An important book, no?
Too important to be out of print.
What's your take on it?

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Re: The Theology of Babette's Feast

Post by Del » Sat May 12, 2018 7:32 am

Stupid me did not even know there was a book. I only heard of the movie.

Pope Francis said that Babette's Feast is his favorite movie. I have been looking for it on Netflix and such, ever since. But is 30 years old, in a foreign language, and there are no superheroes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babette%27s_Feast

From the description, this appears to be a beautiful story about a lifetime of self-sacrificial love. Babette is brilliant as a Mary-figure.

My take: The original short story should be required reading in schools. Better than those awful dystopian things.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Del

Post by Del » Sat May 12, 2018 8:22 am

Fr. Z offers his riffs on Babette's Feast.
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2013/04/pope-fra ... d-liturgy/

(Naturally, to Fr. Z it means that Pope Francis wants us to return to the Latin Mass.)
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat May 12, 2018 9:20 am

Del wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:32 am
Stupid me did not even know there was a book. I only heard of the movie.

Pope Francis said that Babette's Feast is his favorite movie. I have been looking for it on Netflix and such, ever since. But is 30 years old, in a foreign language, and there are no superheroes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babette%27s_Feast

From the description, this appears to be a beautiful story about a lifetime of self-sacrificial love. Babette is brilliant as a Mary-figure.

My take: The original short story should be required reading in schools. Better than those awful dystopian things.
According to the director, the movie intentionally downplays one of the themes contrasting Lutheran piousity to romanism, a theme which had more of a presence in the book. Also the romantic history of the preacher's two daughters isn't treated quite as deeply in the movie---a deeper backstory of their suitors, the music teacher and the Army officer, add mightily to the plot, particularly the officer's dining companion in Paris who murdered Babette's husband and son during the supression of the Paris Commune in 1871

Man, this is a deep story but incredibly rich!