Introduction to Fountain Pens

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Re: Introduction to Fountain Pens

Post by gaining_age » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:41 am

I was going with a main pen and a second pen for a while. For Christmas I received 4 bottles of ink (Noodler's)! I'm going to start adding another pen and writing more.

It is unlikely I'll make much of a dent but I will switch inks-- and I will clean the pen fairly thoroughly. I have a couple small bottles of ink from last Christmas that I'm using now as well. So I could be less careful if I use the smaller bottles and the color is similar enough-- I have taken these little bottles to work.

Ink can accumulate.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:47 am

In my case I plan to just use brown, and use it mostly for my journal. I may get another pen for just black ink at some point. I have no interest in blue or red or other inks.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:20 am

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:19 am
So, some of y'all seem to have collections of ink in the same way some have collections of tobacco. My question is this, isn't it incredibly inconvenient to change ink colors in your pen? Do you just have a pen for each color? I wouldn't mind having a nice black, or other browns, but unless I"m buying more pens to go with them, I'm not seeing the point. What am I missing?

(PS - I'm really loving the Pilot Metropolitan. It is the only pen fountain pen I have, and so far I'm very happy with it.)
I almost always change colors after I use up what is in the cartridge converter. Optionally, you can squirt what is left in the cartridge converter into the sink or back into the bottle (though some people say that you should never put used ink back into the bottle). Clean the pen (see any online video), which just takes a couple of minutes. Then fill the pen with another color.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:21 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:47 am
...I have no interest in blue or red or other inks.
I can't relate™. I probably have 15 bottles in different colors.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:16 pm

I have been carrying this pen daily. It has taken some getting used to, and the bladder doesn't hold as much ink as I would like, but it writes smoothly and when I get good paper to write on, it is a fantastic pen. It is an EsterBrook...not fancy but a solid writer and I love the lever fill...feels "Old School"

Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:46 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:16 pm
I have been carrying this pen daily. It has taken some getting used to, and the bladder doesn't hold as much ink as I would like, but it writes smoothly and when I get good paper to write on, it is a fantastic pen. It is an EsterBrook...not fancy but a solid writer and I love the lever fill...feels "Old School"

Nice!
My mom and dad both used lever-fill pens. For the longest time, I thought that was the only kind that existed.

Kinda takes me back.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:47 am

I got this one as part of a 3 pen buy. The other two are in the same condition, but a little fatter body(I know what that is like :) ) but the bladders are decayed. I was going to sell them at auction, but now I may keep them and have them fitted with new bladders and put them to work too.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:08 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:47 am
I got this one as part of a 3 pen buy. The other two are in the same condition, but a little fatter body(I know what that is like :) ) but the bladders are decayed. I was going to sell them at auction, but now I may keep them and have them fitted with new bladders and put them to work too.
Try to replace the bladder-- you may find it isn't too bad.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:12 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:08 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:47 am
Try to replace the bladder-- you may find it isn't too bad.

I may look for a "How to" on utube
Scott ( aka - Thor )

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:01 pm

I was given a Monteverde Invicia for Christmas and bought a Conklin Duragraph Orange Nights last week with the goulet nib. It's great.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain