The OFG's Sunday Afternoon At The Range

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re: The OFG's Sunday Afternoon At The Range

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:16 pm

joegoat wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:23 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:00 pm
joegoat wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:26 am
Jocose wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:33 pm
GLOCK=PERFECTION
I'd bet my life on the fact that they'll work. I usually carry either a 26 or a 19. I admire the design for its simplicity, but beyond that they're nothing special. There are lots of other guns in this world with wonderful records of reliability and a bit of elegance.
Yeah, guns such as double action deeply blued revolvers like the S&W Model 10. :D

Revolvers are coming back in vogue in California. :dance:
Which California? :lol:
The California. :wink:

Ten years ago in California, revolvers were most likely found on one or two lower shelves off to the side in most gun shops. Half of those revolvers were single action revolvers primarily of interest to the then popular cowboy action shooters. Then along came “THE ROSTER.” I won’t go into detail about what that is other than to say that fewer and fewer autoloading pistols are mentioned therein every year as manufacturers update and market current and new designs who cannot, or will not make them compliant for “THE ROSTER.” A model must be approved on THE ROSTER in order to be sold new at a retail establishment. In the next few years it’s entirely feasible that nearly all models approved on THE ROSTER will be revolvers because they do not require all the same features for approval.

The result is that in the last couple of years more and more double action revolvers are showing up on more shelves and gun clerks are happy to push revolvers on new shooters who don’t harbor as much negativety toward them as the nutty tacticool shooters.

I personally always liked and preferred revolvers, especially Smith and Wesson’s. :D

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:25 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:16 pm
joegoat wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:23 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:00 pm
joegoat wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:26 am
Jocose wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:33 pm
GLOCK=PERFECTION
I'd bet my life on the fact that they'll work. I usually carry either a 26 or a 19. I admire the design for its simplicity, but beyond that they're nothing special. There are lots of other guns in this world with wonderful records of reliability and a bit of elegance.
Yeah, guns such as double action deeply blued revolvers like the S&W Model 10. :D

Revolvers are coming back in vogue in California. :dance:
Which California? :lol:
The California. :wink:

Ten years ago in California, revolvers were most likely found on one or two lower shelves off to the side in most gun shops. Half of those revolvers were single action revolvers primarily of interest to the then popular cowboy action shooters. Then along came “THE ROSTER.” I won’t go into detail about what that is other than to say that fewer and fewer autoloading pistols are mentioned therein every year as manufacturers update and market current and new designs who cannot, or will not make them compliant for “THE ROSTER.” A model must be approved on THE ROSTER in order to be sold new at a retail establishment. In the next few years it’s entirely feasible that nearly all models approved on THE ROSTER will be revolvers because they do not require all the same features for approval.

The result is that in the last couple of years more and more double action revolvers are showing up on more shelves and gun clerks are happy to push revolvers on new shooters who don’t harbor as much negativety toward them as the nutty tacticool shooters.

I personally always liked and preferred revolvers, especially Smith and Wesson’s. :D
I spent 4 years in the people's republic of maryland. They also had "A ROSTER." The funny thing is, when their "2015 assault weapon ban" went into effect the AK 47 and all variants were banned, however pistol versions of the AK 47 were approved for "THE ROSTER" after the ban took effect... There are several other examples of loopholes in that law, but I digress.
Smiths are my favorite among revolvers. Rugers are a close second. I've never liked the colt style cylinder latch, but the lines of the colts are very nice. A local shop has a nickle official police in the their case. It made me stop and think for a minute.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:48 pm

Even in Colorado, where a wide selection of auto-loading handguns is still available, I own and prefer a revolver.

My primary interest these days is shooting double barrel shotguns.
For many years I’ve plinked and shot targets and game with bolt-action rifles that were well suited to my needs.

Autoloaders never really interested me. Neither did handguns, but I could see their usefulness for occasional carry in the woods if I wasn’t hunting and carrying a rifle or shotgun.

I have owned a Ruger Security Six in .357 magnum for years.
I train with the revolver periodically but I’d rather spend my range time doing other things.

Mine is set up like this one, with a Pachmayr grip:

My belief is that autoloading handguns require more regular training, and handgun instructors have confirmed this for me. If you enjoy shooting handguns and shoot them often, an autoloader is probably a good choice for you.

For me, the simplicity and reliability of a revolver is preferable.

Having said that, our range is closed until it rains and fire restrictions are lifted, dammit.
I’d begun shooting clays again with my buddies every Friday.

:(
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:15 am

I like Smith's and would say that they are the top of the revolver game. Then again my daily carry is the Glock of the revolver world, a Ruger LCR in .357. It may be ugly but it is such a great gun.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:15 am

My CCW:

Mine is in .45LC.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:34 am

UncleBob wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:15 am
My CCW:

Mine is in .45LC.
Nice! A little heavy for IWB but very nice.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:59 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:15 am
I like Smith's and would say that they are the top of the revolver game. Then again my daily carry is the Glock of the revolver world, a Ruger LCR in .357. It may be ugly but it is such a great gun.
I have one in 38 special +P. It's not elegant, but it visually appeals to me for some strange reason. It may be the way they flute the cylinder. The LCR took the place of my S&W 442 in the rotation. They're great shooters and great carriers. I carry it at least a couple times a week.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis