Silicon mold question...

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Posts: 5828
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Silicon mold question...

Post by JMG » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:43 pm

My parents moved from my childhood home during my first few years in PNG. At the old house back in 1986 my dad built a workshop and my sisters put their hand prints and I put my foot print in the cement pad. I would really love to go back over there and make a mold of those impressions and use it to make another concrete impression to give my mom for Christmas. However, I've never used silicon or made any type of mold.

Anyone know anything about this stuff?
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35402
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Silicon mold question...

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:04 am

I have only used plaster. Sorry.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20923
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Silicon mold question...

Post by Jocose » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:43 am

UncleBob wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:04 am
I have only used plaster. Sorry.
Bigfoot casts?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9527
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Silicon mold question...

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:54 am

I use a product called Lexel, to repair leaking duck decoys. It never really hardens, per se, which is why silicones make good sealant material. If you're looking for a material to be hard enough to make an impression in wet concrete, why not try plaster.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35402
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Silicon mold question...

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:14 am

Jocose wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:43 am
UncleBob wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:04 am
I have only used plaster. Sorry.
Bigfoot casts?
Image

Was that YOU?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Posts: 5828
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: Silicon mold question...

Post by JMG » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:33 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:54 am
I use a product called Lexel, to repair leaking duck decoys. It never really hardens, per se, which is why silicones make good sealant material. If you're looking for a material to be hard enough to make an impression in wet concrete, why not try plaster.
I don't think plaster will work because I first have to make a cast of hand and feet prints on a concrete slab. I don't think I will be able get the plaster up once it hardens without it breaking...thus the need for silicon.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
Posts: 3270
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am
Location: NW Washington (not Canada)
Contact:

Re: Silicon mold question...

Post by Sir Moose » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:27 am

JMG wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:33 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:54 am
I use a product called Lexel, to repair leaking duck decoys. It never really hardens, per se, which is why silicones make good sealant material. If you're looking for a material to be hard enough to make an impression in wet concrete, why not try plaster.
I don't think plaster will work because I first have to make a cast of hand and feet prints on a concrete slab. I don't think I will be able get the plaster up once it hardens without it breaking...thus the need for silicon.
Check with the police crime scene folks - they've probably got some mad casting skills.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Post Reply