Prop Jobs

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Prop Jobs

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:28 pm

The end of an era, at least for the big four airlines operating in the USA
https://crankyflier.com/2018/07/05/as-o ... ir-brands/

Briefly, when I was a kid, I got to ride on a bunch of prop jobs, some turbo props, some recips

Fokker F-27
Convair 440
Martin 404
Douglas DC-7
Lockheed Constellation
DeHavilland Dash-8
Embrair Bandit
Shorts 340

What wonderful memories! The sensual stimulation those old planes provided weren't for the feint of heart!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Prop Jobs

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:54 pm

I've flown in a couple or 3 different DeHavilland models including the old Twin Otters, at least one Bombardier, and some others that I can't remember. Some were very small planes, others quite large. I always thought it was real flying, as opposed to jets. I like the various pitches the props make as the rpms are changed. Take offs and landings seem more fun also.

I have several stories, too long for a post here, but I'll at least say that the roughest scariest flight I've ever been on was in a Twin Otter. That plane would turn sideways and back so hard, the cockpit doors would fly open and then slam shut. The seatbelts did no good, and everyone was hanging on. Totally dark outside except for the flashes of lightning, I didn't realize we were landing until we touched down.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:38 am

Years ago I had a buddy who had a DeHavilland Beaver. We flew several times and I wanted to get my license, but there was no way I could swing the $$. Then 5 years later I was working with a guy who had a plane and he wanted another and he knew I had an interest, so he took me up in his plane several times, and then pitched us co-owning a plane that he wanted to buy, a Cesna 180 tail dragger. He was loaded with $$, I was making a cops wage with 2 teenagers in the house...I love to fly and a small "Prop-Job" is lots of fun.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:21 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:38 am
Years ago I had a buddy who had a DeHavilland Beaver. We flew several times and I wanted to get my license, but there was no way I could swing the $$. Then 5 years later I was working with a guy who had a plane and he wanted another and he knew I had an interest, so he took me up in his plane several times, and then pitched us co-owning a plane that he wanted to buy, a Cesna 180 tail dragger. He was loaded with $$, I was making a cops wage with 2 teenagers in the house...I love to fly and a small "Prop-Job" is lots of fun.
The 180 is a neat plane but financially out of my league (constant speed props add serious $$ to the expense of the annuals!) I had a PA-18 which was a blast---flew it just about all over Alaska & western USA. Never did the island hop down the Caribbean though, much to my poverty, but I can't complain. I've been blessed.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:48 am

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:21 am
Bloodhound wrote:
The 180 is a neat plane but financially out of my league (constant speed props add serious $$ to the expense of the annuals!) I had a PA-18 which was a blast---flew it just about all over Alaska & western USA. Never did the island hop down the Caribbean though, much to my poverty, but I can't complain. I've been blessed.
I looked at the plane and it looked nice...My buy-in would have been $22,000 and I didn't even have my pilot's license...I didn't even discuss it with my wife.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:34 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:48 am
Hovannes wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:21 am
Bloodhound wrote:
I looked at the plane and it looked nice...My buy-in would have been $22,000 and I didn't even have my pilot's license...I didn't even discuss it with my wife.
When I was learning how to fly. a bunch of like minded guys could go in on a 150 with plenty of time left on the engine. These could be found for under 10K with a good Nav/Com. The only thing to pay for would be an instructor, fuel & tie-down. A benevolent A&P would sign off the annual if we did the work of unscrewing the inspection plates and reinstalling them, plus paying the FAA inspector's fee. Divvied up 4 ways it was very affordable scheme to obtain a Private SEL. 8)

Sledin
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Sledin » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:28 pm

Bloodhound wrote:Years ago I had a buddy who had a DeHavilland Beaver. We flew several times and I wanted to get my license, but there was no way I could swing the $$. Then 5 years later I was working with a guy who had a plane and he wanted another and he knew I had an interest, so he took me up in his plane several times, and then pitched us co-owning a plane that he wanted to buy, a Cesna 180 tail dragger. He was loaded with $$, I was making a cops wage with 2 teenagers in the house...I love to fly and a small "Prop-Job" is lots of fun.
My father in-law bought a Bearhawk patrol from a cops estate, it was being built from scratch and was at the point that a quick build would have been.
It should be a nice plane once it's done, he still has a PA-11 cub with floats and skis.
He sold his Grumman Cheetah because of the cost of annuals.

My brother in law flys Q400 out of Toronto's Billy Bishop airport, they have expanded the airport but only props can take off there now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:47 am

I just remembered that I'd been a passenger on the twin Otter back in the 80's so I wanted to add that to the list.
Olivia built some very fine aircraft!

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:07 am

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:01 am