My New Kiribi Lighter

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

My New Kiribi Lighter

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:34 am

My new Kiribi Kabuto lighter arrived today in time to begin to break in JoeGoats new pipe. Nice presentation box with this lighter, and that it's made in Japan speaks longevity.

Image ImageImage
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: My New Kiribi Lighter

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:48 pm

Beautiful lighter, Goose. Let me know how that flip bar works. I'm curious about that design, but have come to the belief that petrol lighters work better for this old klutz.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:20 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:48 pm
Beautiful lighter, Goose. Let me know how that flip bar works. I'm curious about that design, but have come to the belief that petrol lighters work better for this old klutz.
THat bar lifts the cover from the butane ejector and then a flick of the flint wheel ignites it. Flip the bar back down to extinguish the flame. It is actually a very solid piece of equipment. Quite heavy. This one is $68 at Smoking PIpes.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:18 am

Nice lighter!
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:05 am

Nice, I tend to lose lighters so I buy them by the 5 pack...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:20 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:48 pm
I have a knockoff of this style of lighter that I spent maybe $10 on. The name escapes me... Anyhow, the design is elegant and very functional, but you get what you pay for and it now lays at the bottom of some junk drawer. If I hadn't fallen in love with Zippo pipe lighters I would have spent more money on a good lighter like this. My one and only gripe is that the slightest breeze would snuff it out.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:26 am

Congratulations. That looks like a great lighter. I think I like the way these look better than the Old Boy.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:32 am

I have that exact same lighter and it lasted about 6 years before it broke. There’s a polymer block underneath the bar that lifts up the cap which wore out and fell out. The screw that holds the same bar in place backed out and I didn’t realize it which ended up wallowing out the threads so I couldn’t secure it properly. Other than those issues it’s a great lighter and served me well!
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:09 am

7formy1911 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:32 am
I have that exact same lighter and it lasted about 6 years before it broke. There’s a polymer block underneath the bar that lifts up the cap which wore out and fell out. The screw that holds the same bar in place backed out and I didn’t realize it which ended up wallowing out the threads so I couldn’t secure it properly. Other than those issues it’s a great lighter and served me well!
Yeah, JMG mentioned that that screw does need to be checked once in a while, or for some Locktite to be applied to the threads.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:34 am

Very elegant lighter, Goose.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:24 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:34 am
Elegant, c'est la mot juste. A gentlemanly accoutrement.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:20 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:24 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:34 am
Elegant, c'est la mot juste. A gentlemanly accoutrement.
I've been really enjoying it. My place had become littered with large Diamond wood matches. Has a nice, very soft flame.