Will not stay lit!

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
arank87
Congregation
Congregation

Will not stay lit!

Post by arank87 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:50 pm

Ok, I know there have been many posts on how to pack and light a pipe. I have read many of them. Nonetheless, I seem to have a very hard time keeping any pipe lit. I tried a new method tonight, the "Swirl" method, and was still only able to keep the pipe lit for maybe 3-4 minutes. The pipe (a MM cob) would burn hot and then die out. That's my general pattern. 3 minutes, hot, out. Uh, I suppose I left the door open for a joke there but I will leave that alone. Anyhoo, I am determined not to give up. I suspect that one of the issues is my tobacco still isn't dry enough but this was Dunhill 965 that has been in a mason jar for about 9 months. It was not moist but not crunchy. I would love some feedback.
Alex "You can call me, Al" Rank

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Re: Will not stay lit!

Post by mont974x4 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:04 pm

What else are you doing when you smoke? If I get distracted then I stop puffing and the pipe goes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed May 16, 2018 8:07 pm

Many years ago, Del said to keep a lighter in one hand and not worry about how many times one relights. This has been good advice.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:09 pm

coco wrote:Many years ago, Del said to keep a lighter in one hand and not worry about how many times one relights. This has been good advice.
This is good advice. Kilted or not.

arank87
Congregation
Congregation

Post by arank87 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:16 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:04 pm
What else are you doing when you smoke? If I get distracted then I stop puffing and the pipe goes out.

Well I think I smoke too fast actually. I used to smoke cigarettes years ago and I still have a little of that in me.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:26 pm

arank87 wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:

Well I think I smoke too fast actually. I used to smoke cigarettes years ago and I still have a little of that in me.
Me too. I was the same when I started the pipe. It was best to be intentional in focusing on the entire pipe process, especially the puffing, in my early days.

Still, a few relights is not a big deal.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed May 16, 2018 9:15 pm

However you pack your pipe, when you're done hold the palm of your hand flat and cover the bowl. Inhale through the unlit pipe. If you can feel a bit of suction going on, your pipe should be efficiently packed.
That should help

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu May 17, 2018 8:55 am

mont974x4 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:09 pm
coco wrote:Many years ago, Del said to keep a lighter in one hand and not worry about how many times one relights. This has been good advice.
This is good advice. Kilted or not.
Still my best advice. Re-lights are part of pipe smoking.

I get 3 or 4 minutes on a light. Then the ash needs to be tamped down, or dumped out... and a touch of flame to get going again. That's normal for pipe smoking.

I favor virginia tobacco, which loves to be smoked slowly.... "almost out." Smoke it too fast, and it bites like a rabid mouse. So occasional re-lights are just part of doing it right.

FYI.... A pipe does smoke longer between lights if the smoker is outdoors and there is a bit of breeze to keep it going. I think the myth of "the pipe that never goes out" comes from a time when farmers and laborers smoked while they worked outdoors.

mont974x4 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:26 pm
arank87 wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Me too. I was the same when I started the pipe. It was best to be intentional in focusing on the entire pipe process, especially the puffing, in my early days.

Still, a few relights is not a big deal.
I believe that the first advice to nearly every new piper problem is "SLOW DOWN!"
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu May 17, 2018 9:24 am

Relax don't do it.
When ya wanna get to it.
Relax don't do it.
When you light yer pipe.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu May 17, 2018 9:34 am

Yup...my Uncle told me when I was a kid, "...If you are ever in a position to hire folks, don't hire a pipe smoker...He already has a full time job" This was usually said as he was fiddling/tamping/relighting his pipe :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

arank87
Congregation
Congregation

Post by arank87 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:11 am

Del wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:55 am

I get 3 or 4 minutes on a light. Then the ash needs to be tamped down, or dumped out... and a touch of flame to get going again. That's normal for pipe smoking.
Well if that’s the way it is then I will just stop worrying and keep smoking! I’m sure I can and will make some improvements to my skill but I will just not worry about delights and enjoy myself more.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu May 17, 2018 12:10 pm

arank87 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:11 am
Del wrote:

Well if that’s the way it is then I will just stop worrying and keep smoking! I’m sure I can and will make some improvements to my skill but I will just not worry about delights and enjoy myself more.
Yes, and don't worry about smoking all the way down to a fine ash either. Sometimes we have unrealistic expectations that ruin the simple enjoyment of pipe smoking.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Del

Post by Del » Fri May 18, 2018 9:09 am

Cleon wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:10 pm
arank87 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:11 am
Del wrote:

Yes, and don't worry about smoking all the way down to a fine ash either. Sometimes we have unrealistic expectations that ruin the simple enjoyment of pipe smoking.
Most of pipe smoking is about enjoying the moment and the flavor. It's about relaxing. Enjoy yourself!

Smoke with a rhythm.... long, slow draws. When the pipe goes out, give it a light tamp to flatten the ash and touch it again with the flame.

Now you are a pipe smoker. Remain confident and relaxed at times. Do not disturb the little children as they stare at you in amazement, blowing smoke like some dragon of myth.
===================================

I have a meerschaum with a very large bowl that I enjoy on long car trips. It is a long smoke -- and all-day-lollipop -- and it also stays lit for a good long time between re-lights.

I have a number of small-bowl pipes which are perfect for smoking virginia flakes. I'm constantly flicking the Bic at these.

I've developed a few rules of thumb:

- Large bowls burn long.
- Small bowls require more re-lights.

- Shag and fine cuts burn burn fast and stay lit.
- broken flake is like tightly packed tobacco, goes out often.

- Sticky aromatics with lots of propylene glycol do not stay lit well. It gets worse as condensation collects in the bowl. (When flame is applied, it goes "fizzle-pop.")
- Dry, natural tobaccos stay lit easier.

- Outdoor breezes help keep the flame alive.
- Smoking in a high wind turns your pipe into a hot forge capable of smelting iron ore.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:52 am

arank87 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:50 pm
Ok, I know there have been many posts on how to pack and light a pipe. I have read many of them. Nonetheless, I seem to have a very hard time keeping any pipe lit. I tried a new method tonight, the "Swirl" method, and was still only able to keep the pipe lit for maybe 3-4 minutes. The pipe (a MM cob) would burn hot and then die out. That's my general pattern. 3 minutes, hot, out. Uh, I suppose I left the door open for a joke there but I will leave that alone. Anyhoo, I am determined not to give up. I suspect that one of the issues is my tobacco still isn't dry enough but this was Dunhill 965 that has been in a mason jar for about 9 months. It was not moist but not crunchy. I would love some feedback.
I smoke a lot of rubbed out flake tobacco and sometimes the tobacco is too moist to load, so on a plate I zap it in the microwave for 10 - 15 seconds. With a few minutes airing it is just right. What I do then may make a difference for you. Because rubbing out the flakes creates some small crumbles, I then sift the tobacco in a medium grit colander. I then pack the larger pieces in the bottom and the smalls on top, Sort of works like an upsidedown campfire, with kindling on top. I seldom need to relight.

Its also important to tamp regularly in order to keep the ember in touch with the unburned tobacco underneath.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri May 18, 2018 11:46 am

Goose55 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:52 am
arank87 wrote:
I smoke a lot of rubbed out flake tobacco and sometimes the tobacco is too moist to load, so on a plate I zap it in the microwave for 10 - 15 seconds. With a few minutes airing it is just right. What I do then may make a difference for you. Because rubbing out the flakes creates some small crumbles, I then sift the tobacco in a medium grit colander. I then pack the larger pieces in the bottom and the smalls on top, Sort of works like an upsidedown campfire, with kindling on top. I seldom need to relight.

Its also important to tamp regularly in order to keep the ember in touch with the unburned tobacco underneath.
Just like the old-timers did it.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

arank87
Congregation
Congregation

Post by arank87 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:40 pm

Some great advice. Thank you all. Tonight I fired up a new Bruyere St Claude billiard with 1Q and chased my daughter around the yard. I thought very little about the mechanics of smoking and enjoyed myself very much. I set the pipe down, put her to bed, and came back out to finish the bowl. I just smoked the dang thing and stopped worrying. I'm so glad to know that I'm not botching the whole affair. Also I love 1Q....a lot.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:54 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:46 am
Goose55 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:52 am
arank87 wrote:

Just like the old-timers did it.
Yup
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri May 18, 2018 9:35 pm

Throw away the cOB.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The Guacamole yoda was life changing " ~ John-Boy

arank87
Congregation
Congregation

Post by arank87 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:35 pm
Throw away the cOB.
You think? I’m not that attached to it I guess. Are you not a cob fan or do you just think it’s worn out?

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sat May 19, 2018 4:11 am

Don't mind Jocose. He's a cob hater. Cobs are great, especially when you're enjoying your pipe in situations where your pipe could meet an unexpected demise like fishing, boating, boxing, etc.

Good advice already given. Just smoke your pipes and enjoy. Don't sweat relights. As you get better at packing, tending to the ember, and puffing, relights will often become less frequent. On occassion, you may even experience a magical bowl that practically smokes itself with few or no relights. Savor those moments but don't expect them. Relights occur for me most often towards the bottom of the bowl due to two things: moisture and lack of O2. For moisture (especially with aromatics like 1Q) you can either just end the smoke and dump it out or apply flame more aggressively to dry it out and get it going again. For lack of O2 due to over-tamping or ash buildup, you can dump the excess ash and relight like Del suggested or take the spoon end of your tamper and make a hole in the center of the ash so air can reach the ember and relight.

Most importantly, though, don't sweat it. You're doing fine.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne