Recent trip to Germany

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Recent trip to Germany

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:22 am

Still suffering just a bit of jet lag; I guess I'm getting a bit old for 10-hr plane rides and 7-hr time differences. So, here are a few observations:

1. The Boeing 777 is a nice plane and all, but it's still worth the extra money for an exit row seat for the leg room on a long flight. Same for the Airbus A380.
2. Time really does slow down when riding on an airplane.
3. There's still nice people in this world, including the flight attendant that held a baby while the mom went to the restroom.
4. But, there's still plenty of A__holes too. Rude and obnoxious behavior on an airplane is doubly annoying.
5. Bees flying around in the bakery, and crawling around on the pastries, are to be ignored. Ordering apple strudel "minus the bee" will generally not be accepted humor. (Note the bees on the top center danish, below.)
6. A single sternly-spoken "nein!" seems to carry more weight than the English word "no", even if the "no" is shouted. I won't expound on this now.
7. The carbonated apple juice drink is wonderful; as good as the beer.
8. James Bond appears to be popular in Germany.
9. Dogs and cats on airplanes? Note to self: Have pet treats on hand, laced with Dramamine or something stronger, which can be discreetly slipped into on-board animal containers.
10. Don't expect a laugh or even a smile from a flight attendant until at least the 3rd or 4th time you ask "are we there yet?".
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Re: Recent trip to Germany

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:14 am

Good Stuff! Was the trip for work? Did you get to drive as fast as you wanted? where is the pic of the beer and pipe?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:29 pm

I have dear snowbird friends from Germany who winter here in S. Arizona. Their little desert casita is just 2 blocks from here. They'll be back here again late next month. They are getting up in years and the trip is exhausting for them. They do layover in Atlanta and Phoenix, to ease the arduous long journey. They also travel with a house cat.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:20 pm

I enjoyed my time in Germany. There is a smoked beer that would be available around Christmas. It’s one of the things I miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:25 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:14 am
Good Stuff! Was the trip for work? Did you get to drive as fast as you wanted? where is the pic of the beer and pipe?
Yes, it was for work. I didn't drive, but there are generally no speed limits, although the fastest we went was ~140 kmh (~87 mph). I only visited 1 tobacco shop, which sold mostly liquor, and very limited tobacco.

I ended up buying a generic-looking cigar, which was actually an excellent smoke.

I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:14 am

Sweet!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD