Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
peter cornbriar
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor

packing pipe properly...

Post by peter cornbriar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:37 am

Mr.Librarian,

This topic may have been discussed elsewhere.If so,pardon me:
What is the rationale for the packing technique I call,"light pack,firmer pack, firmest pack" ?
(Where one first places tobacco in pipe then tamps it down with with a babies' touch,then next layer placed and tamped down with child's touch,finally last layer placed and tamped down with man's touch.)

I'm a little pedantic and want to know what the benefits of above pipe packing technique are .

Please and thanks.
The glory of God is the nature of God - that God is good.He is unfailingly good.He never changes,He will always be good.God has called us to do what we cannot do,only He can do it.He has called us to live in His faithfulness,He has called us to live in His consistency,that He will come and do all the things that need to be done.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: packing pipe properly...

Post by Goose55 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:17 am

peter cornbriar wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:37 am
Mr.Librarian,

What is the rationale for the packing technique I call,"light pack,firmer pack, firmest pack" ?
(Where one first places tobacco in pipe then tamps it down with with a babies' touch,then next layer placed and tamped down with child's touch,finally last layer placed and tamped down with man's touch.)

I'm a little pedantic and want to know what the benefits of above pipe packing technique are .

Please and thanks.
The benefit of that kind of pack is a good draw with some resistance. If a pack ever gets so tight there is too much resistance what I've found works great is to use the poker on a Czech Tool and run it all the way down opposite sides of the bowl. Presto, even draw restored.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Steve S
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Steve S » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:29 pm

The advantage is that it works.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:23 pm

As near as I can tell, it keeps the tobacco towards the bottom of the bowl packed a bit more loose so it doesn't restrict the draw. It seems to work pretty well so that's how I do it.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

driftedshank
Congregation
Congregation

Post by driftedshank » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:30 am

Generally speaking, I have to agree with Slow Toke about this technique, especially for ribbon cut tobaccos. Other cuts may benefit from different packing approaches, e.g., flakes, plugs and many codger style tobaccos.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:20 pm

There's lots of methods. Easy to learn, difficult to master.

Too loose causes problems, but too tight is unsmokeable.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:03 pm

peter cornbriar wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:37 am
Mr.Librarian,

Please and thanks.
That's how I was taught to pack. It works unless your tobacco is a cube cut
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."