The Dangerous Thread for Boys

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:08 am

Cleon wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:34 am
I love these kinds of stories. Maybe we should compile them in a thread of their own.
Post stories of your dangerous adventures as a little boy (or girl), such as stories of firecrackers, BB guns, fast cars, dynamite...
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Re: The Dangerous Thread for Boys

Post by coco » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:09 am

Jocose wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:39 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:34 pm
Jocose wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:23 pm
FredS wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:29 pm
One summer, when I was perhaps 10 years old, I found that I could cut a cap from the rolls I'd buy for my pistol and put it between two bolts connected by a nut and make a small bomb. Toss it up in the air and it'd make a satisfying pop when it hit the ground. I found I could get a pretty good bang if I put a half dozen caps in there. There were die cast metal toys on the market that looked like little bombs with fins that functioned the same, but weren't suitable for my ultimate goal. When the 4th of July rolled 'round I unrolled a dozen firecrackers and emptied the powder in to my bomb and adjusted the bolts until I felt just the right pressure. I was using half inch diameter bolts and it worked exceptionally well. In fact it blew completely apart and one of the projectiles barely missed me. Unfortunately, I was in our basement (where the nuts and bolts were stored on dad's workbench) and some of the shrapnel went through the sheet metal duct coming out of the furnace. The old man didn't notice it for quite a while but I fessed up when he asked about it.

Fun times.

I remember you telling this story years ago.
I used to have a cap bomb. I would load it and drop it from the roof and scare family members and visitors...till my mom took it way. The couldn't keep me off the roof, so I found other ways to continue to scare family and visitors.
I used to have a metal one like that pictured. Then they went cheap and used a plastic body with the metal head that didnt work all that well.

I remember throwing firecrackers and Ladyfingers would scare people better.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:10 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:38 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:39 pm
When I was a kid I took a bus into Manhattan, then the 8th Ave. subway to a surplus store down near Canal St. I bought the finned empty metal shell of a 4’ long dummy bomb used for bombing practice. Rode toward home with it on the subway. Walked through the Port Authority bus terminal struggling with it. Sat on the bus with it until I got about a block from home, got off the bus then walked down the street with it to our apartment.

It was almost as big as I was.

It was winter.

I put a loud, windup alarm clock inside it and stuck it at angle in a snowdrift near the sidewalk outside our window and watched as people walking by became concerned.

What do kids do for fun now?
Certainly nothing as violent and sadistic as planting fake bombs. That's the sort of thing that, left unchecked, creates psychopathic serial killers.

Now they play harmless video games where they earn points by killing people.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:11 am

Cleon wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:34 am
When I was about a boy I made a super long wick about three feet long out of a bunch of firecrackers. My parents had just put new carpet in my bedroom. I was so excited, I guess I didn't realize my surroundings, that I laid it all out on my bedroom floor and lit it. I watched in horror as my new carpet melted with each passing second. Nothing I could do. Then, at the end, it just fizzled. Whew. I spent a long time on my knees with Mom's sewing shears strategically cutting out every little piece of melted tuft. It all looked pretty good by the time I was done.

I was always a little pyro. Our bathroom was covered in ceramic tile. My mom frequently kept a candle burning in the bathroom. She always left her Aquanet on the vanity. How could I resist? I spent a lot of time in that bathroom flame throwing and coating the walls with different designs in fire. She'd come by and say, "What's that smell?". A simple, "Aw, nothing Ma" always sufficed. To this day I don't really know if she never caught on or if she was just giving me the space to do dangerous things. I'll have to ask her when I see her at lunch today.

I love these kinds of stories. Maybe we should compile them in a thread of their own.

Remember playing war with real BB guns and the "one pump" rule that NoOne ever obeyed, except the new kid?

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:20 am

When I was a teen, we lived in the Mojave Desert North of Lancaster. There were lots of old gold mines and we explored most of them usually with a small flash light and that was it...we never had a major incident. We also used to run and jump over the grease wood bushes...several times only to land next to a coiled Mojave Green rattlesnake...we were not so bright...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:45 am

Jocose wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:39 pm
I remember throwing... Ladyfingers
Thread fail.

:wink:

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:48 am

I think I've told this one. When I was about 6 or 7, maybe younger, my best friend lived three houses down the street. He lived with his single mom who worked all day. The babysitter was a typical teenage girl who cared more about talking on the phone with her friends than watching my buddy. One afternoon I went down to his house to play army men with him and, what do you know, he had not eaten lunch and the babysitter was too busy to care. So, we decided on grilled hot dogs. He got the dogs. We went to the back porch to light the gas grill but couldn't get it lit. So, gas grill, right? GAS grill...we get the gasoline, douse the grill, and drop a match. Wooosh!!! The porch goes up in flames all around us. In a flash it was over. We didn't get hurt. The porch never burned. And NoOne was the wiser. Can't remember what we really had for lunch.

Also, this same friend's dad had left his pellet pistols behind in the garage when he moved out. My buddy had an old black lab that ate a ton of dog food so the garage was full of open bags of dog food and bits of dog food everywhere. This caused a problem with mice. My friend and I would set up a firing line and use his Dad's pellet guns to take shots, in the closed garage (because we didn't want anyone to see), at the mice. It's a wonder we never shot each other because we'd have to take turns rousing the mice from all the junk. We didn't have enough sense to wait until the other person wasn't down range. I remember the most unfair, but most amazing, shot being at the poor mouse that was stuck in the 50lb bag of dog food. The shot went clean through its head, dragging its ear through to the other side like a threaded needle. I can still see it. On top of all this, his Dad left his Red Man chew. So, naturally we partook. I remember coming home sick as a dog and my mother asking me why she thought I was sick. "I don't know", I said. I think she did, but just let me suffer the consequences.
Last edited by Cleon on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:07 am

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

Post by Winton » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:27 am

I grew up next to a swamp. We often would explore it. The water could get as deep as our waist with the mud up to our knees. Thus it was not possible to move quickly. I remember once we explored so far that we came to the other side of the swamp. My brothers decided to walk the roads back home. I foolishly decided to take the swamp route alone. About half way home, I noticed a snake resting on a weed island, looking at me. The snake was a cottonmouth. Very deadly. Also very mean. At that point, I realized that if the snake came at me, there was little chance to defend myself. If he bit me, I would be dead before I got out of the swamp.

Obviously, the snake stayed on his island and I got home. I never did another solo swamp expedition.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:38 am

1968ish: I was at local pond shooting at frogs with my BB gun when a cop rolls in on me. He put my bike and gun in the trunk and took me home. By the grace of God, mom wasn't home. We sat there in the driveway for 10 or 15 minutes as he wrote my name, address and some notes in his book. He finally gave up waiting for a parent to get home, unloaded my stuff, gave me a good finger-wagging warning, and left.

Three days later, the same cop rolls by the house and I'm up in a wooden planter, trying to jimmy open my bedroom window because I'd been locked out. He yelled out his window "Damit Freddie! What the hell are you doing!?" Being on a first name basis with the neighborhood cop probably isn't a good thing, but he knew my name and where I lived, so he helped me get the window open and gave me a leg up to get through the window. By the time I made it around to the front door and opened it to thank him, he'd already gone.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:00 am

We used to build dirt jumps in this clearing in the woods behind our neighborhood and attempted all kinds of stupidness like flips and things, one time I messed up a jump skidded my face across the dirt and my bike got all bent up and then landed on top of me. Had to walk a mile home to get cleaned up, spitting up blood and dirt the whole way. Still have scar tissue from where my braces tore into the inside of my lips. I looked like a burn victim for the next month or so, my whole face was all scabbed up. I was lucky it wasn’t worse, we rarely wore our helmets.

The next neighborhood over was being built, we used to skateboard inside the construction sites and dumpster dive for scrap wood and things, the neighbors would frequently call the cops on us, we would just skidaddle into the woods and ride off on one of our trails, never actually got caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:02 am

I just don't even know where to begin, stories of fire, gravity fails, knife games, IEDs... I'll be back.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:38 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:02 am
I just don't even know where to begin, stories of fire, gravity fails, knife games, IEDs... I'll be back.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:51 pm

A good chunk of my boyhood was spent playing neighborhood baseball. It didn't matter who it was with or where. The only label on the field was good player or bad player. If we had a lot big enough that we thought we could play in, we would. We'd mix it up every once in a while to make it dangerous. The most dangerous version of baseball was played with metal bats and golf balls. Dirty golf balls are the worst. You can't see them coming straight at you because, well, they don't come straight at you, and they're dirty so they're harder to see. Plenty of goose eggs and bruises. No lost eyesight. I remember hitting a shot so far that it hit this brick house that NoOne thought could be touched. So satisfying watching the ball hit the house then an eternity later hearing that bonk. It was a manly reminder of just how far the ball went. Good times.

This is good for me. It reminds me that I don't let my boy do enough dangerous things. Or just leave him alone.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:31 pm

BB gun wars, fire, sabotages, stupid challenges.. Oh how did we live through our youth?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:37 am

I tramped all over the Blue Mountains and valleys in Pennsylvania with a sling shot, BB gun or fishing pole. Fished the Schuylkill River watershed. I did this often alone, occasionally a brother or Amish friend and between the ages of 9 and 13. I carried a firearm after that.

I didn’t shoot anyone with a BB gun or sling shot, it was against the rules. Had I done that I wouldn’t have been allowed a “real gun” later. As it should be. Earn the privilege to have a gun. And when you do it goes anywhere you want it to go. All this having a “right” to firearms and shooting people with BB guns is so ‘Merican. :mrgreen:

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:06 pm

Cleon wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:38 pm
JimVH wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:02 am

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:07 pm

My dad taught me how to play mumbly peg.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:27 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

We used to sharpen sticks by rubbing them on the sidewalk to use as javelin or arrows for makeshift bows, made with sting and a stout stick..
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:11 pm

We used to shoot arrows as high and as straight up as we could and stand there. The first one to run was chicken. Franklin once stood stone still when one stuck deep in the ground not 5 feet from where he was standing. Franklin was never chicken.