Bird Hunting 2018-2019

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Re: Bird Hunting 2018-2019

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:06 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:20 pm
I just took out my Wingmaster and fondled her a little. Nothing inappropriate.
When you have a Wingmaster, other shotguns that you own are just window-dressing...glad to hear you kept it classy
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:21 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:02 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:53 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:33 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:06 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:59 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:41 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:33 pm
First real cold snap last night (<20 f) has really got the geese moving today. Seems like an endless procession over my house.
It will take me about an hour to get there...go ahead and set up the decoys and I'll get there as soon as traffic will allow
Even better than the sheer numbers is the fact that they're flying low so I pressume they're going to/from the fields and not passing through up in the jet stream.
Time for you to break out the 870 Express
Better not. Since I killed and ate the neighbors cat, she get's nervous when I walk around the yard with a shotgun. I don't need the cops to come knocking again.

Seriously though, I hope they're still this active when you come up to hunt with your buddy.
I have seen geese over the house every day since Thursday.
I think migratory birds, like people, get to more sissified the further south they are. They leave Canada when it's 0 degrees. They leave South Dakota when it's 10. They leave here when it's 20. By the time they get down to Texas, they freak out when it gets down to 40.
Yep, they come here. When humidity gets to 100, and temp to 110, they go back north.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:29 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:52 am
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:36 am
sweeetandsour wrote:I have a mid-December trip to Kansas planned, near Hutchinson
I hunted near Hutch, farms outside of Pretty Prairie, for many many years.
Love that place!

Hope you have a terrific season.
Hutch, McPherson, and Great Bend form what I call the golden triangle in KS. The pheasant and quail hunting in the Smokey Hills region is forecast to be 'good' this year and chickens will be 'great'. 2018 Upland Bird Forcast
Got back home this morning about 1am. Very interesting place, Kansas. Those CRP grasslands are great, but man they're tough. I'm sore and Lizzy is more than sore. I think we stopped at every Braum's in Kansas and Oklahoma on the way home, and got senior discount on frozen yogurt waffle cones. There was one Braum's that we stopped at twice, going and coming home, where the server was a cute little girl that looked like she had rolled around in cocoa powder. My buddy's and my imagination got a little carried away there, and we knew it was time to get back home to our wives.
Oh, our total bag for the weekend was 20 pheasant and 9 quail.

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:46 am

Just so ya know - 20 pheasants in one weekend is PHENOMENAL.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:31 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:46 am
Thanks Fred. For me the whole experience was phenomenal, but you know, it was a big group (10 hunters, plus one guy that blocked and drove us around), and still, there were 2 or 3 guys there that constantly talked about how "this ain't like South Dakota". I did my best to keep my distance from those guys. We hunted private lands with landowners permission, and I really felt priveledged. One more thing about my first post that's misleading perhaps, we didn't bag 20, we knocked down 20. To everyone's dismay, there were several that we just didnt find, and we figured they hit the ground running and the dogs would start tracking and bump another and then off to the races, etc. But we counted every bird down toward our bag, even if we didn't get it into the bag. We took no tailgate pics, but a few singles and some misc shots. I'll try to post a couple later. Also btw, we hunted about an hour west of Hutch off of hwy 50, and also north of Hutch, north of Buhler ("Buhler? Buhler?"), close to the river. All beautiful country.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:03 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:31 am
FredS wrote:
Thanks Fred. For me the whole experience was phenomenal, but you know, it was a big group (10 hunters, plus one guy that blocked and drove us around), and still, there were 2 or 3 guys there that constantly talked about how "this ain't like South Dakota". I did my best to keep my distance from those guys. We hunted private lands with landowners permission, and I really felt priveledged. One more thing about my first post that's misleading perhaps, we didn't bag 20, we knocked down 20. To everyone's dismay, there were several that we just didnt find, and we figured they hit the ground running and the dogs would start tracking and bump another and then off to the races, etc. But we counted every bird down toward our bag, even if we didn't get it into the bag. We took no tailgate pics, but a few singles and some misc shots. I'll try to post a couple later. Also btw, we hunted about an hour west of Hutch off of hwy 50, and also north of Hutch, north of Buhler ("Buhler? Buhler?"), close to the river. All beautiful country.
Sounds like a great trip. Congrats
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:15 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:03 am
sweetandsour wrote:
FredS wrote:
Glad you had a good hunt, Tim.
My longtime hunting buddy and I spent a lot of time talking about getting back to that area when my new pup arrived.

Did you find any quail when you were there?
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:40 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:15 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:03 am
sweetandsour wrote:
FredS wrote:
My longtime hunting buddy and I spent a lot of time talking about getting back to that area when my new pup arrived.

Did you find any quail when you were there?
Steve, the group I was with we're mainly interested in fields where they had previously seen pheasant, and the very short of it is that we found only two coveys, albeit large coveys. The last two fields we hunted, where we had been told of birds, the dogs (Lizzy) found one small covey. Lizzy was the only big-running dog and she did her part to the end. The other 2 bird dogs were pretty much boot lickers. There was a black lab that did ok for her age, which was 10 or 12 yrs. There's plenty of food and cover, and I'm sure that if my buddy and I went back with just our dogs and just us, and run the hunt our way, focused on quail, that we could have a much more productive trip as far as quail.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:51 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:40 am
“durangopipe” wrote:Did you find any quail when you were there?
Steve, the group I was with we're mainly interested in fields where they had previously seen pheasant, and the very short of it is that we found only two coveys, albeit large coveys. The last two fields we hunted, where we had been told of birds, the dogs (Lizzy) found one small covey. Lizzy was the only big-running dog and she did her part to the end. The other 2 bird dogs were pretty much boot lickers. There was a black lab that did ok for her age, which was 10 or 12 yrs. There's plenty of food and cover, and I'm sure that if my buddy and I went back with just our dogs and just us, and run the hunt our way, focused on quail, that we could have a much more productive trip as far as quail.
Lizzy sounds like a great dog!
Seems to me like you outta give the farmers you met a call and try to get back there, just you and your buddy!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:16 am

A few pics from last weekend:
This is as close as I got to getting a pic of Lizzy on a point. This one was on a small covey of quail. Her tail is visible above the grass, just to the right of center in the pic.

There's 3 dogs trying to locate a downed bird here, buried in the grass; and 7 hunters getting in the way.

Part of the line-up, making a drive through a CRP field. Beautiful morning, light wind, ~25°.

This youngster bagged his very first pheasant, and then was gullible (and good natured) enough to pose for this pic.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:46 pm

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:16 pm

Bet that cat would taste better than the tweety bird.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:00 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:16 pm
Bet that cat would taste better than the tweety bird.
Cats, as are dogs, are off the menu.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:10 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:16 am
This youngster bagged his very first pheasant, and then was gullible (and good natured) enough to pose for this pic.
:lol: Okay, that's funny.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:12 pm

Hey Goose, this pic's for you. My dog, Lizzy, is on point here, on Saturday. Can you find her?

Just so you know what she looks like, this is she, pointing a covey yesterday.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:05 pm

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:01 pm

Meanwhile, in Concordia, KS . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdyVrUg84zs

Coco would not be pleased.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:20 pm

The 2018-2019 hunting seasons are quickly coming to a close here. Duck season for our hunting club was, to say it kindly, poor. And thank goodness it ends today. I was supposed to hunt with my grandson on Friday but he had to work. Saturday I opted instead to woodcock and snipe hunt with a good friend of mine.
My grandson hunted with one of his friends and had the best hunt of the season, and as a bonus bagged two blue winged teal that were banded - a rare treat around here.

My friend and I had a typical woodcock hunt - ~15 points, got a glimpse of ~6 of the birds, and bagged 2. We were wore out and so were the dogs, so we went across the road to a pasture that held some snipe, and had a brief shoot there. I took off the chaps I had on for the woodcock hunt, but left the knee brace on, and good thing. For 1/2 day of hunting we ended up with 7 snipe and the two woodcock.

Woodcock season ends on the 31st. Snipe ends in a week or two. Quail later in February, but I'll stop shooting them next weekend probably. This will probably be my last post to this thread. I'm getting old, and in need of a good stiff drink.