9/11 remembered

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

9/11 remembered

Post by Hovannes » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:22 am

My bride got up early and woke me up in time to see the 2nd jet crash.
We're under the departure path for a joint use airport and I remember the eerie silence when all flights were grounded except for the 144th Air National Guard Fighter Wing which flew low and loud in an otherwise empty sky as if to say "We're here."
I found that mighty reassuring.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: 9/11 remembered

Post by Goose55 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:48 am

When after I had walked to work at 8 am in Marin County, CA, colleagues looked upset. Just south of us they closed the Golden Gate Bridge thinking it might be a target. The office closed and we all went home.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:24 am

I was in college. I was at the computer lab before math class and tried to log into a news site. Nothing loaded. I tried another news site. Again nothing. I noticed the computers to the right and left of me were operating normal on regular old websites. I asked a neighbor to try a certain news site on their computer and the same thing happened. Nothing. I don't know much about computers but I figured there must be some sort of high volume making all the news sites slow.

Then when it was time to go I passed by three people huddled around a radio. I asked what was going on and a lady responded, "They're bombing us!" I asked who, but she didn't know and she put her ear back to the radio. When I arrived at class, someone had turned a TV on in the opposite room and a huddle of students were watching one of the towers burn. Within moments of seeing the screen we watched the second jet crash. It was pretty surreal. We watched in the hallway for another 10 minutes or so and the teacher reluctantly started class, but gave us updates when she could.
"Do mo betta." -FredS

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:36 am

I was in 8th grade. It happened in second hour and we watched the 2nd plane hit. We went from class to class but no work was done. We watched the news all day.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:05 am

Pretty much like most everyone else, I guess... Was getting dressed to go to PT when I saw the second plane hit. Grabbed all my go-to-war gear and got locked in at work for about three days. We were scheduled to go to the range on the 13th, so we had plenty of ammo. Watched the news, talked to folks in DC, and activated a LOT of SATCOM links between units I didn't even know existed.
Gossett closed his bag of Cheezits and silently prayed

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:14 am

My son called me from Portland after the first plane struck. We turned on the news and were watching as the second tower got hit.

We continued to watch all morning, as the towers burned and then came down.

We were numb.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

peter cornbriar
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor

Post by peter cornbriar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:56 am

When it happened, we did not know it happened - only found out 3 days later,and that from passing by those do-it-yourself billboards outside businesses,you know the kind with the 6" high black letters on a white or yellow background.(We were coming home from camping).
We had just spent a week deep in a Pennsylvania State Forest camping,my family and I.No cell phone signal, no radio reception,no electricity,no running water.
'poxylypse could have happened and we would have missed it...

My wife swore she heard the F16 Interceptors pass by,high in the sky - you know the ones that the conspiracy nuts said shot down Flight 93 near Shanksville, PA, remarking that the jet noise stood in stark contrast to the sounds of the forest.

What I really remember is the passing of the Patriot Act by the sleeping fools on Capitol Hill. You know, the Act which gives the pond scum federal enforcement agencies license to break your door down without a warrant,and shoot you if that suits their fancy and is in the national interest to counter "terrorism".Say good bye to your civil rights,suckers.
NSA, did you copy that?
The glory of God is the nature of God - that God is good.He is unfailingly good.He never changes,He will always be good.God has called us to do what we cannot do,only He can do it.He has called us to live in His faithfulness,He has called us to live in His consistency,that He will come and do all the things that need to be done.

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:52 pm

My grandmother woke me and said Saddam had gone to war against us. I saw the second plane hit te tower. I remember being worried that the rapture was imminent. I was 20 at the time.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus