Colorado lessons, please

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Colorado lessons, please

Post by Hovannes » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:38 pm

My 18 year old son is off to Vail at the end of the month, to work as a Lift Operator.
He's taking a Toyota Yaris.
It has four good tires and a set of cables, but I suspect he may need something better.
Do your Colorado guys still use studded snow tires? We don't have those in CA so he'd need to get them, if they are even legal, in Colorado as well as a place to store his other tires.
I also suspect a block heater may be in order, as I doubt employee housing has garages.
OR is public transportation in Vail so good that he'd be better off without a car?
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: Colorado lessons, please

Post by FredS » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:24 pm

Studded tires are legal here but I doubt they'd be worth the bother. Vail does have a pretty good bus system so I'm sure he could catch a lift to the mountain, but damn, what 18 year old boy wants to be without his own vehicle? Even if he doesn't need it to get to work and back, he'll probably want to explore the area in his down time.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:21 am

We were stationed at Ft Carson, CO for three years when I was a kid. No garage and my father didn't have a block heater on either car. Have at least one parka and a new battery in the car.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:32 am

Colorado takes care of the roads quite well-- ski resorts are the main business of Vail so they work to make access available. Snow is an insulator-- ice scraping while the car warms up is required and good exercise. A lot of the time it may be just powder but some icing on the windows does occur.

He'll be alright and this will be a good experience. Encourage him that he is responsible. The culture in ski resorts is fun and generally responsible but can have a party scene.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:49 am

Thanks guys!
This'll be a great experience for the lad!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:34 pm

If he has a brass monkey, I recommend he keeps it inside.
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:03 am

Vail can be very fun, but parking is a major issue. The busses are great and the employees have always been good at sticking together and getting transportation. No need for the studded tires and while block heaters are nice it is not required in Vail. Vail is not as high/cold as say Telluride, Breckenridge or others and not as cold as Winter Park. He will have a quick learning curve and his new buddies that he is about to meet, will clue him in to parking and needs for the car.

Congrats to him!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD