ early spring I followed up on that by dripping slowly, Fertilome's Root Stimulator tight around the base of the palm with a soaker hose. Made three applications 14 days apart. I will give the palm just one application of the liquid Palm Food this Spring, and then again in late summer, so as not to create too much heat in the root zone during the summer. We shall see what the results will be this year. Hoping for a lot more healthy new fronds, and for it to stay that way. It's been a project.

Late next fall I will treat the soil again with the Alka Liche soil conditioner to start this process all over again to get and keep that palm healthy at last.

Home ownership is a lot of work. :dance:
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:01 am

Two years ago I planted two Desert Museum Palo Verdes to shade the kitchen windows. At the height of summer they are too far South to cover one of the windows, so last year I planted another Palo Verde.

The first two are growing nicely but the third is having a hard time trying to catch up, probably due to our watering restrictions.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:13 am

I'm thinking of making a cistern for the back yard, next to the garden, to catch rain to use for watering, etc. I have the elevated frame of an old deer feeder to mount it on. I presume fine mesh screen will keep it free of mosquito larvae and other critters.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri May 04, 2018 7:37 am

I've picked abt a gallon of blackberries so far. No cobbler yet, but it's coming soon.
Otherwise I think I need some bees. There's plenty of blooms on everything else, but no fruit. Some have said it's because of the cool temps we've been having, but I don't think so.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri May 04, 2018 8:29 am

I finally found a Caspian and planted it. Now it has to play ketchup (see what I did there?) with the other 'maters.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun May 06, 2018 9:00 am

Yesterday I hand pollinated the tomato and pepper blooms.

Neither of the pear trees even bloomed, and this makes two years now. I was thinking I'd pull them up next spring if no blooms. But I'm also thinking of finding some good bearing trees, cut some limbs, and graft them onto my trees next winter. I need to read up on grafting.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun May 06, 2018 12:34 pm

The Zucchinis have taken a hit---I had eight each of greens and yellows---I'm down to two greens and six yellows.
I'm very curious as to what's going on.
Zucchinis usually grow like weeds around here.
The peppers and tomatoes have blossomed along with the Japanese eggplants and tomatoes (three green ones on the Early Choice and I found a small Japanese eggplant peaking out at me yesterday!)

With Maggie the horse gone, I've switched to rabbit manure courtesy of my daughter's bunny. It seems to be enriching the soil well.

tim_witten
Congregation
Congregation

Post by tim_witten » Mon May 07, 2018 10:53 am

I'll be working to get my daughter's frames in order this evening. Hopefully, we will get them planted before the rain on Thursday.

I built her two 4x4 frames and we loosely following the Square Foot method.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri May 11, 2018 1:01 pm

Right now, everything is in bloom in Southern Indiana:

Here's some of my wife's plants:
Peony, the Hoosier State Flower. In the background are some geraniums and petunias she just planted in the window boxes.

Lilac

Climatis

ImageImage
Iris. The one on the right was my dad's favorite.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri May 11, 2018 6:36 pm

All my tomatoes have green fruit, except for the Brandywine, which has blossoms :D

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu May 17, 2018 8:00 am

Very impressive, Cleon. Beautiful flowers.

-===================================-

I sprayed copper fungicide on the pear trees a couple days ago, and sprayed the young plum tree while I was at it. This morning it appears that I may have damaged it in doing so. Leaves are turning yellow and dropping off. I'll keep on watering it and hope I didn't kill it.

Meanwhile, yesterday I dug up a small sassafras tree at my sister's house, and I'll plant it today behind the garage.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu May 17, 2018 9:49 pm

One mature Shushito pepper revealed it's self today. Several immature yellow zucchinis and a few immature eggplants as well, along with quite a few green tomatoes, both Early Choice and San Marzanos.
On the trees there a several white pomegranates, quince, and still some Meyer lemons from last year, No figs or white nectarines yet thoughThe desert museum Palo Verdes are in bloom as are the roses and peonies, but the camellias, gardenias, and magnolia are past.
What a strange year!

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:55 pm

Picking jalapenos to beat the band. Pulled up all of the squash and bean plants, and planted okra. Tomatoes are being invaded by stink bugs. I'm having to pick them before they're ripe.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Tomatoes, peppers, and a pumpkin vine that's taking over.

These tomato plants were labeled "Beefsteak", but they're obviously cherry tomatoes. But they're some of the best tasting I've ever had.

Since the stink bug invasion I've been just picking everything; getting ready to make picante sauce. Some of the jalapenos turned out to be what appears to be some other pepper. They're similar in color, fatter like a bell pepper, and grow with pointed end pointing up instead of downward.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:30 am

The garden is really cranking out the veggies now! I harvested the first two tomatoes yesterday---San Marzanos!
The yellow zucchini I planted is disappointing. Tough & tasteless but very productive.
I may pull them out to save on water, I'm thinking.
49'ers are really good but I couldn't find any this year.

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:31 pm

I'm rather jealous of all you folks from warmer climates.

I spent a week away from my garden, and some things got away from me a bit. My onions and carrots have been invaded by weeds that are just as tall as they are. The onions are faring ok with the weeding. The carrots, not as much as the weeds have intertangled with the roots of the carrots and they're all laying flat after I weed around them. If they don't live through it, I have some seeds left, and I may just have some late carrots. My plan is to mulch as I weed, however, I seem to have caught something on my trip which kept me inside all day today.

I also have a 100 foot row of green beans about 2 inches tall and 4 zucchini plants that have flowered. I planted 4 water melon plants, but only two have lived to now. I also planted 3 100 foot rows of corn at the same time as the beans. I looked tonight without going into the field, and I saw one little corn stalk. So it may be a bust. My broccoli, brussel sprouts, beets, and peppers all seem to be doing well. I did have a go of radishes, although I think I left them in the ground too long. Going to plant another round and pull them sooner.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:04 pm

Picante sauce brewing today.

Lined up the few jars of salsa I ended up with, plus a few left over peppers I jarred, and discovered a stray tomato. I'll have to find another source for jalapenos next year; these are so mild I had to add a little red pepper to get at least a little kick.

I'm still not sure what kind of peppers some of my plants are. The peppers are fatter, and grow pointing up rather than down.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:42 pm

Today I harvested a dozen Earlies and two heirloom---not sure if they're the Brandies or the Caspians---but they're a good size for BLTAs
I pity those who have to buy tomatoes from supermarkets :P
Next year I'll limit myself to three heirlooms as I've run out of space in my raised beds! Something was genetically wrong with the yellow and the green Zucchinis, one the the Japanese Eggplants and two of the Armenian cucumbers so I composted them. The tomatoes have crowded out the peppers and I have yet to see a single Jalapeno!
I dusted with Sevin as the tomato worms were running amuck. I hate to do that, be we aren't sharing with those green guys :twisted: I've already seen some San Marzanos damaged! BTW I've got quite a few San Marzanos in the 4.5-5" range. Wow!
I've never had San Marzanos grow that big before!
It must be the rabbit manure I used to build the soil :confused:
Last edited by Hovannes on Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:45 pm

Dang rabbits ate all of my breakfast radishes that weren't in the greenhouse. Bastards.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS