Pray For The Folks In Paradise, CA

Where two or more are gathered....
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Pray For The Folks In Paradise, CA

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:14 am

I lived and worked as a licensed painting contractor in Paradise, CA, a town the news is saying has been nearly destroyed by a ferocious wildfire. There are 3 routes out of that town to the west, but none to the east. The only road east turns into an almost impassable dirt road and there are thousands who live in that town of Magalia (also known as Paradise Pines), which adjoins Paradise. But it looks like the fire started west of Magalia and was blown west, so those folk in Magalia may be OK.

Prayers up for all the poor folk suffering in that area.

Last edited by Goose55 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Re: Pray For The Folks In Paradise, CA

Post by Hovannes » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:50 am

It's like the whole place exploded in a firestorm!
Praying.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:54 am

Hovannes wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:50 am
It's like the whole place exploded in a firestorm!
Praying.
Yeah. There are -- or should I say were -- highly combustible Ponderosa Pine trees everywhere up there. Last I heard this morning is the blaze is "0 %" contained and that indeed, the entire town of Paradise, CA has been destroyed. Such a shock to me because I had come to know that place very well having lived there many years.

This is astounding. The sequence is over a span of just 1/2 hour, beginning yesterday morning. From alertwildfire.org

Image from MOTIS satellite smoke plum from blaze being driven west by fierce easterly winds yesterday afternoon
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:28 pm

Been hearing about scores of people burnt to a crisp inside their cars and trucks, as they tried to flee. Hopefully, they were rendered unconscious by smoke before the flames.

Firefighters made no attempt to fight this fire. It was a firestorm, such as happened in Athens, Greece earlier this year.

The top stories of forest in which Paradise was, is Ponderosa Pine, highly combustible. LOTS of them, everywhere. The ground stories have lots of thick Manzanita, a very oily, dense wood that burns hot even when "green." This was a tragedy just waiting to happen.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:55 pm

Lord have mercy.

Good God! 8O

Cheese-n-rice!
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:05 pm

Prayed
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:03 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:55 pm
Lord have mercy.

Good God! 8O

Cheese-n-rice!
huh?

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:41 am

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:03 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:55 pm
Lord have mercy.

Good God! 8O

Cheese-n-rice!
huh?
#cheese#rice#jesuschrist#ohmygod
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:16 am

Praying.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:28 am

+JMJ+
Jocose wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:16 am
Praying.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:34 am

I lived in Paradise for 7 years and there was always a palpable yet mostly unspoken fear of what could happen if a fire ever ravaged the place. This was the perfect storm. After record rainfall 2 winters ago, underbrush that had grown so much and then dried through 2 long, dry hot summers was kindling for this unstoppable blaze.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:58 am

It seems like the whole state is burning up! No rain is predicted until after Thanksgiving.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:59 am

Fire officials say they expect strong winds to return Saturday night. The fire is just 20 percent contained.

Original Story:

PARADISE, Calif. (AP) — Not a single resident of Paradise can be seen anywhere in town after most of them fled the burning Northern California community that may be lost forever. Abandoned, charred vehicles cluttered the main thoroughfare, evidence of the panicked evacuation a day earlier.

Most of its buildings are in ruin. Entire neighborhoods are leveled. The business district is destroyed. In a single day, this Sierra Nevada foothill town of 27,000 founded in the 1800s was largely incinerated by flames that moved so fast there was nothing firefighters could do.

Only a day after it began, the blaze that started outside the hilly town of Paradise had grown on Friday to nearly 140 square miles (360 square kilometers) and destroyed more than 6,700 structures, almost all of them homes, making it California's most destructive wildfire since record-keeping began.

Nine people have been found dead, some inside their cars and others outside vehicles or homes after a desperate evacuation that Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea called "the worst-case scenario." Their identities were not yet known.

"It is what we feared for a long time," Honea said, noting there was no time to knock on residents' doors one-by-one.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:54 am

Truly heartbreaking.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:57 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:54 am
Truly heartbreaking.
Indeed. I see a the images after these large fires and it looks like something from a post-apocalyptic movie. Then I consider real people are dealing in real pain.

I can't imagine.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:18 pm

Pierre Markuse processed the satellite and infrared imagery from Landsat 8 of the Camp Fire in Butte County on Thursday, November 8, 2018, the day the fire broke out. The orange and red tones show infrared radiation emanating from the wildfire.

A 45 mph east wind fed and drove the fire right through the town of Paradise.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:09 pm

High smokey overcast in Fresno right now, blown in from the Camp Fire.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:29 pm

There's a blanket of smoke over the whole state!

Tonight overlooking the city of Huntington Beach:

Red sun

Just found out that one of my son’s friends lost a home in Malibu. We have other friends who have evacuated.
Last edited by Thunktank on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:40 pm

It's so sad that such a beautiful area of the U.S. must suffer such destruction. I had nothing but fond memories of the many years I lived in Paradise. Now those memories are gone.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:09 pm

The Historic 140 year old Honey Run covered bridge E of Chico was lost to the fire today