Bard Hunting 2018-2019

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
Posts: 3346
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am
Location: NW Washington (not Canada)
Contact:

Bard Hunting 2018-2019

Post by Sir Moose » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:56 pm

Big Changes Ahead For Oregon Shakespeare Festival's 2018-19 Season
The Oregon Shakespeare Festival has announced its next season of plays. The year will mark a transition and a big change in scheduling.
...
The 2018-19 season also brings a shift in the schedule. OSF usually runs some shows in winter through October. Others begin in late spring or summer and run through fall. This year, the company will do the same number of plays but take one production on the road. Compressing the remaining schedule will put more performances at times when audiences tend to show up in greater numbers: the middle of the season.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21200
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Bard Hunting 2018-2019

Post by Jocose » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:17 am

AMJ Where art thou?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21200
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Bard Hunting 2018-2019

Post by Jocose » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:17 am

AMJ Where art thou?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 22145
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Bard Hunting 2018-2019

Post by JimVH » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:51 am

One of my favorite pipes is a Smokemaster Bard.
Image

User avatar
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 7658
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Bard Hunting 2018-2019

Post by Goose55 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:03 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:56 pm
Big Changes Ahead For Oregon Shakespeare Festival's 2018-19 Season
The Oregon Shakespeare Festival has announced its next season of plays. The year will mark a transition and a big change in scheduling.
...
The 2018-19 season also brings a shift in the schedule. OSF usually runs some shows in winter through October. Others begin in late spring or summer and run through fall. This year, the company will do the same number of plays but take one production on the road. Compressing the remaining schedule will put more performances at times when audiences tend to show up in greater numbers: the middle of the season.
That's in Ashland, OR, just a stone's throw north of the CA state line. It's also a college town. Expensive real estate.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35769
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Bard Hunting 2018-2019

Post by UncleBob » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:21 am

Image
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6069
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Bard Hunting 2018-2019

Post by durangopipe » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 am

Hair It Is ... the bard, hunting:

Man named William Shakespeare convicted of murder for 'cold-blooded' shooting outside barbershop

William Shakespeare shot and killed Marcus Hall, 31, in broad daylight outside the Hair It Is barbershop in Boston on June 14, 2016, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley stated.

The men had a "tense verbal exchange" in the parking lot before the shooting, Conley said. Shakespeare then left the scene and returned a short time later using a "circuitous route through back yards and wooded areas.”
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23926
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Bard Hunting 2018-2019

Post by Hovannes » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:00 pm

Ask any California public High School class of 2018 graduate about Shakespeare and you'll get a deer in the headlights look.
Shakespeare isn't in the curriculum here anymore.

But they can tell you all about Caitlyn Jenner.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16980
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Bard Hunting 2018-2019

Post by hugodrax » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:40 am

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:00 pm
Ask any California public High School class of 2018 graduate about Shakespeare and you'll get a deer in the headlights look.
Shakespeare isn't in the curriculum here anymore.

But they can tell you all about Caitlyn Jenner.
Brilliant! If a post that banal and demonstrably false, coming from you, doesn’t flush him out of the tall grass, nothing will!
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23926
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Bard Hunting 2018-2019

Post by Hovannes » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:45 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:40 am
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:00 pm
Ask any California public High School class of 2018 graduate about Shakespeare and you'll get a deer in the headlights look.
Shakespeare isn't in the curriculum here anymore.

But they can tell you all about Caitlyn Jenner.
Brilliant! If a post that banal and demonstrably false, coming from you, doesn’t flush him out of the tall grass, nothing will!
Please, sir, demonstrate away.
I have spoken with the English teachers at my son's high school and Shakespeare is out.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16980
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Bard Hunting 2018-2019

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:27 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:45 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:40 am
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:00 pm
Ask any California public High School class of 2018 graduate about Shakespeare and you'll get a deer in the headlights look.
Shakespeare isn't in the curriculum here anymore.

But they can tell you all about Caitlyn Jenner.
Brilliant! If a post that banal and demonstrably false, coming from you, doesn’t flush him out of the tall grass, nothing will!
Please, sir, demonstrate away.
I have spoken with the English teachers at my son's high school and Shakespeare is out.
Google, sir. He doesn’t appear to be out of all California public high schools. Nor do I believe that every 2018 graduate could tell you all about Bruce Jenner but wouldn’t have a clue who Shakespeare was. A touch of hyperbole on your part, perhaps?

Going back thirty years, I believe we read King Lear and then watched the Taming of the Shrew on VHS. Cat Lady that taught the class made it really entertaining and enriching, I can assure you.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23926
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Bard Hunting 2018-2019

Post by Hovannes » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:31 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:27 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:45 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:40 am
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:00 pm
Ask any California public High School class of 2018 graduate about Shakespeare and you'll get a deer in the headlights look.
Shakespeare isn't in the curriculum here anymore.

But they can tell you all about Caitlyn Jenner.
Brilliant! If a post that banal and demonstrably false, coming from you, doesn’t flush him out of the tall grass, nothing will!
Please, sir, demonstrate away.
I have spoken with the English teachers at my son's high school and Shakespeare is out.
Google, sir. He doesn’t appear to be out of all California public high schools. Nor do I believe that every 2018 graduate could tell you all about Bruce Jenner but wouldn’t have a clue who Shakespeare was. A touch of hyperbole on your part, perhaps?

.

Going back thirty years, I believe we read King Lear and then watched the Taming of the Shrew on VHS. Cat Lady that taught the class made it really entertaining and enriching, I can assure you.
Hugo the abandonment of Classical Literature in CA public schools is the source of my angst.
I plead guilty of hyperbole but not without reason.
The insights gained from studying Shakespeare are very important and it concerns me that high school students, in my town and in the high school across the street, are being deprived.
And yes, Jenner is covered in classes, Diversity and all that, you know.

BTW, back in high school my class enjoyed A Midsummer Night's Dream for our intro to Shakespeare.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16980
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Bard Hunting 2018-2019

Post by hugodrax » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:54 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:31 am
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:27 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:45 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:40 am
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:00 pm
Ask any California public High School class of 2018 graduate about Shakespeare and you'll get a deer in the headlights look.
Shakespeare isn't in the curriculum here anymore.

But they can tell you all about Caitlyn Jenner.
Brilliant! If a post that banal and demonstrably false, coming from you, doesn’t flush him out of the tall grass, nothing will!
Please, sir, demonstrate away.
I have spoken with the English teachers at my son's high school and Shakespeare is out.
Google, sir. He doesn’t appear to be out of all California public high schools. Nor do I believe that every 2018 graduate could tell you all about Bruce Jenner but wouldn’t have a clue who Shakespeare was. A touch of hyperbole on your part, perhaps?

.

Going back thirty years, I believe we read King Lear and then watched the Taming of the Shrew on VHS. Cat Lady that taught the class made it really entertaining and enriching, I can assure you.
Hugo the abandonment of Classical Literature in CA public schools is the source of my angst.
I plead guilty of hyperbole but not without reason.
The insights gained from studying Shakespeare are very important and it concerns me that high school students, in my town and in the high school across the street, are being deprived.
And yes, Jenner is covered in classes, Diversity and all that, you know.

BTW, back in high school my class enjoyed A Midsummer Night's Dream for our intro to Shakespeare.
I get it. Theres a reason my kids are in private school, and its not for the social aspect. Where I live, it isnt a choice. I'm blessed to have been able to do it. A lot of kids dont have the choice. My kids arent yet reading shakespeare in school, but they've at least read some simplified versions (on their own, too). We have to be vigilant.

So you know, what I wrote was never meant to spark intense disagreement or to give you a hard time. I was just saying that if there was a comment ol Al would have responded to, it would have been yours. Shame he isnt looking anymore.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Post Reply